He'll Wait For You

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He felt very sorry for Laura and her brothers at this time for losing their father at such a young age. He felt sorry for himself, as well. Not only had Paul been his boss and mentor, he had been his friend, too, and he would miss him. Because of this, Greg was very thankful to have been able to see him one last time.

Minutes passed, but Greg made no attempt to go back to the room. He knew this had to be a private time for them and he had no desire to intrude. If they perhaps wanted him to come in, he would be more than happy to do that, but until then, he would stay put. He thought about what kind of president Laura would be, what kind of leader she would become. Greg didn't know what kind of experience she had with the copier industry, but she was going to get a crash course from him whenever she was ready to start.

The first hour went by as Greg continued to wait. He had seen doctors and nurses go in and out of the room numerous times, but there was no sign of Laura or her brothers. He wondered what was happening, but he still had no intention of leaving until he heard from the family. Greg tried to watch TV, but nothing made any sense to him. He looked away and continued to wait.

It was another half hour before Laura came out of the room. Her arms were folded in front of her and her head was bowed as she walked slowly towards him.

Greg got up from the couch and met her at the elevator and he could see she had been crying. She said nothing, but looked at him through tear-stained eyes.

"Is he...?" Greg asked.

Laura nodded and sniffled. "A half hour ago."

"I'm really sorry, Laura." Greg pulled her to him and hugged her.

Laura felt safe in his arms. She needed his arms around her and welcomed his comfort. "I know you are. Thanks."

"Is there anything I can do?" Greg let go of her and looked at her. Her soft auburn curls partially hid her tear stained face.

"I guess you can let everyone know at the company. I...I don't know when the funeral will be. Jim and Andy are taking care of that." Laura glanced to the right looking lost, confused, and afraid. "I need to take a walk," she said suddenly. She reached for the down button on the wall.

"Do you want some company?" he asked.

Laura looked at him and managed a small smile. "That's sweet of you to offer, but I think I need to be alone for a bit."

"Okay," he replied. He waited with her until the doors opened.

She stepped into the elevator and turned back to him. "Could you wait for me before you go back to the office?"

Greg thought for a second and couldn't think of anything that needed his immediate attention. "Sure, Laura, I can stay," he replied.

"I won't be too long."

"I'll be here."

Laura let the doors close and then she sighed loudly. She thought Greg looked as sad as her brothers, but then she remembered how close Greg and her father had been.

The bitter November cold slapped her face when she left the building. It stung her eyes and she couldn't tell if the tears were from sadness or the biting wind. She didn't know where she was going, but she just had to get outside and away from the hospital, if only for a little while. Laura tried to keep her mind blank as she walked in her usual quick gait, but memories and thoughts kept creeping into her mind, barely scratching the surface before edging their way in. Try as she might, she couldn't push them away.

"He'll wait for you."

She found it quite eerie that both her brother and father used the same term within hours of each other, yet with totally different meaning, although she still couldn't understand why her father used the sentence. Why would Greg be waiting and for what reason? That, she didn't know and she thought she might never know. Greg seemed as perplexed as she at the reference. Greg. She remembered him from company Christmas parties that her parents always asked her and her brothers to attend. Usually, these parties bored her, but she found she liked talking to him, one of the few people she knew. Although they weren't friends in high school and didn't hang out in the same crowds, Laura knew of him. She remembered watching him play varsity basketball and cheering for a team that tried hard, but didn't win much. Even though he wasn't the best player, he was the point guard and team captain his senior year. He had leadership qualities even then, she thought. At similar parties, she sought him out and enjoyed talking to him. Then one Christmas during her senior year at Northwestern, he brought his wife with him and Laura was disappointed at the discovery. They still talked that evening, but it wasn't the same for her. She did know they had a daughter and divorced a few years later.

"He'll wait for you."

What did it mean? She wished she knew. Laura thought back a few months before when she last visited. As always, their discussions led to the company. Her father lamented that his work load was getting out of hand and that he wished to have a vice-president to help him. He told her he had someone in mind, but didn't tell her who that was. She now guessed Greg was that individual, but her father never got around to making it official. It was then she decided to promote Greg as her first official decision.

