That's Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,703 Followers

****

I arrived at the hall where my retirement party was being held. I couldn't believe all the people that showed up. Most of my close co-workers, a lot of friends and neighbors and some of our relatives attended. All six of my offspring were there with their families.

I couldn't help it, I broke out in tears. The only person that was missing was Mary. I know she would have enjoyed this party with all our family and friends.

Everyone was asking me about my future plans. I explained to them that I was working on a couple of ideas but would either be selling or leasing the homestead. It was just too big for one person. None of my kids were interested in it, they preferred the city.

The kids were a bit surprised but agreed that it was a lot to take care of. For the last two years they would come out and see me when they could but now, being retired I would be alone twenty-four seven. Another thing I noticed is that they visited a lot more when their mother was living. I'm not surprised because who wants to go visit an old man all the time.

I know my kids loved me but they had families and lives of their own. They did invite me to one of their houses for dinner most every Sunday. As Sandy, my youngest daughter said, "You need to eat something besides spam and eggs."

I told her I like spam and eggs and it was easy for me to make. It was one of the few things I could cook. Breakfast was usually cereal and toast. Lunch, when I ate it was lunch meat sandwiches and then spam and eggs for dinner.

At the party I talked with Jeff and Justin, two of my sons, about selling or renting the farm. Jeff was an accountant and Justin worked for a real estate agency. They had been looking at the value and numbers to help me decide what to do.

I did have a great time at the party and thanked everyone for attending. I knew I probably wouldn't be seeing much of most of them again. I wasn't the run around and visit people type person and I doubted most would be coming to visit me.

Over the next month I found a great place to live. It was in an enclosed condominium housing area. There were a few openings. They were rental units for people at least fifty-five years of age. Rentals were $1,400 to $1,600 per mo. You had to sign rental agreements for a minimum of two years. My son said it was a bit high but it had many added benefits. The question was, could I afford it?

I called all my kids together and explained to them that I was going to sell the farm. I got an offer of a million dollars for all the land. A developer was going to build a housing development and my neighbors had already agreed to sell. I held out for the price I wanted. Since I was in the middle of the development area and had all the acreage, I got the big offer.

In the following month we had an auction and sold most all the personal belonging. We had some farm equipment and tons of personal items. When all was said and done I was able to give each one of my kids a hundred thousand dollars and put the rest in investments and savings.

Stuart, my third son said I should keep the money to live on. I explained to him that it was part of their inheritance and I figured they could all use it now. I know I could have at their age.

I let them know that I received Social Security now. Also, my pension from Ford's as well as a monthly check from my savings and security program which I started when I first began working.

I did rent a condo in the mini village. It was really nice. There were four units attached, I don't know how many units all together but there were a lot. I bought new furniture for my condo but brought along my favorite chair which I bought at my own auction.

My kids helped me move in and after putting in shelving paper and all my stuff in the drawers, they took a walk around the gated community. They came back telling me about the pool and hot tub.

"This is a pretty nice place Dad, and safe too. We talked with a couple of men in the community enter and they told us they play hausey (a card game) on Tuesday nights and invited you to join them," mentioned Jeff.

"I'll look into it Jeff, always liked playing cards," I replied.

"Watch out for some of these women here Dad," said Sandy. "You don't want to go getting anyone pregnant." She was laughing, Mary always talked about safe sex with the kids. They all knew I had a vasectomy after Sandy was born.

I said goodbye to the kids and told Julie I would see her the following Sunday. I actually had to write on the calendar which kids house I was suppose to go to and when. The nice part was they were glad to have me visit. That makes every dad feel good.

When the owner of the condo units heard I was a former plumber he asked me if I would mind being the plumber for the condo units. Whenever a plumber was needed I would be called. He said I would be paid twenty dollars an hour with an hour minimum.

I thought this might be a great idea to give me something to do. All the units were only a few years old and most jobs would be leaky faucets and backed up toilets. He had a custodian who did most of the odd jobs needed but he wasn't the best plumber. But in a pinch I had a back-up.

