Life Art

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,540 Followers

The two women had been quietly appreciative of her talent offering minor critiques when Mason came and slid his arms around her from behind and whispered in her ear. "Wanna get out of here?"

"More than anything," she murmured back with a smile.

Mason pulled her away from the small group that had started to form in the living room, and they made their way out of the house and down toward the dam. They had walked a little in silence both trying to find the words they needed.

"I'm sorry," they both said simultaneously.

"Me first," Kallah held his hand tighter and he nodded starting to walk with her again. "I should have listened to you and not taken your warnings about this place so personally. I just couldn't believe it at the time and for not talking to you last night, but I thought if you knew... well I didn't want to fight, and I didn't want you mad at your Uncle because I was an idiot." She sighed, "I really am sorry, Mason."

"I never wanted to stop you chasing your dreams and I shouldn't have tried. You have done some great work here and made some cool friends from what I can see," Mason said quietly.

"There you go making it easy for me to make things right between us again. My life just seems easier when you're around," she stopped walking and turned to hug him.

"I don't believe having my meddling mother in your life is making things easier," he chuckled. "My turn," he took a breath. "You sounded so exhausted and strained when I spoke to you this morning I was worried, especially after last night so when James offered to fly us down here in his plane, I said yes. It's not actually Mum's fault we are here. I know you wanted to do this yourself, but I couldn't help..." his words cut off as she kissed him.

"I'm sorry I lied to your uncle about being engaged and then asked you to marry me the way I did. I just thought fiancé sounded better at the time than girlfriend, but he didn't believe me anyway because your mother hadn't taken out a full page spread in the family newsletter or something," she laughed lightly still unsure of how seriously he had taken that proposal.

"There was another reason," Mason said quietly, "Why he wouldn't have believed you." Kallah looked up at him curiously but said nothing. "My grandparents were originally from here, opal miners. Did you know Lightning Ridge is the only place you can find black opals?"

"It came up when I researched this place. They're so beautiful if we had have been closer to town I would have gone and looked around for a small one to take home," she said enthusiastically.

"Mother has a beautiful ring that was my great grandmothers, though she doesn't wear it much these days. You should ask her to show you next time we are down there, its spectacular. I think I have only seen one better than hers. It was my grandmothers," Mason smiled and pulled a small box out of his pocket. "Now if you get down on one knee and propose to me properly it will be yours." Kallah gasped her eyes fixed on the box her mouth opening and closing speechlessly.

"I know you asked me to marry you because of the situation. I know we probably should wait; we haven't been together that long after all. I also know how I feel about you and how right it felt when you asked. I had no hesitation when I said yes, and I would marry you tomorrow if that's what you wanted. So I claimed my grandmother's ring from Paul," he slowly opened the box for her to see the black opal and diamond ring. "We can have a long engagement to work all the details out but, say you will marry me despite my strange family."

"I was supposed to do it. You wanted the works remember," Kallah said with a quiet breathlessness not daring to reach for the ring.

"Right at this moment all I want is you," he pulled her into his arms and kissed her.

"I love you," she whispered between kisses. "Your family is nothing, wait until you meet mine." Then she disentangled herself from his arms and got down one knee. Mason put a hand on his chest and gasped in mock shock at her actions. "Everything you said is true, we probably should wait; I probably had the wrong motivations when I asked last night, but when you said all I want right at this moment is you has never been truer for me. Make me the happiest girl in the world and marry me please, Mason, my love," she said formally.

Mason knelt with her then and took the ring from the box, "Nothing could make me happier." He slipped the ring onto her finger easily and kissed her pulling her down into the grass beside the dam. "I love you too."

*****

A full year after returning from her weekend at Lightning Ridge Kallah stood before the brightly lit gallery and smiled. She had not taken up the invitation to return to the summer workshops that year instead she had gathered her friends together once a month since that weekend and planned this night to perfection.

In truth the exhibition had been Mason's idea after the first weekend they had spent with Tim, Tracey and Sally. He had, with Tim's prompting, unveiled the project he had been working on in the old shed. Kallah despite the photo's she had received from Tim had her first real insight into just how talented Mason was and was mesmerised by the intricate carving she saw for the first time..