There were many things for her to do now and she wasn't looking forward to it. Calling her supervisor had to be done soon and she hated to think about it. Pfeiffer & Lording hired her right out of Northwestern after an on-campus interview and she had worked there for six years. She would be forever grateful to them for hiring her and giving her a start. It would be a very difficult parting. She had to move back to Cincinnati and find a home, although she would probably stay in her father's house until she and her brothers decided what to do with it. More than likely, they would sell it and divide the equity amongst them.

Laura checked her watch and it was almost a half hour since she left Greg at the elevator. She was chilled, so she headed back to the entrance where she welcomed the warmth within its stark, bland walls. When she reached the fourth floor, Laura found Greg in the lounge talking with her brothers.

Are you okay?" Andy asked as he stood up.

Jim and Greg remained seated.

"I'm fine," she replied. "I just needed to get some fresh air."

"We have an appointment at the funeral home tomorrow," Andy added.

"Could you guys take care of it?" she asked tiredly. "I have to get back home and take care of some things."

"Are you sure?" Jim asked. "I'm sure we could put it off for a day or two if you want."

Laura shook her head. "No. Whatever you guys decide will be fine with me. I'm going to leave tonight and I'll be back tomorrow evening."

"We'd really like for you to be a part of this," Andy said.

"No," Laura replied, her voice tenser. "I have to get back to Chicago!"

"Okay, okay," Andy said quietly. He moved to her and gave her a quick hug. "I know you have a lot of things to do. We'll talk about the arrangements when you get back. We'll take care of everything."

"Thanks," she said as she hugged him back. "I'm sorry. You guys are the best."

She pulled away and looked at Greg, who seemed a bit uncomfortable as if he didn't belong there.

"Greg," she said, "I know I'm going to have to lean on you an awful lot over the next few weeks. I'm going to leave the everyday decisions to you for the time being. If there's something you think we need to discuss, by all means, get in touch with me. I think I'll begin to get settled next Monday, but I'd like to meet with you a few times before that so I can get my feet wet. Maybe we could meet Saturday and Sunday if that's not too much of an inconvenience for you." Since it was Tuesday, she figured the funeral would be Friday.

Greg grimaced slightly and he hoped they didn't notice. It was his weekend to have his daughter and he really hated to cancel that. He loved his little girl to death.

"I'll have to make some arrangements, but I think I'll be able to do it," he said.

"I don't want you to rearrange anything," Laura said. "What is it?"

"Well," he hesitated, "it's my weekend to have my daughter and..."

"No, no, no," Laura interrupted, "you will not cancel that. We'll find some other time."

"Are you sure?" Greg looked worried.

"I'm sure," she said. "We'll get together next week and work it out."

"Okay," he replied, not altogether convinced. Greg glanced at his watch and was dismayed at the hour. "I should be getting back to the office."

He got up slowly and shook hands with Andy and Jim. When he turned to Laura, she pushed his hand aside and hugged him lightly.

"Thank you for being here. I really appreciate it." She looked to her brothers and they nodded in agreement. She moved away and looked at him through tearing eyes. "I'll be in touch for the funeral arrangements."

Greg looked at all three. "If there's anything you need help with or need me to do, just ask." He looked at Laura. "If you get time, stop by the office and I'll introduce you to everyone."

"I'll see," Laura replied.

"That's fine. I guess I'll be going then." Greg turned and went to the elevator, still feeling the effects of Laura hugging him. He knew it wasn't right to enjoy such an innocent gesture at a time like this, but he couldn't help it. He wished he could have held her and comforted her for a long time. When the elevator doors opened, he walked in and made sure the doors were closed before he looked up again.

Chapter 4

She had dropped her bags off at her father's house and would return to Chicago empty handed. Laura called her office after she arrived at the airport, talking to her immediate supervisor, Joe Endermic, and told him she needed to meet with him first thing in the morning. Laura told him of her father's passing and that she was turning in her resignation in order to take the reins of Ballard Corp.

Joe knew her well enough not to try and convince her to stay; not when something like this happened. He knew how fiercely loyal she was to her family, but he also realized it was an opportunity she couldn't pass up. He told her he would see her at eight o'clock and they would talk.