My third day in my apartment I received my first plumbing job. A woman's grandson had tried to flush his plastic toy down the commode. She was a friendly enough woman and apologized over and over again.

I told her it wasn't a problem, that was what I was here for. I had to take the commode up and found the plastic toy. I replaced the ring and used new bolts to fasten the commode down. I was done in about two hours. It was a pretty easy forty dollars.

I averaged three calls a week for the first two weeks. Most jobs took less than an hour.

On Tuesday night I did go to the community center and met the men playing cards. They told me they got together every Tuesday, it got them away from their wives for a few hours. That week there were eight guys playing cards. Of the ones I met, only one other man was widowed.

I went again the following week. Most of the men who played cards were retired. Mostly business men, a few still owned small businesses but had others do most of the work now.

It was funny all the stories these men told. Mostly about their wives and how since they retired they didn't get hardly any rest at all. That was why some of them moved into this retirement community. They had a lot less work to do now.

They talked about how women seem to argue about every little thing. Saying things like, "They just don't know how to just enjoy life." "Always griping about something." I swear these men gossiped as much as women do.

They talked about other women and how their wives would get jealous if they looked too long at the divorced or single women. They didn't mind their husbands looking at the married ones quite as much.

"What about Nora," asked Bob. "My wife didn't like me looking at her even when she was married. She's a looker, that one is."

Bill replied, "I used to dance with her but after Rob died, my wife would get jealous if I just talked to her. She doesn't even come to the dances anymore and very rarely to the pool."

"She walks just about every morning," said Ben. "She sure keeps in shape. I still go to her to get my hair cut but tell my wife I go to a barber."

"Same with me," said Glenn. "She's just such a nice person. She's one you ought to meet John."

"Maybe someday I will. She sounds pretty nice," I replied. I had no idea who they were talking about but just joined in the conversation.

"Hey John, do you like baseball?" asked Ben.

"Yeah, I used to take my kids to the games when they were growing up."

"Well, our committee has booked a bus trip to Cincinnati to see a game in a couple of weeks. You ought to sign up. For some of us it's a day away from the wife."

After he said the last statement he said, "Sorry John, I keep forgetting you lost your wife," replied Ben.

"It's ok, I felt the same way when she was alive but you don't know what you have till you've lost it. I just might go to the game."

Two days later I received another call. It was rather late in the evening. Mrs. Norman said that her sink was clogged. I told her if it wasn't an emergency I would be over first thing in the morning around eight if it was alright with her.

She agreed and I was there first thing in the morning. A middle aged woman answered the door. She looked to be in her forties. I'm not the best with guessing ages but this gal was pretty much a beauty. I figured Mrs. Norman must be her mother.

Chapter 2 Start of a new life

"You must be John Mason, the plumber. I'm Nora Norman."

"Hi, pleased to meet you. So you have a clogged sink?" I asked.

"Yes, I do hair styling on the side and I think too much must have gone down the drain. It takes ten minutes for the water to recede."

Then it struck me that this just might be the Nora the guys at card club was talking about.

She had a room set aside for her business. It had a special type sink for washing hair. She turned on the tap and showed me how the water wouldn't drain.

All the time she was showing me the problem I couldn't help looking at her, she was so beautiful. Not all fancy and made up but she had natural beauty. She had on white shorts and a blouse but she looked sexy without even trying.

I was finally able to take my eyes off of her and get down on my knees to look at the drain pipe. I took out my pipe wrench and put a small bucket under the trap, along with some old towels I brought along. I knew once I took off the trap the water in the sink would pour out of the pipe.

I was just about ready to undo the trap when I looked back and Nora was smiling. "Ok, what's so funny?" I asked.

"I'm sorry, but I always heard about plumbers and their butt crack. When I thought about it, it made me laugh."

