Life Art

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I asked you not to go there today. Why would you do that?" Mason demanded.

"David wanted some appraisals and who better, I thought..." she began weakly.

"If you think I am mad now try me if you interfere with Kallah's trip out to Lightning Ridge. There isn't a bridge built that could cross the void that would open up between us," he threatened.

"Darling, I don't think..." Patrice tried again.

"Don't you get it mother? It doesn't matter what you think now, if you can't listen to me about going there today why would I listen to you? This is exactly why I don't tell you anything anymore, the first little bit of leeway you get; you go too far, every single time. Tell you what, prove me wrong, don't say a word about Kallah going to Lightning Ridge to a single soul."

"That's not very fair," Patrice said through gritted teeth.

"Isn't it?" She was silent. "If I lose Kallah because of your interfering mother..." he left it hanging.

"Okay, we will talk when I get home," she said finally.

"Put Kallah back on, please," he said shortly. He waited as the phone passed between the women. "Hey gorgeous, I'll pick you up after work and you can start making last night up to me," he smiled hearing her giggle and agree on the other end. "Good, see you about five thirty then." He hung up and turned to his mother's friends who had listened to the whole conversation. All people he had known as Aunts and Uncles his whole life and who he looked on as a family.

"I love Kallah. She has wanted to go to Lightning Ridge for a long time. I have warned her about what happens there and to be on guard. I swear if any of you meddle or help my mother to interfere even in the slightest, there will be no invitations to the wedding, no babies to spoil, nothing! Not just becauseI am angry but because Kallah will never forgive me, and mother can put another notch on her belt, of relationships she has ruined" he shook his head at their bewildered looks and went to have a shower.

He knew he had over-reacted, but he couldn't help it. Memories crashed down on him at that moment, and he could see the new life he had made for himself here, far away from his crazy family about to degenerate into the series of bad scenes his young life had been. He cursed himself for trusting is mother with a key and an open invitation to his house but he had thought they had finally moved past all her games. "Shit, shit, shit!" he let the words reverberate in the shower stall.

Shutting off the water, she towelled off and pulling on a pair of boxers headed back downstairs to apologise to the people he loved and had treated badly. He walked into the living area; only James had remained sitting there, but he looked up and smiled as Mason entered the room, indicating a couch for Mason to sit on.

"Look I am sorry about earlier, I over reacted but it's just..." he ran his fingers through his hair.

"You are so like your father," James laughed. "You are a passionate man. All of your emotions on the surface, quick to anger, quick to love but equally quick to calm and forgive. We know you were just blowing off steam. So come show me this masterpiece you are working on while we talk and wait for your mother to come home and tell you she is sorry, yet again."

"Nice try Uncle Jimmy, but I am not ready to share yet," Mason chuckled. "Why does she keep doing this, he shook his head. It's not even that I care so much that they went there today, I half expected she wouldn't listen to me."

"So what's the problem then?" James asked into the brief pause.

"Kallah wants to go to Lightning Ridge, to the summer workshops. I didn't think she would get in, I mean we all know Uncle Paul has his own agenda there," Mason almost groaned. The thing is she got offered a weekend workshop to further her application..." James attempted to stifle his derisive chuckle and let Mason keep talking.

"When she told me, I wasn't as thrilled about the idea as she had thought I should be, and I said some things I probably shouldn't have," he admitted. "We didn't speak for a few days, it was hellish, and I realised that I had already fallen in love with her then."

"So she is still going to this weekend workshop then," James asked thoughtfully, "Better a weekend than a week or month. I am sure it's all on the up and up, Paul usually has someone he has been grooming for a while in mind each year to fill the role of model and muse."

"Yeah, that's what I told myself," he gave a lop-sided smile, "She is not some star-struck immature girl who would get sucked in by his name and connections so while I was not exactly happy that she was going, I wasn't going to interfere in any way. He amended himself after a moment, "I promised I wouldn't interfere in any way."

"I see and Patti, the ultimate meddler, knows now?" James watched as an anguished looked passed over Mason's face, and he nodded. "That's hardly your fault now is it?"

