Why I Hated The Guy From The FBI Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I do not mind leaving Tony, but I still do not know who we are talking about."

"The man who set up the hit is the head of the plumbers union, John Campi. The man who ordered him to do it is Michael Montalbano. The reason is simple: 'Greed.'"

Charlie went over this in his mind, and saw how it was possible for these two men to have come up with this scheme. Killing Mancuso would create a power vacuum in most of Brooklyn. The border of Mancuso's territory abutted Montalbano's and he would be able to make a move into it Mancuso's territory, quickly and easily, if there was no immediate successor to take his place.

Charlie told Tony he would arrange a flight back to New York Saturday and would speak with Ed Cross Monday, about removing his surveillance teams. If he asked too many questions, he would take him to lunch.

Tony looked at Antonio Castronova and asked, "Are you ready to make a move into the United States?"

"How would I do that without starting a war?"

"How many people know that Roberto is part of the 'Family Business?'"

"Everyone believes Roberto is a vice president of a bank."

"If a wealthy banker, purchases a struggling U.S. business, he automatically becomes a candidate for US citizenship, as long as his record is clean. I assume Roberto's record is spotless. His money will be spotless, I will make sure it. You can pay me back with the profits that come in through our mutually beneficial agreements. We will announce the sale of Marco's business to Roberto, less than one month after his funeral. I will be here, in Milan, at that time, and Alberto will be back in Costa Rica. Montalbano will feel free to make his move into Brooklyn. He will become careless, and he will become dead. Then we will introduce Roberto to the commission, and inform them that he owns Alberto and my property, and is willing to share a portion of Montalbano's property with them."

Frank said, "Tony, they do not know me, and I am willing to take him down.

His dad said, "You could not hit a stationary target at 800 meters. Now you think you are going to hit a moving one. I will take care of it for you. Tony."

Tony looked at the Gennaro's and said, "What is the matter with you two? I would wager that neither of you has a parking ticket between you. Now you are willing to kill two men for me."

Phil asked, "Does a jaywalking ticket count?"

"Philip, I appreciate the offer, but I could not let that hang over your head for the rest of your life. I have people that used to work for me that will handle it."

Frank reminded Tony of one major problem with doing it his way. "If your man gets caught, he is going to give you up before he sits down to be interrogated. If either one of us gets caught, the only thing they will get out of us is that he killed a member of our family, and we were getting even. It can even be done at 400 meters, and they will never find the remains of the bullet. "

"The infamous water bullet does not work, Frank. We tried it."

"Yes, Tony, we knew all about it. We fed you that technology, and you bought it; hook, line and sinker."

Tony laughed and said, "You sneaky bastards; do you know how much money we sunk into that project?"

"Do you really think the Bureau cared?"

"Are you two really sure you want to do this? Frank, you had a new son. Philip, your wife is expecting your second child. Think about this very carefully and talk it over with them before you commit to it."

"No, Anthony, keep the women out of this," Philip demanded.

Several hours later, the ladies returned from shopping. Antonia immediately handed PA over to his father, and said, "Diaper."

Rose kissed Anthony, and knew something was amiss. "What is wrong dear, what did you break?"

"Sit down, Rose, it is worse than that."

Rose did not like the sound of her husband's voice. She put her bags down and sat in the chair beside him. Antonia stood behind her mother, and listened as her father began to talk.

"Rose, Marco was murdered today, in his office."

Rose's face turned ashen, but she immediately asked how Angelina was.

He said, "Sarah Appleby was at the scene of Marco's murder. She took it upon herself to go to Angelina and tell her what happened, even though she did not have to do it. When Angelina fainted, Sarah to care of her. When Angelina was able to compose herself, Sarah drove her to Donna and Vincent's home. She took care of Annarosa, while Angelina broke the news to Donna and Vincent. Donna took it very hard at first, but then turned stoic about the situation. Vincent did an excellent job of quieting the situation. He is growing up to become quite a fine young man. I spoke with Angelina for a few moments and I told her that we would be there in a few days. I told her not to worry about anything. She would be fine. I have several business phone calls to make, but I have to make them discreetly and from public telephones. When that is done, I will call the airline and make our arrangements."

"Anthony, I must know right now, if you are going back into business."

