He'll Wait For You

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tony155
Tony155
1,227 Followers

"I better go," Laura said gently, breaking him from his thoughts. She felt there was something amiss, but couldn't put her finger on it.

"Okay," he said, kicking himself for having thoughts like that. Her father just died, you idiot! Reluctantly, he let go of her hand and she got into her car.

As she pulled away, Greg sighed and chalked up another missed opportunity.

A mixture of emotions churned within Laura as she drove slowly home. She tried to get a glimpse of Greg as she drove away, but her rear window was fogged. Things hadn't changed much in over five years, she thought. They had been able to talk as easily to each other as before and she still wanted to be kissed by him.

She got to thinking about her father once again, and sadness began to creep into her mind. Living in her childhood home again was comforting, yet painful at the same time. She missed her father terribly and the guilt she felt for being away from him only made it worse. Over and over again, she thought that if she had taken his offer and worked for him, perhaps she could have saved him. It was a foolish thought, but in her tiredness and her grief, it preyed upon her mind.

When she got to the house, she went straight to her room and began to undress. Not bothering to find a nightgown, Laura slipped under the covers naked and enjoyed the coolness of sheets against her warm, soft skin. She felt her nipples hardening from them brushing against the sheets. It had been a long time since she felt another man's touch, sexual or otherwise, and she missed it more than she cared to admit. Her thoughts drifted to Greg. She thought about when he held her just after her father's death and how safe and secure she felt. Laura sighed, wishing he was there to hold her. Settling into her pillow, she pulled her covers over her shoulders until only her face was exposed. As sleep began to overtake her, she couldn't stop the tears from flowing one last time that day.

Chapter 6

Greg's alarm woke him with a start Friday morning. He felt as if he had just gotten to sleep as he groggily walked across the room to shut off the annoying sound. He did nothing but dream the entire night, but he couldn't remember any of them. Greg glanced to his left and saw it was gloomy and raining. "Just perfect," he grumbled to himself. He hoped it would have been a nice day for Paul. He figured it would eventually turn to snow and in fact, upon closer inspection, he could see snow beginning to mix in with the rain. "Just wonderful," he mumbled. Shaking his head, he headed to the bathroom for his shower.

As he sat down to his breakfast after his shower, his phone rang. Greg picked it up on the second ring.

"Hi daddy," his young daughter's sweet voice came over the line. She was six.

"Hey princess," Greg said. "What's up?"

"Mommy wants to know if you can pick me up earlier today."

"What time?" he asked.

"What time, mommy?" she asked on the other end. "Two?" Her voice came back. "Mommy says two."

Greg frowned on his end. "Can I speak to your mom?" he asked.

"Sure, daddy."

She handed the phone to her mother. Their divorce five years prior had been amicable and they still got along well. He even liked her husband, whom she married three years after the divorce.

"Hi Greg," she said cheerily.

"Hey Sandy, about picking up Nicole early. I really can't."

"Why not?" she asked. She wasn't angry, just disappointed.

"Well, Paul's funeral is today..."

"Oh, that's right, I forgot," she interrupted. "I'm sorry. Darn, Steve and I had hoped to make early dinner plans tonight."

"What time?"

"Five."

"Heck, Sandy, I can pick her up around four if that will work for you. I don't mind."

"Four would be fine, Greg. I really am sorry about Paul. I always liked him." She hesitated for a second. "How are you doing with it?"

The question caught him off guard. "Me? Oh, I'm doing okay, I guess."

"Could I ask another favor of you?" she asked.

"Sure, what is it?"

"On the twenty-second, Nicole has a Christmas play. I can't be there and I was wondering if you could take her?"

"Sure, I can, but what about Steve?" Steve was Sandy's husband. "Can't he take her?"

"He'll be with me," Sandy explained.

"Oh, okay. Yeah, I can do that. You said the twenty-second?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I'll write it down."

"Great. Thanks Greg."

"No problem."

"Well, I'll let you go. Thanks for coming early for Nicole."

"You're welcome."

"I'll see you at four, then."

"See you then."

After he hung up, he slumped in his chair. It had been right for them to divorce when they did. They only married because she was pregnant and Greg felt it was the right thing to do. They realized it wasn't going to work soon after Nicole's birth. Parting as friends, they vowed to be the best parents for their daughter as possible, and that meant unlimited visitation rights for Greg. Even after she married Steve, Greg was always welcome. One good thing about Steve, Greg thought, was that he knew when to be a stepfather and he knew when to back off and let Greg be the father. How could he not like him?

