Life Art

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The final three poses were pairs, she and Tim, then she and Cora and finally Cora and Tim. When the session was complete they were given free time to continue working or relax before dinner. Kallah felt the pressure to produce three complete pieces of art before she left the following afternoon, so she decided to gather her things and head back out to the dam. She found it peaceful there on her own, and she liked seeing how the shadows changed the look of the still water and surrounding trees at the different times of day.

Returning to her room for her painting supplies, she looked at the canvas she had finished that morning and smiled. She was happy with it and happy enough with the idea she had begun for the second canvas. She grabbed her box of supplies and the canvas she had started that morning before stopping and slipping her phone into her pocket. She wasn't sure she wanted to hear the worry in Mason's voice and have it feed her irrational uneasiness around Paul Vaughn, but she also missed him dearly. She wished could have been there tonight when Bryan and Amber met Patrice and her friends properly.

"Where are you going?" Tracey asked as she passed her in the hall.

"Back down to the dam, I wanted to get a bit more work done," Kallah said cheerily.

"I won't get into the summer workshops now anyway," Tracey said sadly, "But I'll come too if you don't mind the company."

"Of course, you will. Don't be so pessimistic. Come paint with me, we can make sure we both get our three pieces done. Maybe we can talk Sally into coming with us as well," Kallah said overly brightly, "I'll see what she says and meet you down there." Tracey nodded, and Kallah headed back to the living area in search of Sally.

Sally declined the offer but said she would come and see what they were up to and fetch them for dinner in an hour. Kallah set herself up and looked at the scene in the afternoon light. She had grown up as a city girl and couldn't imagine living without the comforts of that life but at times like this she thought it might not be so bad. Reaching into her pocket she pulled out her phone and called Mason; he was a country boy at heart, so maybe he could appreciate how she felt right then.

"Hey cutie, I was just thinking about you," he answered on the second ring. "I am missing you terribly."

"I miss you too," she smiled widely just hearing his voice.

"You will have to make this up to me you know," his voice has lowered suggestively.

"I am looking forward to it," she giggled. "So have you got everything ready for tonight, I wish I could be there to see the fun. Bryan will be the life of the party I am sure."

"So come back. I can have a plane there in a couple of hours," Mason chuckled. "James will use any excuse he can to fly his new bird as he calls it."

"No," she laughed, "I'm enjoying it here, aside of missing you. I never liked working with oils before, but my mentor Bryce is great with technique and suggestions. It's been wonderful really." She went on to tell him about the scene in front of her and her ideas. She left out the afternoons activities thinking that he wouldn't be happy about his uncle getting a bit touchy with her while she was nude.

"My friends here, so I better get back to work. Have a great time tonight, don't let Bryan drink too much. I love you," she said as Tracey arrived and set up her easel.

"I love you too. Call me whenever you need to, anytime," Mason said and then he was gone.

"I called my boyfriend too," Tracey smiled. "He doesn't understand why I came here. He thinks that it's silly to want the approval of these people. They aren't art critics they don't buy or sell art. He thinks I should just do my own thing and have a gallery showing and wallah I will be a discovered talent." She shook her head.

"Yeah, mine wasn't thrilled about me coming either," Kallah nodded, "But we're here now so we make the best of it and see what we can produce."

The sun was setting as she continued working on layering her background. The oil paints seemed to move with her mind as she let herself be drawn in once again until the brilliant pinks and oranges of the sunset took away the light making it almost impossible to continue. She looked over at Tracey's canvas. She saw a slightly distorted version of herself in the standing pose she had done, naked but for a hooded red cloak. Beside the version of herself stood a large wolf, tongue lolling in its mouth as a paw trailed vivid red scratches over one breast. Kallah was startled and gasped making Tracey turn to face her.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Tracey said looking between the canvas and Kallah's startled expression. He always just seems so predatory doesn't he? It's that soft voice and the feather light touches," She continued explaining her depiction of the wolf and Kallah realised she was talking about Paul Vaughn.

"Yeah, it's a bit unsettling," Kallah nodded but suddenly realised Tracey was speaking from experience. "Did he umm, do something? I mean to you?"