When she got back to her apartment, it was then, alone with her thoughts, when the enormity of her loss struck her. The tears came slowly at first, but soon, they flowed like a spring rain and her crying became harsh. She cried long and loud and she didn't care if anyone heard her. Once her tears subsided, she took off her blouse and dried her face with it. She took off her jeans and slid under the cool sheets of her bed. It had been a long time since she felt alone and lonely, but it was now overwhelming her and she wished to have someone there with her, someone to hold her and comfort her. Crying softly once again, Laura hugged and rocked herself until she fell into an uneasy sleep.

Her meeting the next morning went as well as could be expected considering the circumstances. All her supervisors could do was convey their condolences and wish her the best. She hated to leave on such short notice, but what could she do?

After the meeting, she packed three large suitcases with most of the clothes she owned. Thinking more clearly now, she canceled her flight back to Cincinnati by deciding to drive the six hours instead. She liked to drive and she wanted her own car available to her instead of relying on her brothers or using one of her father's cars.

The drive back was uneventful and it gave her plenty of time to think. Most of the decisions she had to make over the past twenty-four hours had to be quick and with no thought given. Her mind wandered to her new position and all of the responsibilities she would soon assume. She didn't figure on making any significant changes until she invested the time and energy needed to effectively study the company's financial position. Perhaps no changes would be needed. She would have to see. Laura now thought that her original plan to promote Greg was premature. Perhaps her father was feeling the strain and was overwhelmed by his duties because of his declining health. Maybe she could handle it without Greg's help. That was something else about which she would have to wait and see.

She arrived at her father's house between five-thirty and six o'clock, just as she anticipated. After bringing in all of her belongings, she noticed how quiet and solemn the house seemed to be. It had always been a lively, love-filled home when she and her brothers were still living there. Now, it seemed as if the house had died right along with her father.

Laura wandered into her father's study and looked around. It was a neat, tidy office with a large desk and book shelves filled to overflowing. This was where they had many of their talks about his business and other things. It comforted her and she could feel his presence there in everything she could see and touch.

She sat down on a leather couch and sighed heavily. "Oh dad," she said with her head in her hands, "I wish you were here."

Chapter 5

The next few days went by quickly for Greg. Canon had been notified and they told him basically the same thing that Laura had; that he should just make the routine decisions of the day to day operations, but that he needed approval from them or Laura for any copier purchases and other major financial decisions.

Late Thursday afternoon, Laura called him.

"I need an extra special favor from you," she said.

"What do you need?"

"Would you be a pall bearer at the funeral?"

"Of course, I will," he replied. "I'd be honored."

"Thank you so much," she said gratefully. "Dad would be so pleased." She was quiet for a second or two. "There is something else, too."

"Yes?"

"Would you stand with us at the viewing? I'm sure there will be many business associates of dad's whom we don't know. It would make it so much easier for us if you would introduce them."

"Of course," he answered. "I hope I'll know everyone, though."

"I'm sure you will. I wouldn't have asked you otherwise."

Both were silent for a moment, each in their own thoughts.

"I guess I'll see you at the funeral home," Greg said.

"Yeah," she replied. "Thanks again for everything."

"You're welcome, Laura."

After more paperwork was completed and other phone calls were made, it was time for Greg to leave for the funeral home. He wanted to get there a few minutes early. He arrived at three forty-five and saw Laura, Jim, and Andy inside the viewing parlor. A few other people, early arrivals, were milling around and talking to the family. Greg walked over to Jim, who was the only sibling not engaged in conversation.

"Hey Greg," Jim said, extending his hand to Greg, which he took. "You'll be standing with Laura over there." He pointed to the left of the casket. "Andy and I will be here. Laura really didn't need to rope you into doing this," he added. "We could have managed the introductions."

Silently, Jim knew Laura just wanted Greg by her side. He knew Laura liked Greg just by the way she looked at him.

"Oh, it's no problem," Greg said. "Maybe she just doesn't feel comfortable around people she doesn't know. I know I don't."

"Could be," Jim said. But, I doubt it, he added to himself. "Anyway, some people have already begun to show up."