Still, he became melancholy whenever they spoke and somehow wished that things had worked out for them. Sometimes, he dwelled on that too much and that was one of his weaknesses. Pushing himself away from the table, his breakfast barely touched, he began to get ready for the funeral.

Chapter 7

The snow was falling all around as they stood at the grave site. Greg wasn't cold as he stood rigidly with his hands stuffed inside his coat pockets. He stood off to the side, a few feet away from Laura, Jim, and Andy. He barely heard the words of the preacher, who was asking God to watch over the soul of Paul. Greg could see Laura . Thoughts of gathering her in his arms to comfort her swept through his mind, but he pushed them aside. Standing beside him during the church service, she had reached for his hand and he took it, holding it until she slowly pulled away at the end of the service. But here, she was surrounded by family and friends.

After the service concluded, Greg stared at the casket. Memories came flooding into his mind and he was transported back in time to his own father's funeral. Tears started to come and he absently wiped them away with his hand. Oblivious to everything around him, he crouched down and touched the bitter cold steel with the tips of his fingers. He barely noticed the hand that had rested upon his shoulder. Only when Laura gave him a gentle squeeze did he come out of his stupor and look up.

"I'm really going to miss him," he said as he stood up slowly. The snow was coming down harder and his brown hair was beginning to turn whiter from the thick flakes.

"I know." She didn't know what else to say.

Greg exhaled and looked up into the grey, grim sky to keep more tears from coming. More fluffy flakes hit his face and he blinked to keep them out of his eyes. He looked at Laura once more, who hadn't stopped looking at him. "Sometimes, I feel like I've lost another father instead of just a really good friend." He stuffed his hands into his coat pockets and shrugged.

"I'm glad he was that for you," Laura said. "He was special to a lot of people." She glanced to her left as Jim, Andy, and their wives walked up. Greg sniffed and looked away, disappointed that their time alone had ended.

"Greg?" Laura touched his sleeve.

He turned back and brushed a tear aside before she could see his face. "Um, what?"

"We're having a small gathering at dad's house, you know, family and friends. Will you come join us?"

"Well, I don't know," he stammered. "I don't want to intrude on your family."

"We wouldn't have asked if we thought you were intruding." She glanced at her family who were waiting patiently for her. She moved forward slightly and said in a lower voice, "I want you to come, if that'll make a difference." Her eyebrows lifted slightly and a small smile managed to peek from the corners of her mouth.

Greg smiled a bit. Laura stirred something within him. "Alright, I'll come. Thanks."

"You're welcome," she said softly. "Walk me to the car?"

"Sure." Greg held out his arm to her and she slipped her arm through his. They walked slowly, following her brothers and their wives towards the waiting limousine.

"It was a lovely service," Laura remarked, breaking Greg from his thoughts.

"Yes, it was," he agreed.

The gathering at the house was small and Greg was grateful for that. He stuck close to Andy, Jim, and Laura for the most part, but was introduced to everyone again. He checked his watch periodically knowing he had to pick up his daughter in the afternoon.

He helped Laura and her sisters-in-law with the food and drinks despite her protests. He was feeling more and more comfortable around her, although they didn't get too much time to talk. He did notice her gaze from time to time. It was a studious, inquisitive look; a look of interest. At times, he found his eyes searching for her whenever she left the room. Greg liked her a lot and wanted to be near her.

Later in the afternoon, he drifted from the group and found himself alone in a hallway covered by family pictures. Of course, he was drawn towards the pictures with Laura in them, from kindergarten and grade school to high school, college and beyond.

"I can't believe you're looking at those pictures," Laura exclaimed behind him.

Greg jumped slightly and turned to her. "I didn't know you were there." He looked back at the pictures. "You were really cute as a kid."

"Oh my God," she rolled her eyes. "My teeth were too big, my hair was goofy, and those glasses were hideous!"

"Well, besides that, you were cute." He smiled at her and pointed to her high school graduation photo. "You took a great picture there."

"Yeah, I guess so," she said. "I don't remember what your high school picture looked like. I wonder how you looked."