"Seems the only way I was getting to the summer workshops was by playing nice," Tracey said sadly. "I was going to go home this morning, but you changed my mind. You were right, even if it's only the weekend we should get as much as we can out of this experience."

"Oh god," Kallah buried her face in her hands, "Mason was right!"

"What?" Tracey asked.

"My boyfriend tried to warn me that Paul Vaughn was a sleaze-bag, but I didn't believe them," she shook her head. "I was so determined to do this my way, ugh."

"Ah, didn't like the casting couch then," Sally said matter-of-factly as she joined the two of them down at the damn.

"You too?" Kallah was horrified that she was so naïve about this place.

"Sure it's all part of the Lightning Ridge Legend," Sally laughed. "God knows I have slept with enough losers in my life one more won't hurt."

"I couldn't do it," Tracey said sadly, "I couldn't do it to Lachlan. Cheating it cheating..." her voice trailed off. "It's not like he forced me or anything, just made it clear that to get into the full summer workshop..." she shrugged.

"It's just a means to an end, but I reckon whether your here for a weekend or a full summer workshop it'll still look great on your resume," Sally shrugged. "It was an easy choice in my view. I have always been a fan of Kick so falling into his bed was just what I wanted." She grinned at the two stunned girls, "You pretty types are always far too uptight."

"That's what I thought this morning. It's still doing a workshop here, and despite the legend, it goes a long way in the art world," Tracey sighed.

Kallah had stayed silent; both horrified and stunned by Sally's disclosure. She had no intention of trading on Mason's name or family but if Paul came near her again, she would use it like a stun grenade.

The evening meal was served around a great bonfire on the east side of the property where a large clearing made it safe despite the wooded surrounds. The three people being mentored by Harry Hart were given face and body paint after dinner and encouraged to go tribal as music played loudly in the background. Unsurprisingly to Kallah several others joined in the rhythmic dancing around the fire but having been offered several glasses of wine which she politely declined Kallah retreated slightly from the frivolity close to the fire and moved closer to the house.

Paul walked over to her and handed her a glass of wine, "Here, this will help you relax and get into the spirit of things," he said with a smile standing much too close to her for her liking.

"No thanks," she waved it away politely and took a step back.

"I can make your application go ahead very smoothly, or..." he tilted his head and held out the glass to her again.

"And, there it is," she sighed. "I really wish you hadn't have said that, I mean, have you put something in that drink to help me relax?" She eyed him.

"No, it's just a glass of wine," he seemed to take offence at her words. "You seem very anxious this evening, and I thought you could use a drink," Paul continued to crowd her with his bulk.

"Tell you what. You drink half, and I will drink the other half," she smiled innocently.

"I am not sure you understood me when I suggested that your application could go ahead..." he spluttered as she held up her hand and cut him off.

"I understood very well. I was just trying to give you a chance to redeem yourself and prove that Mason wasn't right all along," Kallah sighed.

"What?" Paul seemed genuinely dumb-founded.

"My fiancé, Mason Vaughn... well we haven't told anyone that we're engaged yet. We were waiting for the ring to arrive," she lied easily feeling that fiancé would hold more weight with this sleaze ball than simply boyfriend. "He practically begged me not to come here. I thought he was just over-protective and jealous. You have no idea how stupid I feel right now, thinking I got my invitation because you saw some talent in my work."

"Patrice could never keep a secret like that, as soon as she knew you were coming she would have called and told me. Of course, if you really did know Mason, you would know that about his mother. I imagine you met them once at one of her showings. This story of yours is a fairly pitiful attempt to smooth your way into the summer workshops, but you picked the wrong man to try to dupe. I should punish you for telling lies like a little girl, a spanking perhaps?" Paul leered at her seeking to press his perceived advantage.