"No. But you know she won't be able to help herself, and Kallah is sensitive about doing this on her talent. She doesn't want anyone there to know that we are dating," Mason explained. The older man nodded but said nothing and they lapsed into silence.

"Come on ready or not you need to show me what you are doing in that shed, it's probably the one thing that will stall your mother's good intentioned interfering, if it's got half the passion in it I assume it has, that is," James stood and stretched.

Mason knew it was true; his mother could be obsessive about any little project he attempted, especially if he asked her advice, but he really wasn't ready to share this, he wasn't sure he ever would be. The risk of letting his mother see it was that she would take over, get too involved and then the passion he felt for it would dissipate, and it would be yet another unfinished relic for her to lament over.

"Nah, it's too personal to let mum take it over," Mason shook his head.

"Geez kid, tell you what, final offer, show me, and I won't tell her where her phone is hidden," James grinned. "It'll be our secret and you can rest easy we will make sure she doesn't call Paul, I swear. Dave isn't a moron he will bring your mum straight back after that phone call you made earlier."

"It's barely more than at the idea stage; there is nothing to show," Mason tried to put him off once again.

"All the more reason to show me," James laughed not being deterred, "Hurry up before your mum gets back." He began walking toward the back shed.

They were still in the back shed when Patrice and David arrived home, but they hurried out and back into the house so see them. David was enthusiastic about Kallah's talents and her eagerness to visit his home and appraise his gallery pieces. Patrice was quiet not looking directly at Mason as if hoping to avoid the conflict she knew was coming.

True to his word James had taken things in hand when Patrice arrived home. She was suitably demure and apologetic and swore that she would not interfere with Kallah's ambition to attend the summer workshops at Lightning Ridge. Mason was dubious but left to pick up Kallah from work entrusting his Uncle's to keep a lid on his mother's capriciousness.

He pulled up in front of the auction house and reached over opening the door for a smiling Kallah. "Hey, gorgeous," he greeted her.

"Hey handsome," she smiled leaning over to kiss him, "How's your day been?"

"Drama filled. How about you? David showing up at work must have been a surprise," he said tentatively not sure if she thought it was a good or a bad thing.

"Oh yes, some of the pieces he has in his collection are amazing, I can't wait to see them in reality. Pictures are great and all but to stand before a canvas and be able to look at the brush strokes would just be amazing. I told him we would come down for a long weekend soon. I hope you don't mind," she looked up at him with her enthusiasm plain on her face.

"That's great," he laughed, "You can poke around that dusty old house and I will catch up with some old friends."

"You don't think your mother will do anything to ruin my chances to get into the summer workshops?" she asked tentatively acknowledging the text she got from Amber and his strange phone call earlier that afternoon.

"No, I've made it clear that you want us to stay out of it, and by us I mean all of her friends as well," Mason answered with a hard tone in his voice. He may have defended her dream to attend the workshops, but that didn't mean he was entirely happy about it.

"Thank you," she said quietly and reached out a hand to stroke his thigh as they drove. "So back to my place so I can begin making last night up to?" Kallah grinned.

"Hell yes," Mason laughed relieved that today hadn't seemed to have fazed her at all.

*****

On Friday afternoon, Mason drove Kallah out to a small airfield to meet the light plane that would take her out to lightning Ridge. Mason had convinced her with Amber and Bryan's help not to attempt the drive out to Lightning Ridge in her old car by herself. So she paid an extra fee that would cover the air travel to and from the workshop as well as supplies whilst there so she only had one small bag of luggage to worry about. Mason carried it for her to a small check in counter.

"Have fun, you'll be amazing," Mason said quietly pulling her into his arms. "I miss you already." She grinned up at him and kissed him hugging him back.

"It's only a weekend, and I will call you whenever I have time," she laughed and kissed him again. "You have to let me go," she whispered squirming against his arms that still encircled her tightly.

"If I have to," he sighed dramatically making her laugh.

"I love you," she caressed his cheek and looked into his eyes, "I'll call you when I get there."

"Love you too," he watched as she walked out onto the tarmac convincing himself that she would be fine.

