Peggy Gordon

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He grinned in response to her shy question and she smiled back, feeling some of the high, hot color drain out of her face.

"I like to know the names of pretty women who terrorize my horse," he replied smoothly and chuckled deeply when the color rushed back to her cheeks in full.

"Peggy," she replied at length, her voice soft. "Peggy Gordon."

"Peggy Gordon," Connor repeated, his deep voice rounding the letters of her name and making her feel strange. "I am honored."

"Connor!" Someone shouted from behind him.

Turning, Connor looked over his shoulder and Peggy followed his gaze, seeing a similar looking young man waving at the tall man before her.

"I'll be right there, Gannon!" Connor replied, lifting his hand in acknowledgement before turning back to Peggy. His smile was gone now, replaced by an expression of seriousness that looked almost uncharacteristic on his face.

She felt as though a spell had been broken with Gannon's shout. She straightened and met his gaze with a firm look.

"Shall I see you around the fires tonight?" He asked, sounding hesitant as though sensing her changed demeanor.

In truth, she didn't really spend a lot of time at the dinner gatherings. She much preferred to eat quickly and return to the shared room for whatever peace and quiet she could get. In spite of the circumstances of many families, the atmosphere every night was much too joyful for her. She felt that they shouldn't be so carefree while so many of their clan were dying or being taken hostage.

Arching a brow at Connor, Peggy shared these exact thoughts with him, adding at the end, "You make it a habit of winning the attentions of women at such a time as this?"

Connor looked stunned. He opened and closed his mouth a couple of times and rubbed awkwardly at the back of his neck.

"My goodness, Peggy," he finally said out loud. "You have very strong opinions."

"Don't presume to address me by such a familiar name!" She snapped, her cheeks flushing. She knew the hypocrisy of giving him that very name and then chastising him for it a minute later but she just couldn't stop speaking now. "And yes, women of this clan have many opinions." With that, she spun on her heel and left him standing with a gaping mouth as she went to find her sisters again.

***

And they did see each other at dinner.

Against her wishes, Peggy went to the gathering, telling herself it was only to keep an eye on her sisters. They soon slipped her grasp and she lost sight of them among the throngs of people. As her eyes roamed the crowd, they stopped on a head that towered above the rest. A head that was turned towards her and before she knew it was happening, Connor was making his way through the crowd, heading straight for her.

She turned to one side to attempt an escape but found the crowd closed in around her. Turning in the other direction did nothing but bring her closer to the approaching man. He stopped before her, a respectful distance away and inclined his head towards her.

Peggy felt her cheeks burn. Connor was several steps away but his great size drew the majority of the surrounding eyes. In spite of the space between them, she felt as though she was on display.

"Good evening, lady," he said to her with a small smile.

"Good evening," she replied shortly, trying to avoid looking directly at him. She couldn't allow herself to be lost in those green-brown eyes again.

"I am surprised to find you here tonight," he remarked, taking a step closer as someone brushed past just behind him.

"Why?" Peggy demanded, clenching her hands together in front of her.

Suddenly he grinned widely and Peggy was utterly distracted for a moment. Someone bumped into her, startling her and throwing her off balance. She stumbled, coming to a stop mere inches from the impressive form of the man speaking to her. He held out a hand to catch her and quickly snatched it back when she righted herself with a fierce glare.

"I just didn't think you'd come after hearing your reasons earlier," Connor said in response to her sharp question.

"My reasons for being here are none of your concern," she snapped, drawing herself up to her full height, which was still woefully small compared to him.

To her delight, Connor flushed and averted his gaze.

"I meant no offense, lass," he mumbled quietly.

"Choose your words more carefully in the future then, sir," Peggy said. "The women of this clan are not so accommodating." And she left him standing alone, shoving her way through the crowd and not stopping until she reached the shared room.

***

And tell to me the very reason
Why I am slighted so by thee...

They would run into each other several times over the next few weeks and each encounter ended as badly as that first.

Connor gave up on making conversation when he came to the realization that Peggy had no interest in conversing with him. It took another few days to realize that it wasn't just him she didn't speak to. She was snappish and abrupt with everyone except her father. This did ease Connor's wounded pride a bit but he still felt like an imbecile each time they crossed paths.