"Very forgettable and not worth thinking about."

"Really? I think I have a yearbook around here someplace."

"Oh, no you don't," he laughed. "I'm sure it's lost or it's in Chicago. I'm sure it's nowhere around, so I wouldn't even look for it if I were you."

"Well, maybe you're right." Laura laughed lightly before moving away and sitting down on a nearby sofa. "Sit with me for a bit?"

Greg followed and sat down next to her.

Laura leaned back into the cushion. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Do you remember when you brought Sandy to the Christmas party that one year?" Laura asked.

"Yes."

" I was pretty upset when I found out she was your wife." She laughed at the thought.

"Oh, come on!"

"I was," she insisted.

"Why?"

Laura looked away, a bit embarrassed. When she turned back, Greg was smiling at her. "I guess I realized I wanted you for myself."

"I wish I had known that."

"Why?"

"Because I never would have gotten involved with Sandy if I knew you were interested."

Laura looked down sadly. It had been nothing but wasted years for them. "It's too bad."

"What's too bad?" He was puzzled.

"That it took my father's death to bring me back to the place I really belonged after all these years."

"You don't know that. You may have come back eventually."

"I doubt it."

"I'm glad you're back, though. I just wish it was under different circumstances."

"Are you glad?" she asked, looking into his eyes.

"I never wanted you to leave." He reached forward and brushed her cheek with the back of his hand. "There was one Christmas when I tried to get up the courage to steer you over to the mistletoe. I really wanted to see what it would be like to kiss you. I just couldn't get up the nerve."

"What's stopping you now?" she asked, her eyes shining.

"There's no mistletoe."

"We don't need it," she whispered.

Slowly and nervously, Greg moved forward. Laura tilted her head slightly just before she parted her already moist lips in anticipation.

Their first kiss was short and tentative. Laura loved the feel of his lips against hers and when they parted, she wanted more. She pulled his face to hers and began to kiss him with earnest. Laura enjoyed the sensations that filled her body, sensations that had long been dormant and aching to come alive again.

They stopped kissing as Laura slowly pulled back. "I've wanted to do that for a long time," she sighed.

Greg moved forward this time and kissed her without the nervousness and the awkward feeling he had before. Her lips felt wonderful and tasted like sun sweetened honey. They kissed for a few more minutes before Greg reluctantly pulled back.

"Why did I wait so long?" he asked her. He laughed, shaking his head. "Boy, I was stupid."

A few minutes later, Jim interrupted them to tell her some of the guests were leaving. Greg checked his watch and was surprised and disappointed to find it was almost three-thirty. It seemed as if he just arrived a few minutes before.

"I've got to be going, too," he announced.

"Do you have to?" she asked, very disappointed. She wanted to kiss him again.

"I have to pick up my daughter at four," he explained.

"I was hoping you could stay for dinner," she pouted.

"I'm sorry."

"Oh, there's no need to apologize." She bit her bottom lip lightly and looked up at him. "Could you wait here for just a few minutes?"

Greg checked his watch again. Sandy's house was about fifteen minutes away, so he had a little bit of time to spare. Besides, he could be a few minutes late. "Sure, I can wait."

"Good." Laura left the couch and went with her brother to say good-bye to the departing guests. Greg stood by and waited for her return.

A minute or two later, she came back alone. She handed his overcoat to him and he pulled it on. Laura looked at him with sad eyes as she straightened his collar for him.

"I'm probably going to mess this up, so please bear with me," she began, almost in a whisper. "I can't thank you enough for being with me throughout this whole thing. You've helped me so much just by being nearby. We've only known each other for a short time, but I already feel like you're one of my closest friends. I just wanted you to know that." She looked down and hesitated. "I really loved kissing you. We waited much too long for that."

"Yeah, well, that was my fault. I should have done that a long time ago when I had the chance."

Laura exhaled.. She stretched her arms outward and moved forward to hug him. They embraced and Laura held onto him very tight. "Thank you," she whispered. They shared another kiss before she let him go. She stepped back and brushed aside tears.

Greg stood awkwardly and didn't know what to say. He managed to blurt out, "I guess I'll see you Monday."

"Yeah," she sniffed, dabbing her eyes once again. "What time do you normally get to the office?"

"Around seven," he answered. "I usually open up the place."