"Rose, I promised you that I would never do that again. I am going to keep that promise to you for the rest of my life. There are just a few things I have to handle, when we go back to Brooklyn. We will be back here in Milan, within one month, or less."

"Thank you, Anthony. I could not stand the thought of losing you."

"When we are in New York, I am not going to do anything that will put me in danger. All I am going to do is talk to people. The only weapon I am going to be carrying is my mouth."

"That big mouth of yours has gotten you in a lot of trouble in the past, Anthony. Maybe I should buy you a muzzle."

"Rose, you are spending too much time with our daughter. She is rubbing off on you again, and your barbs are becoming lethal."

Antonia said, "I want to go to New York, with you, daddy."

"I have already told Frank, he could come with me, and his father. You will stay here and take care of PA and Gloria.

"I never get to have any fun anymore."

"Going to a funeral is not fun Antonia."

"No, it is not; but I would have been able to see Annarosa, Donna, and Vincent, while I was there. That would have been fun for me."

"I am going for a ride, so I can take care of some business. I will be back soon."

Antonio and two of his brothers got up and followed Anthony to his car. They would have to find out if this was a one-time contract killing; or if it was going to be more wide-ranging; and involve other family members.

Charlie and Ann left on Saturday, and arrived Sunday morning in New York. He called the friends, who had attended his wedding and asked for a meeting that evening. He told them it was of great importance to him.

Charlie had reserves a private dining room for the 10 of them. They ordered dinner, but Charlie would not allow any of them to order hard liquor, because of what he was going to discuss with them. Many of his friends were not pleased.

When everything was ready. Charlie said, "Everything I am about to say is off the record, and must never be repeated, even among yourselves. Marco Mancuso was not killed in a robbery. It was a professional hit. It was done at the behest of Michael Montalbano and carried out on the orders of John Campi. If you want a paper trail, fingerprints, or a cartridge shell, I cannot give you one. However, I know it to be true. Montalbano wants to take over all of Brooklyn. With Caruso in Milan and Di Angiola in Costa Rica, he does not see Vincent Caruso as an obstacle to his power grab. If Vincent tries to take over for his father-in-law, Montalbano will have him killed, also. When the funeral is over, if you have vacation time take it. Go to a resort or someplace public, with your family, and be able to prove it. Keep records of where you were and what you were doing at every hour of the day. Retribution is coming and people are going to die."

"Charlie, are you a part of this?"

"No, I am going to be in California, with my bride, waiting for my baby to be born."

"How do you know all this stuff?"

"I was at a very fancy wedding, with the Vice President of the United States on July 1. I heard a discussion going on about this."

"You are full of shit Charlie."

"I have been told that many times in the past, but I am trying to save you guys from being in trouble. I am going to speak with Ed, Monday and give him the same warning. I do not know what he is going to do with it. However, I hope he plays it smart and keeps this from turning into a gang war."

"Shit, that is exactly what we need right now. Congress thinks we are always targeting the Italians. Now were looking down the barrel of a mob war. That would not look good on the front page of the Daily News."

Charlie said, "Okay guys, I have a pregnant wife back at the hotel and an early meeting tomorrow with Ed. Be smart, keep your powder dry, and your vests on. After Mancuso is buried, if negotiations fail, lead is going to fly."

On Monday morning at 9 AM, Charlie walked into Ed Cross' office unannounced. He said, "Good morning, boss, how are you doing?"

"Hi Charlie, since you found that submarine, I am no longer your boss."

"I know Ed, but I need 10 minutes of your time."

"Okay Charlie, what is so important?"

"I know this is going to sound funny coming from me, but I have to ask you something before I start, 'Is your office bugged and am I being filmed?'"

"Yes, Charlie, it is. What is going on?"

"Can we go for a walk, because everything I have to say has to be off the record."

"Is it that important, Charlie?"

Charlie didn't answer, he stood up, and started to leave the room.

Ed grabbed his jacket and walked with Charlie, outside the federal building, and down one of the narrow side streets. Charlie told him about the Mancuso incident, and everything else he told his friends on Saturday evening, without mentioning them. Then he said, "Ed for your own safety and well-being, you should send a letter to Washington headquarters, and the Congressional Oversight Committee, telling them that you are pulling all surveillance details from the five families, because after years of investigation, nothing you have found would convict them in a court of law. You do not want your agents to look like they are profiling Italian citizens again, and they are going to start sensitivity training immediately."