These were hard times for the clan though and Connor attributed her lack of sociability on that. He really had no idea what had happened to her family in recent months and she certainly wasn't about to tell him all about it. So Connor just did his best to avoid her.

And not avoid her.

He really was a mess. She'd said not a single civil thing to him since their impromptu introduction but he couldn't help liking her. He wasn't sure if it had been the look on her face during that first meeting or the rich blue color of her eyes. It might even have been the sound of her voice - if he ignored the tone and actual words. Something about her called to him and left him lying awake many nights, painfully aroused.

Pouring his attention into other woman did nothing to ease the ache either. Whenever it came down to a clandestine embrace in a dark corner, Connor found himself...unable to follow through. This merely left him more aroused and restless than before.

By the time word came of the encroaching force of Clan Fingall, Connor was longing for the chance to kill someone, if only to take his mind off this singular obsession. And the battle that lasted nearly three days and nights did just that. The feeling of relief lasted until he returned with the other warriors to the stronghold and saw her again.

The night of the celebration was growing progressively more difficult for Connor and his eyes continuously strayed across the crowded yard to watch Peggy. He watched as she spoke to her sister and he followed her movements until she strode from the light of the large bonfire, heading away from the stables.

"Connor!" Somebody bellowed his name, moments before a hand clapped him on the arm, upending yet another cup of ale.

"Whoops, sorry about that," the man, Peggy's father Cillian said. "Here, take mine."

Connor smiled weakly but accepted the offered cup.

"Why do you look so pensive, Connor?" The older man asked.

Connor smelled the alcohol heavy on his breath and fought the urge to wave a hand between them to stir the air. As much as he might dislike the man, he was Peggy's father and some small, hopeful part of him wanted to stay on the man's good side.

"It's been a full week, Cillian," Connor replied to the man's question.

"It has indeed, lad," Cillian agreed. "Which is why you should be enjoying the night." Suddenly the older man grinned. "Enjoying with some willing young lass!"

Flushing, Connor shook his head while Cillian laughed raucously.

"Were I not married already, I'd likely be off with one of these willing young women," Cillian went on, heedless of Connor's discomfort.

"Oh, you're married?" Connor asked. Now that he thought of it, he hadn't seen any other women with the family besides Peggy and her two younger sisters. Unconsciously his eyes sought out Peggy's slight frame but he couldn't spot her in the darkened yard. As he brought his gaze back to Cillian's face, he was stunned to see tears in the other man's eyes, surrounded by an abruptly sober expression.

"I was," he muttered and shook his head. "And are you, lad?"

"Me?" Connor asked, at a loss. Had anyone said he was married? "No. I'm not married, Cillian."

"You should be, Connor. It's wonderful." Suddenly the older man's face brightened. "Why, one of my own daughters is of an age for you!" He exclaimed.

Connor immediately got a sinking feeling in his stomach as soon as the words left the other man's mouth. He knew which daughter he was speaking of and she was of an age for him. She also had absolutely no interest in him, let alone any interest in marrying him. Connor opened his mouth to reply to Cillian's comment but he was already moving away from him, scanning the crowd and calling for his daughter Peggy.

"Ach, you'll love her, Connor," Cillian said, reaching back and yanking on the young man's arm. "My Peggy, she's...well, she's been taking care of all of us since..." And his voice trailed off, leaving the thought unfinished though Connor could pretty well fill in the rest.

Since the raids began, he thought silently, weakly following along behind Cillian as the older man led him through the crowded courtyard.

"Peggy?" Cillian called as they walked. "Peggy? Where is Peggy...?" he muttered and then exclaimed excitedly.

Connor's heart leapt into his throat until he spotted one of her sisters and realized that was who caught Cillian's attention.

"Kendall!" Cillian called and the girl whirled around from her small group of friends to grin at her father. "Come over here, lass," he ordered with a wave. "Have you seen your sister?"

"Imogen?" Kendall asked.

"No! Peggy!"

"Ah, I think she's inside," Kendall replied, her eyes flicking briefly over Connor before going back to her father once more.

"Thank you, child," Cillian said and immediately dragged Connor towards the main door to the big house.