Kallah looked over her shoulder before she went through the door of the small aircraft and waved one last time. She was excited but not as excited as she thought she would be to be going down to meet Paul Vaughn and the other artists who ran the workshops. There was a small part of her that resented the fuss Mason had created around this trip. His mother had never said a word about knowing and he had been nothing but supportive since that one initial argument, but that had been enough to sow the seeds of doubt in her mind.

She sat beside a flamboyant character called Sally. Sally had turquoise coloured hair, piercings in every conceivable place that Kallah could see, and her clothes looked mismatched and garish. When she spoke though it was with a posh accent and she laughed happily as they spoke about their excitement of being invited to the workshop. There were four other young people on the plane who were as equally enthusiastic and the two-hour flight seemed to melt away as they got to know each other a little better.

The plane touched down on a rural airstrip in what they saw through the windows as the middle of nowhere. No houses or buildings seemed to be in sight just one large steel shed that the plane inched into slowly. They alighted and grabbed their bags heading in the direction instructed and onto a small minivan. The landscape was barren but as they drove the scenery became filled with gum and acacia trees and lights twinkled in the distance against the darkening sky.

When they finally got to their destination the girls piled out in front of an old wide veranda that wrapped neatly around a large country house. An older portly gentleman came out welcoming them with his arms spread wide in greeting.

"Welcome, welcome, come on in and get settled, and then we will do a big meet and greet," he invited, and he showed them to their rooms. There were two to a room and Kallah, and Sally decided to share the first room they came to letting the others sort out the rest. Kallah quickly texted Mason to let him know she was sharing a room with another girl, and she was safe before moving on. His answering message had wished her luck.

Once rooms had been assigned, and baggage stowed away they went to a large open plan living area where several others awaited their arrival. The six newcomers found seats among the others where they could find space and wait for the older gentleman, who Kallah assumed to be Paul Vaughn to get proceedings underway.

"I encourage everyone to get to know each other over the evening meal we have set out for you on the back veranda. There are twelve of you who have been invited here to add to your portfolio's, only four will receive offered places in the upcoming summer workshops," he paused and let that information sink in. "Each of you has a unique style that my colleagues and I have agreed deserved a closer inspection than just what you have sent us thus far."

"I would like to introduce you to your mentor's for this weekend, if you do not recognise the faces immediate I am sure you will recognise the names," he motioned to his left and a dark skinned man stood and nodded to the group. "Kick Richards, Bryce McCabe, Harry Hart and myself, Paul Vaughn." At each man's name a new person stood up and nodded to the group. The shirt Kick Richards wore highly amused Sally but with Mason's warnings reverberating in her mind Kallah frowned at it. A black T-shirt with large bold white letters proclaiming, "White girls can hump" made her uneasy, and she cursed that Mason had put her on edge and tried to get into the light atmosphere of the group.

"Now if you wouldn't mind introducing yourselves and letting everyone know a little of your style," he waved his hand to the girl sitting closest to his left and took a seat. Kallah listened as several girls all stood and introduced herself.

"Most the students are girls," she whispered to Sally as it suddenly dawned on her looking around the room, that only three young men sat amongst the group.

"The guys probably all got a free pass into the summer workshops," she rolled her eyes, "Private school boys clubs, wealth and power can still buy their tickets into anything they want. The rest of us have to pay our dues."

"What about the guys who don't have all that?" Kallah laughed at her new friend's view of the world.

"Not motivated enough to apply or save the cash," Sally shrugged non-plussed before she stood to introduce herself. "I'm Sally," she said demurely, "I am obviously the shy conservative wallflower of the group," she smirked at the gathering. "I admire Kick's shock art greatly but I am not that brave and tend towards more traditional means of making a statement." She bowed and took her seat nudging Kallah into an animated leap from the couch.

"I am Kallah," she blurted as she stumbled to her feet. "I probably admire the work of the Antipodes and that of the Fielding family. I guess I would classify myself as a figurative artist, and I am looking forward to this weekend." She sat as soon as she finished, a little intimidated by the big names of the art world who would be judging and critiquing her work this weekend.