"Charlie, are you on the take? Do they have something on you that they are using to help them get us off their backs? They are dirty as hell, and both you and I know it."

"We knew Mancuso was dirty, also, didn't we, and look where we wound up. Even the cops are calling him a hero."

"We dropped the ball on those three Charlie. It was a fluke, we got set up, and we did not know it, until it was too late."

"I am telling you this as a friend, not as a former subordinate; do as I have asked you to do, and in less than one month, two of your problems will disappear forever. If our agents are still in play, they could be put in jeopardy, and this could turn into a mob war. I do not believe either one of us wants that to happen."

"Can I at least tell them I have a deep cover informant?"

"I can give you a name, Ed, but he is going to die, during this house cleaning."

"At least that will give them something to chew on Charlie; who is it?"

"I am just going to warn you, this one more time, Ed, do not put our people in the way. I don't want any of them hurt. They are going to be outgunned: Pistols against assault weapons. They will get mowed down like a field of grass."

"I promise, Charlie, our guys will be no place in sight. Who should I say is the informant."

"John Campi."

"You mean to tell..."

"Not another word Ed, our discussion is ended. I am leaving for home this afternoon. Stay safe my friend, I do not want to read about you in the papers."

"You will not read about any of us in the newspapers, Charlie, I give you my word."

Ed returned to the Federal Building, and as he was approaching his office, he said to his secretary, "Carol, come into my office. I need you to take a letter."

60. Retribution

Sunday morning, Anthony and Rose Caruso, Frank and Philip Gennaro, Antonio and Roberto Castronova departed Milan for New York to attend the funeral of Marco Mancuso. Rose was very somber all the way across the Atlantic. She was not sure Anthony would keep his promise to her, and stay retired from the 'Family Business.'

However, Anthony was resolute. His phone calls to New York had set up a meeting with the commission, and he told them, he was not happy. When a Don told the commission members, he was not happy; blood was already in the water. They would have to find a way to keep the sharks from killing each other.

Two rifles of the quality of the one used at the shooting range had been purchased in Kansas. They had been zeroed in by a professional marksman. These very expensive rifles included: a laser pointing system, an infrared and twilight scope, as well as a sound suppressor.

Eight explosive 'Gallium' bullets were made for these rifles. The soft metal core, along with its explosive charge, would kill a man, instantly, leaving no useable trace evidence for the Medical Examiner to recover. Four practice rounds were made, with the exact weight component as the lethal ones. The only difference was, these had blue tips.

Everyone who touched the rifle, or bullets wore gloves, and afterwards, everything, from the largest to the smallest component was oiled, wiped down, reassembled, and tested by a different expert. No chances were taken, no expense was spared. No one knew the targets. No one knew the shooters. No one knew who was giving the orders. The money came in by courier. The courier picked up the envelope at a UPS store. The box at the UPS store was paid for by Money Order. The Money Order was purchased at a large food store, and delivered by the Post Office. There was no way to trace where it came from. Secrecy was the operative word.

As soon as they landed, in New York, everyone went to see Angelina Mancuso at her home. They had crossed six time zones on their way, and it was only 12 o'clock in New York. They tried their best not to show that they were tired.

Rose tried to comfort Angelina. Donna was hoping that Antonia would be there, but Anthony explained that she had to stay home, because she was breast-feeding Philip, and taking care of Gloria Gennaro, who was in the early stages of her pregnancy. He congratulated his son on the way he handled this situation, as it unfolded. He privately told him it was going to get worse, before it got better. He did not explain why, but Vincent nodded his head, understanding.

Anthony left the Mancuso household at three in the afternoon for his meeting with the commission. When he reached the area the designated area, his driver stopped the car, and waited. A limousine pulled up beside them, and he changed cars. He was blindfolded, as they took a circuitous route to the meeting place. When he arrived, they took him into the basement apartment of a tri-level home. He saw the five members of the commission waiting for him. There were normally six members, but Marco was missing. There was a mediator and four voting members. A chair was set up away from the main table for him to sit in, and the mediator said, "Anthony, you called for this meeting. What do you want to say that brings us together on such short notice?"