"You can't see mine! I have a long shirt on for that exact purpose. I don't think people care to see an old man's butt crack." I had to chuckle myself.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have never told you. It was very wrong of me," said Nora.

"It's ok, if you ever want to play 'you show me yours and I'll show you mine', let me know. Right now I better get back to cleaning out this trap."

Nora was laughing as she left the room and I proceeded on with my work. I turned the wrench and the water gushed down into the bucket. She was right and the trap was full of hair. I cleaned out the trap and put the sink back in order.

I took the old towels and cleaned up some of the spilt water. Nora came back and asked me if I would like a cup of coffee. I said yes and after finishing my work I joined her in the kitchenette.

I had so many questions for her but wasn't sure where to start. After all she was just a customer at this point.

"Mrs. Norman, is this your apartment? I'm sorry for asking and you can tell me to butt out if you like, but I thought you had to be at least fifty-five to live in these condos? I can hardly believe you're that old. When I first came in I figured it was your mom's condo."

She smiled which was a good sign. I also noticed she was wearing a wedding ring. I wish I had seen it before asking her anything.

"First off, please call me Nora and this is my apartment for now. Thank you for the complement about my age. You are correct though, I'm not fifty-five, I'm fifty-three."

"Well, your husband is a very lucky man to have such a nice looking wife."

"Rod, my husband died last year."

That's when I remember the men at card club saying she was a widow. "I'm so sorry, I don't know what to say. My wife died two years ago and I think about her all the time."

She touched my hand and I felt a genuine warmth radiate from her. "I'm sorry for your loss also. I guess we do have something in common. Rod was killed in a plane accident last year. I took it pretty hard even though we were only married a few years. It was my second marriage."

Not only was she easy on the eyes but was also easy to talk to. We must have drunk the whole pot of coffee while we talked. She explained to me that her husband was fifty-five when they got their condo five years ago. They signed a three year lease and renewed it two years ago for another three years.

Now her problem was that her lease would run out next year and she would only be fifty-four. The rules definitely say you must be fifty-five and she wondered if they would renew it when the time came.

We talked for awhile. She asked me how long I have lived in the condo since she has never seen me before.

I told her I had only been there a few weeks and really didn't know much about the neighborhood. She asked me if I would like her to show me around and explain some of the activities that they held there.

We agreed that she would take me on a tour the next day and even have lunch together at the local restaurant. I almost hated leaving but she told me she had a hair appointment and some of the locals already gossiped about her.

The next morning I showered and shaved and put on one of my better shirts and dress pants. When I arrived at her apartment she looked great.

"Nora, excuse me but I have to tell you that you look awesome, as my grandkids would say."

"You don't look to bad yourself," she then smiled. I loved to see her smile, it was so real.

We started out by walking to the community center. I didn't tell her I had been there to play cards on Tuesdays. She explained that they had dances and bingo as well, and some of the men and women had card clubs there.

The center could be used for birthdays and celebrations if anyone wanted to use it. Family was always welcome to visit and even stay overnight at the apartments. They just couldn't live there permanently.

"So have you been to any of the dances here?" I asked.

"Rod and I used to go every month. It was so much fun. After he passed away I tried to go by myself once but a few of the local wives didn't like me being there. I guess they were afraid their husband might want to dance with me."

"Stupid old prunes," I said, "but I can see where they might become jealous." It earned me another smile from Nora.

"Do you play bingo?" asked Nora.

"No, I don't hardly think so." I had to laugh.

"Really, you should go at least once and try it. I bet you'll have fun."

"I'm more into sports. Want to go to a ballgame with me?" I joked but it looked like she was thinking about it.

"I make you a deal John, you go to bingo with me on Saturday and I'll go a ballgame with you."

I couldn't believe she was serious. Why would this good looking woman want to go out with me? "Are you serious?" I asked. "Why me?"

"John, since Rob's death I haven't been anywhere except with my sister. I haven't dated a man in over a year. For some reason I think you understand and I'm willing to take a chance with you. I can use a friend."