"Shit, I give you every possible out, to try and redeem yourself and you, offer to spank me? Are you fucking kidding me? I have no intention what so ever of hurting Mason by telling him he was right about what a letch you are, but there is someone I have no problem telling," she pulled her phone out of her pocket. "I can't believe I was so stupid as to think Lightning Ridge was a legitimate art school." She fumed and walked back towards the bonfire where more people could see her, and she felt a little bit safer, not that she thought he would go so far as to use force but... She shook her head in anger at her herself more than anyone else. She turned back to Paul, who was watching her with a smirk on his face. "Am I the only here who didn't know this place was just a casting couch for the big show?"

"Hey cutie, didn't expect to hear from you this early," Masons voice came down the phone.

"Hey handsome, I actually rang because I need to ask David a question, can I talk to him for just a minute, please?" Kallah said attempting to keep her voice as normal as possible despite the mix of emotions she was feeling.

"Sure, hang on, I will put him on," she could hear the uncertainty in Mason's voice as he walked across the deck.

"Oh Mason?" she called before he could hand the phone over to David.

"Yeah?" he answered curiously.

"Will you marry me?" she giggled quietly.

"Sure, just as soon as you get back.. Here's David," he laughed.

"Hello," David said.

"Hi David, I just need a small favour if you don't mind," Kallah watched Pauls face. He seemed slightly less sure of himself.

"Sure honey, what can I do for you?" David asked curiously.

"Well, being close to Patrice and Mason I assume you know Paul Vaughn?" Kallah had walked back towards Paul, "I was wondering if you could tell Mr Vaughn that any further suggestion regarding spanking me is truly inappropriate given my relationship with his nephew."

"Oh no! He didn't try and ... wait let me guess... smooth the way for your application?" David groaned.

"Almost exactly the same words he used," Kallah let out a breath she had been holding. She hadn't been sure if asking David would have been the right move. "Would you mind having a word to him about exactly how I know you?"

"Of course honey," David replied and Kallah held out the phone to Paul. She listened to the one sided conversation realising that she would never have been invited had he known who she was. Talent didn't play a part in his decision making as all the invitee's here had talent in their chosen mediums.

He handed the phone back and Kallah after a time, and she could hear David still laughing, "That was priceless honey, welcome to the family. Mason's prowling around here and Patrice is going to burst, I am afraid you may have opened a can of worms."

The phone rattled a little as it switched hands, and she heard Mason's worried voice, "Everything okay there?"

"Of course, it was just that I needed David to settle a small debate for me," she turned to look directly at Paul, "It went smoother this way. Honestly you have nothing to worry about."

"If you say so," Mason replied dubiously then burst into loud laughter. "You can't take it back now; David has just announced our engagement to the family," he continued to laugh. "So when you get back I expect you to sweep me off my feet and get down on one knee and all that. I want to the works, romance me."

"Maybe not the moment I get back, I have a bit of making things up to you to do. Plus I'm not prepared I haven't got you a ring or anything yet but when you least expect it, bam baby, romance overload. I promise," Kallah grinned into the phone.

"Sounds great! I better go before Mum and Amber plan the whole wedding for next weekend. Call me later, cutie," Mason said and then he was gone.

Kallah realised she would much rather have been there than here. She felt lighter though, more relaxed. She hadn't realised how tightly she had been holding onto her ideas about this place and what it meant in her own mind rather than accept Mason's warnings. Now that her anxiety was gone, she felt quite unconcerned that she probably wouldn't get invited to the summer workshops. She did however have one more night and most of tomorrow to make the most out of this weekend, so she headed back inside to the living area, leaving Paul staring after her.

Kallah gathered a large canvas from the storage room and placed it against a wall that held a drop sheet from earlier that evening. Kallah found large pots of acrylic paint, wide brushes and lining them up beside the canvas she began. The night grew long, and people came and went commenting and critiquing. Harry Hart stayed some time with her enjoying the way she was treating the canvas and offering helpful suggestions.

Kallah smiled when her phone rang, and she saw it was Mason.

"Hey handsome," she said softly aware that some people had gone to sleep while she had immersed herself in her canvas.

"You were supposed to call me," he accused.

""Aww I am sorry I just started painting and lost track of time again," She sat on the floor in front of the large canvas listening to the familiar voice of the man in the portrait before her.

"You've been awake all night?" he asked.