Feeling the sick sensation in his stomach grow more intense, Connor dragged his feet, slowing the pace and then stopping altogether when he caught sight of the dark head moving among the crowd inside the main hall of the big house. Cillian hardly noticed, dropping his hand from his arm and rushing forward, calling his eldest daughter's name.

"Peggy! Peggy, lass, here you are!" He cried.

She turned slowly, a pinched look to her face and Connor's heart clenched. He wondered, not for the first time that night, why she wasn't as happy as everyone else around the stronghold; why she wasn't as happy as her own family.

"Yes, father?" She replied, watching her father approach, not noticing Connor at first.

"What are you doing inside?" Cillian asked, reaching her side and taking hold of her arms. "All the celebration is outside!"

"I know," she said with a shrug, her face not relaxing. "I was feeling cool."

Cillian shook his head and drew her close, putting his arm around her shoulder and turning her so they stood facing Connor together. Her eyes rose and met Connor's and Connor felt his breathing slow under her gaze.

"Have you met Connor?" Cillian asked, unaware of the tension radiating out from his daughter or just too drunk to notice.

"We've met," Connor murmured, when Peggy offered nothing by way of a reply.

"Have you now?" Cillian exclaimed, a please grin crossing his face. "I'm glad! I think you two would get on splendidly."

"Why?" Peggy asked coldly, her eyes not leaving Connor's face.

He felt trapped within her gaze.

"You're the same age and we've just had a great victory," Cillian replied, his tone suggesting that he hardly even needed to explain. "You do know that Connor was a big part of our victory today?"

"What victory?" Peggy snapped, jerking herself away from her father's side and facing him fully. "I see no victory here!"

"Peggy, calm down..." Cillian began, his face suddenly less merry.

"Don't you dare tell me to calm down!" Peggy exploded and Connor actually took a step back, the force of her outburst startling him. He was unaccustomed to women speaking so.

"Peggy..." Cillian tried again, his hands raised as though to placate her.

"NO!" She shrieked, backing away and glaring at his hands as though he was trying to hurt her. "You drink and your other daughters dance as though everything is all right but it's not! My mother and youngest sister are still in the hands of the enemy! How can you act like this is a victory when they are still being held captive?"

Connor blinked and slowly drew himself up to his full height as he absorbed what Peggy was saying. Before she could speak again, lashing her father with more sharp words, he stepped forward and looked down at the dark-haired lady who'd so captivated him since his arrival.

"What did you say?" He asked.

Her head whipped around and she glared up at him. "What business is it of yours?" She demanded.

"I was sent to this stronghold to assist in the battle against Clan Fingall," he told her, not wavering, though her eyes were flashing dangerously. "If there are still captives in the hands of those people, then this battle is not over."

She studied his face silently, a scowl marring her pretty features and Connor watched her carefully, seeing Cillian wringing his hands out of the corner of his eye.

"My mother and sister were captured at the start of the season," she told him quietly, her face softening only slightly as she spoke. "I haven't seen or heard from them since."

"No ransom demands have been made?" Connor asked brusquely.

Peggy sighed and shrugged. "Not that I would know of," she replied and her eyes darted to her father once again who then paled when Connor turned to face him.

"What demands have been made?" Connor demanded, stepping close to the other man, knowing and not caring how intimidating he was being.

This was unacceptable. Knowing that there were at least two captives still with Clan Fingall while this celebration was going on...Connor shook his head. No wonder Peggy was so upset and had been all along.

"I...I don't..." Cillian began but Connor stepped forward again, burying Cillian in his shadow.

"Stop lying, father!" Peggy snapped from beside Connor.

"I'm not lying!" Cillian said, holding his hands up. "Bowen and his men were handling all the negotiations."

"Negotiations?" Connor repeated, not liking the sound of that one bit. "Are there more captives?"

Cillian's eyes flicked nervously back and forth between his daughter and the giant before him. "It's possible."

"Possible!" Connor shouted and before he could stop himself, he'd grabbed hold of the front of Cillian's tunic and vest, jerking the man forward. "This battle isn't over! There should be no feast or dancing or drinking tonight!"