I could tell she was serious. "I haven't really dated anyone since Mary's death either. I usually just attend family events but I'm willing if you are."

We made a date to go play bingo on Saturday. I also told her I was going to order tickets to a major league ballgame for the following week.

We left the center and she took me to the pool area. She told me the same rules apply at the pool. You can invite family but you have to be with them while they are there. They also had two hot tubs in an enclosed building with changing rooms and all. I asked her if she used them and again she said not since Rob's accident.

I could picture her in a bathing suit. I saw a smile cross her face, she must have been able to read my mind because she said, "Let's do the bingo and ballgame first and see how it works out.

After showing me the walking paths and other areas of the condo neighborhood she said it was time to see the surrounding neighborhood. We got in her car and she showed me where the different stores and restaurants were.

Being with her felt good. I hadn't felt that way around any woman since I lost Mary. We ended up at a little café and had lunch. She said we would both pay for our own lunch.

"No Nora, you went through all this trouble to show me around and the lunch is on me."

"It isn't necessary..."

"I insist Nora, I'm still old school. The man should pay for his date. When we play bingo you can pay for your own card." We both laughed.

"So, you consider this a date? asked Nora.

"I don't know, it's been so long since I asked a woman out." I have no idea why I felt close with this woman. She was nine years my junior and looked even younger. Beautiful, pleasant personality, and fun to be around.

There were things I wanted to know about her but didn't want to ruin the relationship with my new found friend. We ate lunch and talked some more. She told me a little about her life and I told her a little about mine. I honestly have to say 'opposites attract' at least in my case.

Nora told me that Rob was her second marriage. She had been married before for over twenty years. Her husband was an executive in a company. He was gone a lot and so she started her own beauty salon to keep busy. She has one son who lives in Germany. She has seen him three times in the last fifteen years.

The first time was when he was getting married, she and her husband flew over for the wedding. Four years later she flew over to see her new grandbaby. The last time was when he came home for his father's funeral. That was over seven years ago.

After his death she put all her time into her salon. She met her second husband Rob in the salon. He was a friend of her first husband. He was divorced and got his hair cut in her salon. He always asked for Nora when he went there.

They began dating and eventually got married. He was a business executive also but didn't travel quite as much. He retired early and that is when they moved into the condo.

She sold her business but did hair out of her apartment. She would also go to her friends condos and cut their hair there. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were the only three days she worked.

When I told her how nice she looked she did mention that she always did her best to keep in shape by walking or jogging most every morning when her schedule permitted it.

"If you're ever interested in walking in the mornings, let me know. It really is a good exercise and yet easy. Besides, it would be nice not always walking alone."

I told her that I would keep that in mind. It sure would be a good way to see her more often. It probably wouldn't hurt a get a little exercise either.

On Saturday afternoon I walked to Nora's apartment which was about a block away from mine. She met me at the door and we headed over to the community center to play bingo. It was hard for me to believe I was doing this. I hadn't played bingo except with the kids when they were little. I was always the caller.

I've never gave any thought to playing bingo for real even though Mary would go once in awhile. I guess it just didn't seem manly.

The place was really crowded. There was probably ninety percent woman but at least there were a few men there. I only saw one that I had met when I fixed his leaky faucet.

A lot of women were happy to see Nora, they were even more surprised that she was with a man. While she was talking to a couple of women I got in line to get my bingo card. A couple of minutes later Nora was behind me smiling.

When I got to the desk the man asked, "How many cards sir?"

"Just one," I replied. He looked at me kind of odd as I gave him a dollar for the card.

"I stood to the side while Nora got her cards, "Sixteen please," she said.

I couldn't believe it. How the hell was she going to look at sixteen cards. Now I felt kind of stupid only having one. I asked the guy for another card and gave him another dollar. Nora smiled.

Nora and I found a table to sit at where she would sit across from me. As she spread out all her cards I asked her how she could keep track of all of them?

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,703 Followers