"Mister President, members of the commission, I am going to be very brief. My brother-in-law, Marco Mancuso, was not killed in a robbery. He was murdered by a member of this commission. I believe the murder was not sanctioned, and was caused by the greed of that member. I am not out for vengeance. I am here to say this, "Michael Montalbano, you had my brother-in-law murdered, and if you deny it, I will kill you with my bare hands, in this room. I do not want to do that. Instead, I want a guarantee from this commission, and from you, especially, that nothing and no one will touch or harm my son and his family. As you all know, I retired from our 'Family' on good terms; so did Albert Di Angiola. Neither he nor I will ever say a word about what goes on with in our 'Family.' 'Our Family' is forever. If anything happens to my son, his wife, or his children, I will come after the perpetrator with every ounce of energy I have in my body. I am not staying in the United States; neither is Albert. You will not have to worry about either of us doing anything to harm our 'Family.' I may stay as long as one week after the funeral; but that would be as long as I will be here. If you feel it necessary, you may accompany me to the airport, and watch me board the aircraft, on my way back home. I have promised my wife that I am permanently retired. I will not go back on that promise, unless something happens to my son and his family. I hope and pray that it never happens. Do you understand me, Michael; because if you do not, I will come over to you, and explain it in a way, you will always remember it.

This commission will not give you Brooklyn for free. They will charge you a very high fee, because of the unsanctioned murder of my brother-in-law. I fervently hope that it is a fee that is very tough for you to swallow. Mister President that is all I have to say."

The president of the commission asked, "Michael, do you deny your complicity in this action?"

Michael Montalbano looked at Tony Caruso, and then turned to face the president of the commission. He said, "No, Mister President, I ordered Marco Mancuso to be assassinated."

"Michael, you do know that it is within Anthony Caruso's right to ask for your death, for an unsanctioned murder of a commission member."

"Yes, Mister President, I know."

"Anthony, do you wish to change your mind and order Michael's death."

"No, Mister President. All I want is his assurance, and the assurance of this commission that nothing will ever happen to my son and his family."

"Members, we shall put this motion to a vote. All in favor of Anthony's request say I."

All four members of the commission agreed to motion.

The president said, "Since all members have agreed to the motion, I see no reason to ask for the no votes. Anthony, you have our assurance that nothing will ever happen to Vincent, Donna, and their children, as long as this commission remains in power."

"Thank you, Mister President, and members of the commission. I promise to keep my word as well."

Anthony stood up and prepared to leave. Before he was able to leave, the members of the commission walked over to him to shake his hand. They appreciated the way he had prevented a war between the 'Families.'

When Michael Montalbano walked over to Anthony, he did not offer his hand in friendship, because he thought it was inappropriate. He said, "Anthony, thank you for sparing my life. I acted in haste and in ill judgment. If you or Albert were there, this never would have occurred. I wish to offer my sincerest apologies for my actions. I would like to offer the widow, whatever sum of money, she may feel is appropriate. "

Anthony thought for a moment and said, "$50 million, small bills, non-sequential numbers, delivered to my cousins moving company, by the day after the funeral."

Although it was a great deal of money, Michael Montalbano agreed, because he valued his life, more than his money.

Antonio and Roberto Castronova departed shortly after Anthony Caruso. They took a taxi to a company called "Rent-a-Wreck," where they rented a Ford Bronco. Antonio used an excellent fake drivers' license and paid cash, plus a hefty deposit, for the one-week rental. They drove the car to a parking lot. A short distance from their hotel and paid the weekly rental fee. They walked back to their hotel, and waited for a phone call.

The rifles were shipped to New York, via Federal Express. They were addresses to the maintenance division of the Museum of Natural History, labeled machine parts, and coded. The maintenance chief threw a fit, which everyone in his department saw. He yelled, "Those idiots sent the wrong parts again. They cannot do anything right." He made a phone call, took out the return label, and a fixed it to the box, with tape. He told his men, he was taking it back to the express office and going to lunch. He took a cab to the Port Authority Building. He put the box into numbered locker, and walked away; under the watchful eyes of Philip Gennaro.

1...456789