Why I Hated The Guy From The FBI Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Antonia dropped her head and sighed. "I guess I have been kind of foolish, Eminence. It seems I still have a lot of growing up to do."

"You are not being foolish, Antonia. You have just brought a new life into this world. It is something a man will ever never understand. It is a thing a woman, who has not carried a child inside herself, will understand. Your body needs time to readjust itself to who you were, before you were pregnant with him. When that happens, you will have the same capacity for love and generosity you had before you gave birth. Come into the rectory, with me, and call your husband, who is going out if his mind with worry. Then you can call your mother and she will start making lunch."

Antonia stood up, hugged the Bishop, and tried to retrieve her son.

Bishop Delphini said, "I am not finished with this young man. I have to discuss his future with him."

Antonia said to the Bishop, "Tell him he is not going into the military, regardless of what his father says to him."

"I do not consider the Society of Jesus a military institution."

"He will not be a Jesuit, either, Eminence. He can go to school at a Jesuit University; however, if he chooses to take Holy Orders, I prefer he be in a more liberal branch of the church; like the Franciscans or the Augustinians."

"Antonia, I can see you and I are going to have many conversations, about PA's future."

Antonia smiled. "How about I take you to lunch once a month, until he is 18 years old? It will be cheaper for me, then going to a psychiatrist."

"I will pencil you in for the first Monday of every month, at 1 o'clock. I must warn you; however, I love Chinese food."

After consultation with Anthony Castronova, Anthony Caruso knew the time was right for him to start coming out of his self-imposed coma. It would be theatrical, and heart rendering, as well as a slow healing process to convince all the law enforcement communities that this had not been an act. It would start a few days after Antonia gave birth to Philip.

Two contractors who had never been in the "hospital room" with Anthony Caruso, were being given instructions, and asked questions about making the room more cheerful, because everyone who entered it was in such a poor frame of mind.

While they worked and discussed options, Rose, Antonia, and Frank came into the room with the newborn Philip. Rose placed Philip on his grandfather's chest and said, "Anthony, your daughter has given you a gift; your first grandson. He is named for both grandfathers. You have everything in the world to live for, Anthony. Please stop sleeping and come back to me."

Antonia was hugging Frank, as Rose dropped her head onto Anthony's left arm and started to cry. She left Philip unattended, on Anthony's chest.

All eyes in the room were on this tender moment. A short time later, Philip Anthony started to move around, restlessly, on his grandfather's chest. Anthony's right arm moved, ever so slowly, up the side of his body, until his hand rested on Phillips back.

A contractor yelled, "He moved; he moved his hand!"

Antonia yelled, "Mama, look at daddy's hand. He is holding Philip."

Bells on the monitors started going off, like those in a fire station. Nurses came running to Anthony's aid; pushing everyone aside. When the Doctor came running in, he yelled, "Everybody out, turn off the lights."

Rose said, "I am not leaving my husband."

The Doctor replied, "Mrs. Caruso, this may not be the beginning, this could be the end."

Rose replied, "That is even more reason for me to stay here."

As the doors to the room were closed, and everyone inside calmed down, Tony opened his eyes and said, "I think that went very well; don't you?"

Rose smacked him on top of his head, and then kissed him.

The word was all over Milan, before sundown, that Anthony Caruso had either come out of his coma, or had died. His medical team had been working feverishly on him, when the contractors had left the mansion.

As soon as the first police officer heard the news, he called it in to his chief, who called the headquarters division, who called the FBI; who did nothing. The chief of station wanted to know if he was dead or alive, before involving Washington. All he needed was another fiasco on his hands, and he would find himself in some hellhole, in Africa.

The following day, it was announced that Anthony Caruso was no longer in a coma, and was out of danger. His brain activity had increased substantially; and he would be returning to the hospital, for extensive testing.

A priority one message was sent to Washington, updating FBI headquarters of the status of the Anthony Caruso. It was received at the same time CNN, MSNBC, and every other news organization around the globe was breaking the story.

When the press was made aware of the circumstances, behind his miraculous recovery, it became headline news. The contractors were besieged for interviews. They had seen it happen, because they were in the room, with the family, when it occurred. They were independent witnesses, and their stories became part of the Anthony Caruso folk lore.

Philip Anthony Gennaro became known as the miracle baby. He had summoned his grandfather back to life, from the depths of the unknown. The doctors had no other explanation for his instantaneous recovery.

The press wanted pictures of the PA, but Frank and Antonia absolutely refused. They feared it would put him in danger of being kidnapped; or the object of people wanting to touch him, for a miraculous cure. Finally, after intense negotiation with the press, an agreement was reached. Two photographers would be chosen, by lot, to take pictures, as long as they were released to all press outlets at the same time, and no money exchanged hands. No press organization would infringe on their private lives, until Philip was 5 years old. The press would never release any information about the pre-school Philip was attending.

Once the documents were signed, sealed, and delivered; the media frenzy began. The only Magazine Cover Philip did not appear on, was the 'Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.' He might have made that also; however the models were worried he might want to start suckling on their insured 'TITs'. Magazine and newspaper sales hit record highs for the next two months. PA was the lead story on every Talk Show, from Letterman to Doctor Phil. Philip Anthony became the baby name of choice around the globe.

Anthony Caruso was put through three days of 'intensive testing' in the hospital and was declared fit to return home. He would have to undergo physical therapy, to regain his fine motor skills. However, he was able to walk and talk remarkably well. Due to blood loss, at the time of the shooting, and the lack of oxygen to his brain, he had lost much of his long-term memory, which may or may not return, with time. It appeared that his short-term memory would be unaffected. He was able to recognize his wife and daughter. However, when he was shown a picture of his son, Vincent, he had a hard time recalling who he was. The doctors were optimistic he would gain full cognitive function, from this point forward, but as far as his past memories, only time would tell.

These reports, by two eminent neurologists, a neurosurgeon, and a psychiatrist were released to the authorities. After they were reviewed by their forensic specialists, the FBI saw no sense in questioning Anthony Caruso. They believed it would be a waste of their time. As is normally the case, doctors rarely contradict other doctors, unless there are glaring errors. In this case, there was none. The case against Anthony Caruso was marked closed and years of paperwork, recordings, films, and photographs, were filed away, permanently.

Anthony Caruso was a free man.

The End

Chapter 15