As the last girl finished speaking the whole group adjourned to the rear of the building to a large long table with trestle seating. The table was laden with platters of fruit and salads and an array of poultry and cold meats. Several flagons of wine dotted around the table, and the merriment of the evening began in earnest.

Kallah took a seat close to Harry Hart and several of the other students and listened avidly to the surrounding conversations finding little opportunity to add anything to the constant stream of voices. It was with some relief that Kallah looked up as Paul called the table to attention by tapping his knife on a glass.

"This weekend will go by in the blink of an eye, and we wish to give you all every opportunity to show us your talent and personalities. To that end we have a small evening workshop to start us off, if you will follow me," He smiled benignly and lifted his arms, and the lights illuminating the back veranda changed and swung out into the dark depths of the surrounding landscape. He walked down the stairs and across the well-manicured lawns towards what Kallah could see as she got closer were easels and canvases illuminated by the spot lights that now pointed in that direction.

Beyond the easels was a small dam surrounded by skinny paperbark trees. The tree's wispy branches that hung low to the water created ripples in such a way that the moon that was nestled in a small space between the tops of the surrounding trees distorted in the dam's water. Kallah was entranced and approached the easel that held her name happily. She found herself sitting between a young guy with a friendly smile and girl she hadn't really had a chance to talk with so far.

Kallah studied the supplies, oils, a palette and a variety of brushes and other bits and pieces. A picture was already forming in her mind of just how she would like to capture this scene when her hand curled around a small bundle of pencil thin charcoal on the bottom of the box making her smile. She began to outline her idea on the canvas losing herself in the moment. Bryce McCabe walked between her and the girl beside her and smiled at them both before motioning the guy on Kallah's side to move closer.

"This weekend is not about playing it safe, it's about stretching yourselves and how you view the world around you. Each of you have impressive portfolio's that you sent in with your applications, it's why you are here. I will be your mentor for the weekend, and I want you to immerse herself in the people and the landscape that is this little piece of paradise," he said with authority. "I would like the three of you to each get one of the places available in the upcoming summer workshop," he said including the young man on the other side of Kallah.

At that moment, there was a squeal of excitement, and three naked women ran and jumped into the cool clear water of the dam followed by a strolling Kick Richards. Bryce sighed audibly and nodded toward the noisy group, "You may, of course, approach any of the mentors for guidance, but I will be consistently monitoring your progress and offering constructive criticism as will the other mentors will to their protégé's."

"Thank you," Kallah said simply in response. "It will be wonderful to work with you."

"Of course, it will," he winked at her. "Find a point of reference something unexpected and bring it to the fore, surprise me with what you see before you," he turned and walked over to where Paul stood surveying the group.

"That was a little intense. I'm Tim, by the way," the young guy beside Kallah grinned at the two girls.

"Kallah," she returned his smile and turned to the other girl.

"I'm Cora," she said softly her face remaining passive. "I had hoped to get Harry as a mentor," she pursed her lips making her look peevish. "I guess I have to work with what I've been given," she said in a tone that bordered on petulance making Tim raise his eyebrows and look at Kallah.

"I'm going to go down to the edge and get a better look at everything in the scene," Kallah said lightly and moved from her stool to walk down to the dam. She could see the greenish-blue tinge of Sally's hair as she watched the small group skinny dipping. Not wanting to intrude on the small groups obvious fun without getting in the water herself Kallah looked around peering into the trees and up into the sky. She had spied a strange chrysalis hanging from an overhead branch and reflecting back light as if made of metal when a spray of water from the dam hit her making her squeal and jump back from the edge.

"Kallah, come in the water is exquisite!" Sally called out having gotten her attention.

"No thanks, I think I have just found my focal point, and I want to get started," she grinned at her new friend and walked back to her easel. She realised a small table with wine and platters of fruit and cheeses had been brought down for the group and taking a small bottle of water to sip on she sat back at her easel. She immersed herself in the image that formed in her mind as she painted over her initial idea begun before Bryce had come to talk with them.

1...45678...10