"Connor, please," Cillian choked out, his breath coming hard and fast and Connor immediately realized that everyone inside the big house was staring at them. He released the older man and paced a few steps away, which for him with his long stride was quite a ways. Turning back, he strode closer and glared at Cillian, trying to ignore the strange look he was getting from Peggy.

"I will get your wife back though you don't really deserve it," he announced and spun on his heel to walk away.

He stalked outside and straight across the yard to where Bowen was still gathered near the brandy casks with his closest friends and family.

"Sir!" Connor cried above the din, silencing those nearby entirely. "I would speak with you, Bowen."

Bowen froze, the cup in his hand raised halfway to his face as Connor spoke. Slowly, he lowered the hand and nodded, stepping away from the group and following Connor back across the yard towards the stables. Off to one side, Connor spotted Peggy standing near the big house, her face turned in his direction. But he couldn't pay her any attention right now; his very honor was at stake.

"Tell me the truth, Bowen," he began bluntly as they entered the relative solitude of the first big barn. "Are there still clan members held within Clan Fingall?"

Bowen looked back and forth between Connor's eyes for several seconds before responding. "Aye, a few."

"A few?" Connor spat out, barely holding on to his rage. He felt like such a sham. "How many?"

"Connor, why are you asking me this?" Bowen asked instead, dodging Connor's question.

"Honestly? Because there are people on your land and in your very house who don't have all their family back with them," Connor replied.

Bowen tipped his head to one side and a slow smile spread across his face. "You mean Peggy Gordon's family?"

"Among others," Connor said, lifting one shoulder to pass off his concern as nothing more than that. He hoped Bowen couldn't tell how his heart raced at the mere thought of the woman.

"Listen, Connor, these things take time," Bowen said, reaching out and patting the younger man on the shoulder. "Don't trouble yourself about it tonight. Come back to the yard with me and have another drink."

"Can you really pretend like there's nothing wrong, Bowen?" Connor asked, carefully stepping back and out of the reach of his arm. "Can you truly celebrate knowing that some of the people you're sworn to protect are without their loved ones?"

Staring up at him, Bowen said nothing. He merely shook his head and turned to walk out of the barn. Connor followed his steps with his eyes, glowering and hating his inability to change the situation. He longed to ride out immediately and do something about the captives still being held by Clan Fingall but everyone was drunk. If he was lucky he could get a crew together in the morning and even that would be a stretch.

He cursed mightily under his breath and looked down as he scuffed the dirt with his boot heel. As he brought his head back up, he spotted a familiar form standing in the entrance to the barn and his breath caught in his throat.

"Peggy," he breathed, freezing on the spot.

She slowly walked forward, holding a shawl tightly around her shoulders as she approached. Finally she reached his side and tilted her head back so she could look into his face.

"Connor, I want to apologize for my father's behavior," she said softly, her gentle voice sliding through Connor and making him feel weak all over. "It was..." she stopped and shook her head, unable to finish the sentence.

"It was a father's attempt to make one of his children happy," Connor said, finding his voice and thanking the gods that it didn't crack.

"Happy? How can I be happy knowing that my mother and sister aren't safe at home with us?" She asked, meeting his gaze.

"You can't," he replied breathlessly and gave a harsh, hollow laugh. "But he tried anyway. I can't fault him for that."

Peggy studied his face without speaking, her blue eyes flicking back and forth between his. "Can you not?" She replied quietly. "I can."

A thought occurred to Connor and he straightened, unaware that he'd even stooped to lean closer to her. "I suppose it must be...distasteful to you that your father even considered matching you to me," he said slowly, watching her face.

"What?" She asked, looking confused. "No, I don't...I mean, that isn't..." she paused, her mouth hanging open. "I'm sorry. I don't know what I mean."

"It's all right, lass," Connor said, feeling strangely at ease all of a sudden. She might not have denied it outright but she certainly hadn't agreed with him. That was enough to give him hope.

"I saw you speaking to Bowen," she said after a moment, glancing away.

"Yes, I asked him about the captives," Connor said, feeling the anger stir inside him once more.

"And what did he have to say about that?"

The hard edge to Peggy's voice upset Connor. That a young woman should even be thinking of these things, on a night that was meant to be a joyous celebration was upsetting.