He looked towards the entrance where about a dozen people were standing near the podium to sign their name to the guest book.

Greg nodded and went to the casket to visit his friend. As he gazed at Paul, he silently thanked him for everything he ever did for him; from hiring him to teaching him everything he needed to know about sales. He bowed his head and sighed, trying to keep his composure.

After a few seconds, he raised his head to see Laura smiling at him as she talked to an elderly woman. The woman was also looking at him as she supported herself with a sturdy brown cane. When he approached them, Laura smiled broader and reached for his hand, taking it lightly and pulling him gently to her.

"Greg," she said, "this is my great Aunt Martha, dad's aunt. Aunt Martha, this is Greg Hannaford. He is the sales manager at Ballard Corp."

"My dear," Martha said to Laura as she peered at Greg, "he's even handsomer than you described!"

Laura laughed nervously as Greg looked down in embarrassment.

"I'm very pleased to meet you," Greg said to the tiny, white-haired woman.

"And such good manners," Martha continued. She leaned over to her niece. "Don't let this one get away." She tried to say it softly, but Greg heard every word.

Laura blushed slightly. "I won't, Aunt Martha."

Laura smiled sheepishly at Greg and steered her aunt to Andy and Jim.

Visitors came and went as the minutes and hours ticked away. Laura made most of the introductions as her family and friends looked upon Greg with curiosity. More than a few times, representatives from Canon or employees from Ballard arrived in line and Greg would make the introductions. Laura greeted each individual warmly and took extra time with the employees, who were meeting their new boss for perhaps the first time.

Sooner than he anticipated, it was eight o'clock and the crowd was starting to thin to about a half dozen or so. By eight fifteen, only the four of them were left, along with Jim and Andy's wives, and they were ready to exit the premises. Greg was starving by then, not having eaten anything since his eleven o'clock lunch.

As they walked to the closet in the main hallway to get their coats, Andy said to Greg, "We're going to "Luigi's" for supper. You're more than welcome to join us."

"Well, I...." Greg stammered. He didn't want to intrude and feel out of place.

"You're coming," Laura said sternly, pointing her finger at him, "so don't argue."

"Yes, ma'am," Greg relented.

Everyone laughed at that.

The dinner was excellent and the conversation was light hearted. The siblings shared stories about growing up with their father and even Greg shared some amusing anecdotes of his own while working with Paul.

Laura found herself listening intently to every word he spoke, studying his face and expressions as he talked. His brown eyes were light and lively and his smile was genuine. She really liked his looks and thought she would definitely like to get to know him better. She noticed he listened eagerly to all of the stories they told and seemed especially attentive when she spoke. Laura also noticed, from time to time, his glances her way when he thought she wasn't looking. She was beginning to feel the same way she did all those years ago when they talked at all those boring parties. Now, she wished she had paid more attention to himaway from the parties.

Before they knew it, it was after eleven o'clock and time for them to go home. After he helped her into her coat, Greg walked Laura to her car. She unlocked her door, but didn't open it. Instead, she turned to him and said, "Thank you for everything."

Greg shrugged. "You did most of the introductions."

"No," she disagreed, "it was more than that. I don't know. It was being with us at the hospital, being by my side at the funeral home, telling funny stories about dad. It's been a lot of things these past few days."

Greg looked at her under the streetlight and didn't know what to say. He didn't think he had done anything special, but Laura did, and that pleased him.

"Anyway," she continued as she touched his hand, "thank you."

She moved forward and kissed him on the cheek.

Stunned, Greg replied softly, "You're welcome."

He touched his face and smiled. That brief instant of her lips touching his skin sent chills through him, and it wasn't because of the cold.

He took her hand and squeezed it and their eyes met and for a scant second, Greg found himself propelled back in time to the last Ballard Christmas party he attended before he got married. The entire evening, he tried to get up the nerve to position Laura under the mistletoe for an innocent kiss, but it never happened. He always wondered what it would feel like, but her friendly peck on the cheek gave him an inkling. It felt wonderful. Once again, he had the desire to kiss her, but he held back, feeling it was an inappropriate time.