"Good. I want to get an early start."

She reached for his hand and he took it. Laura guided him to the front door where he said his good-bye's to her brothers and their wives. It felt strange to Greg. He was torn between staying and talking some more with Laura and going to pick up his daughter. Standing silently at the front door, her hand still held his as he looked at her.

"Take care," he said, staring into her cat-green eyes. He always thought they were very alluring, even as a teenager. "If you need anything before Monday, let me know."

"I will," she nodded. "Have a good weekend with Nicole."

Greg smiled at the thought. "Thanks. I'm sure we'll have a good time."

Laura let go of his hand at that point and he turned and stepped off the porch and headed to his car. Laura waited at the doorway until he was in his car and pulling out of the driveway. She closed the door softly behind her and sighed.

Chapter 8

For the next few days and weeks, Laura and Greg worked side by side as he gave her lesson after lesson of the modern day copier business and of the inner workings of Ballard Corp. On her own time and in her office, Laura poured over financial reports, balance sheets, sales quotas, and contracts. She never felt as excited and eager to learn as she did at this time. Her mind absorbed everything Greg threw at her and he rarely had to explain anything to her twice. She rarely missed anything while looking over reports and would question Greg extensively over a drop in sales or a missed quota. Every night, she took a stack of files home with her and studied them the entire evening, and she continued doing that throughout each weekend.

One snowy evening, a few days before Christmas, it was a few minutes past closing and Laura and Greg were still at the office. Greg had been trying to find the right time to invite Laura along to his daughter's Christmas play. Several times, he had tried to bring up the subject, but either nerves or interruptions canceled his thoughts. He gathered his paperwork into his briefcase and headed to her office for one last try. When he got to her office, he knocked lightly on the open door.

Laura looked up from her stack of papers. "Hey Greg, going home already?"

"Yeah," he replied. "Are you leaving soon?"

"Oh, in a little bit. I've got some things I want to look at first."

Greg hesitated for a few seconds, lingering at the door.

"Is there something wrong?" she asked.

"No. There's nothing wrong. I was thinking about something."

"What is it?"

Well, it's now or never, he thought to himself.

"Well, Nicole's got this Christmas play tonight and Sandy and Steve can't go and I was wondering if perchance you'd like to come along." Greg exhaled after his long sentence.

Laura looked at him, but didn't say anything. She was surprised by the request. Since they had been working together, they had not met away from the office and it had been strictly business between them inside the walls of Ballard Corp. It was only when he walked her to her car that he would kiss her.

"I'll even throw in dinner," he added. He tried to keep a straight face, but a smile emerged anyway. "I think you could use a break from this place, don't you?" He raised an eyebrow.

Laura started to giggle. "Sweetening the pot, are we?" She pushed her paperwork aside in a neat pile. "I'd love to go. What time?"

Greg checked his watch. "If we leave now, we can pick up Nicole and have a nice dinner without being rushed."

"That sounds great. Let me get my coat."

Greg took his time driving to Sandy's house, navigating the slippery streets carefully. Once, Laura brought up a subject pertaining to the office and was met with a frown from Greg.

"We've done nothing but talk about work and copiers for the past three weeks," he said. "Why don't we forget about work for a few hours and just enjoy the evening."

Laura grinned at him. "That's a wonderful idea."

Nicole came running out of the house with her coat open, her snowflake outfit showing. Sandy waved to them from the porch after giving her daughter a hug and a kiss. She saw Laura sitting in the front seat, and although she didn't recognize her, she was genuinely happy for Greg. She hoped she was his date for the evening and was not merely giving her a lift home.

Nicole climbed into the back seat. Greg fastened her seatbelt for her before locking and closing her door.

"Hi," she said to Laura..

"Hi Nicole," Laura answered.

"Who are you?" Nicole asked, curious about a female being with her daddy.

Greg spoke, making the introduction. "Her name is Laura Ballard. She works with me and she's going to eat with us and watch your play with me tonight."

"Is she your girlfriend?" Nicole asked inquisitively.

Laura had to look away to keep from laughing.

"Well, yes, I guess so. Laura is my friend and she is a girl."

"Are you going to marry her?"

Laura looked at Greg with a grin from ear to ear. Greg was stone silent, stunned at the question.

Tony155
Tony155
1,227 Followers