"I guess. What's the time?" Kallah blinked and looked around for a clock.

"It's about six. You should get some sleep," Mason said, worry creeping into his voice again.

"Yeah probably," she said softly and stood stretching her body. "I guess I will take you to bed with me and you can tell me a story while I fall asleep." She yawned and walked toward her room.

Sliding into bed she smiled and whispered good night letting Mason's voice croon her to sleep as he told her a story about a crazy girl who loved to paint.

*****

Sally attempted to wake Kallah up for breakfast at about nine, but Kallah waved her off claiming to not be hungry, but Sally was persistent. "Come on it's the last day. Get up. You can sleep when you're dead."

Kallah dragged herself out of bed, still covered in paint from the night before she grabbed her towel and went to have a quick shower.

She felt better as she walked through the living area to grab what was left of the breakfast buffet. Making herself a bacon and egg sandwich she hurried out to the deck and sat near Sally, to listen to the day schedule as Paul stood up and addressed the group.

The morning would be spent in figure studies again in the small formal gardens at the front of the property. Each of his group would take turns to pose. In a change to the itinerary, a small group of frequent guest artist's wold be arriving to critique and give advice to any student who would like the extra input from experts. Kallah took small mouthfuls of the sandwich she had made and listened to the chatter around her as people questioned which artists would be arriving.

At any other time, she would have hoped that it was the friends of Patrice coming, well-known in their own right most of them, but she knew Mason had made it clear that they were not supposed to interfere with her time here. Of course, she had invited that interference herself the night before by calling and asking David to intervene on her behalf but after all that had happened she doubted that they would come so she joined in the speculation with the others.

They slowly made their way from the back deck to gather their supplies and move to the front gardens. Kallah stopped in the living area where her canvas still stood from the night before taking up a vast amount of wall space. She eyed it critically, following the contours of the face and the down over the physique she knew so well. The life art session where she, Cora and Tim had been the models had helped her in shaping the angles of his body in a better way than she had in the past. In her mind women were all soft curves and men tended toward hard angles. Yesterday though, as she had listened to the tutorial where they had discussed the muscle's groups using Tim as the model had shifted her thinking somewhat. She found that by softening the angles slightly she had managed to capture how Mason appeared in her mind's eye with a reasonable likeness.

As it didn't seem to bother anyone overly where it was, she didn't move it but left it to dry thinking that if she had time she would return to it to add finer detail that afternoon. Fortunately, she had completed the first canvas, and she had a series of sketches from yesterday she could turn in along with this canvas if she had time to complete it. It didn't matter in the long run she knew after the conversation with Paul last night but she sis want to hand in the required three pieces regardless. She felt less pressure to ensure she created in every minute of the day though as she made her way out to formal gardens.

The models appeared to flutter and hide amongst rose bushes and hedges, and Kallah smiled as they lent themselves to her theme. Eager to complete another piece and show her versatility, if only to her friends, Kallah chose to work with her favoured medium of chalk pastels. As so easily happened this weekend Kallah lost herself in a vision she was creating on the canvas.

"I've been waiting to see your technique in this medium," Bryce said from behind her. "I was very taken with the portfolio you submitted and the gentle touches you seem to have with colour blending."

Startled from her bubble of concentration Kallah looked up at the man who had narrowed his eyes scrutinising her work. "I was stretching myself while I was here, you know taking the opportunity to explore other mediums while I had people to help me with technique," she smiled, "but I do love the feel of the chalk on my fingers."

"It shows," he nodded. He ran his fingers over the tray holding the rainbow of colours and rubbed the dust between his fingers. "I hear that you're newly engaged, congratulations."

"It's not official or anything yet," she held up her left hand. "No ring or anything."

"You could have avoided this weekend and just gone to the summer workshops you realise, Paul has never been able to deny Patrice anything she wanted," Bryce said with a strange edge to his voice.

"I know it sounds dumb but I wanted to get in on my own. I hadn't heard the rumours or legends about the summer school. I feel pretty stupid to be so naïve as to believe it was all about the art," she sighed and watched as Bryce pulled up a stool.