He had created a carved triptych hinged together to form a decorative screen. On the two outer panels delicately wrought was her own image as a woodland nymph, the centre panel though was an intimate portrayal of a satyr with Masons face locked in lovers pose with herself as the nymph. It was startling and intimate and seemed in some places so delicate as to be almost translucent.

He and Tim had got into an in-depth conversation about how to display it with back lighting and framing when Sally asked where this display would happen and suggested a gallery space. Mason shook his head and laughed off the suggestion, but Sally persisted.

"I'll make a deal with you," Mason had said at some point after too many beers and not enough pizza. "You four come up with half a dozen pieces each and I will get Annabeth to give us a showing in her gallery." The idea had built like wildfire after that statement and Mason not realising that this was a challenge they were all eager to accept began to regret his words.

Kallah smiled at the memory and the consequent planned that ensued. The opening night was to be an invitation only event, no critics or press to bring down the mood of what Kallah had secretly planned for Mason with the help of her closest friends. The challenge for her had been getting everyone to commit to attending the opening without having to reveal the real reason or letting on to Mason why this was so important to her to just have the people they loved there.

Mason was returning from parking the car, and she shook off the memory to watch as he walked toward her. She knew without a doubt that he was her soul mate and that she was already living her happily ever after with him.

"Are you ready for this?" He asked as he came to stand beside her.

"You have no idea how much," she smiled, but the butterflies in her tummy seemed to turn into flesh-eating moths as soon as they started toward the doors.

Inside they met up with the friends with whom they had dreamed up this exhibition and amongst the excited babble Anna-Beth and Amber, who had been roped into help reassured them that everything was perfect, and they had nothing to worry about. The guests arrived in a flurry of excitement about the new exhibition, and when Kallah could see the main players in her secret plan had arrived, she told Mason she had something to take care of and disappeared from his side.

"Do you think Bryan managed to get him in place?" Kallah asked nervously twenty minutes later as she stood between Amber and her other two long-time friends Donna and Louise.

"If he hasn't already he is under instruction to bodily pick him up and plonk him there when the music starts," Amber laughed. "Just worry about what you are doing and leave the rest to us."

The extended intro began to play through the speakers and the door they stood in front of opened slowly. In a carefully choreographed dancing walk, the four women created a path through the startled crowd to the centre of the room. On cue, Kallah lifted the microphone and began to sing the opening lines to the Al Green classic she had chosen for this moment.

"I'm... I'm so in love with you..." she could hear the nervousness in her voice as Mason's face came into view before her. "Whatever you want to do... Is alright by me..." The girls began their harmonies as the music continued to play, and murmurs from the watching crowd of friends and relatives died down. "'Cause you... make me feel so brand new... And I... want to spend my life with you..."

The four girls went through the carefully choreographed movements through the room with Bryan and Eric ushering Mason along to where he needed to be. As they approached the final destination of the dancing walk, Kallah continued to sing, "Whether times are good or bad, happy or sad, lets... let's stick together..." the music faded out and taking a big breath she got down on one knee and took his hand.

"Mason, I messed up my first proposal but I want you to know I meant it then as much as I mean it now. Will you marry me?" Kallah produced a small box and opened it holding it out to him.

"Yes! Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes!" he flapped his hands around effeminately in a parody of so many women being proposed to. "Ooh put it on, put it on," he held out his hand to her as the room erupted in laughter.

"There's a catch," she snapped the box shut making the crowd gasp and Mason frown at her. "You have to marry me right now, here, tonight."

"Someone find me a justice of the peace!" Mason yelled into the room causing more laughter.

"I just so happen to have one of those right here," Anna-Beth said walking forward, her arm linked with that of a distinguished looking gentleman. Mason's jaw dropped open, and he turned to look at Kallah.

"You planned a wedding?" He was incredulous.

"No backsies," she warned with a wide smile, "Especially when Simon came all the way to be your best man."

"No way!" Mason's eyes searched the crowd and found Simon had already moved to stand just behind him. They embraced tightly while laughing loudly.

The crowd settled as Mason turned back to Kallah, who had taken the minutes in which his friend had kept him in a tight, back slapping embrace to peel off the basic black dress she had worn to the opening revealing an ivory sequined dress.

"Ready?" She grinned.

"Yes!" Mason grabbed her and kissed her.

"I think that comes at the end of the ceremony," Kallah laughed.

"I don't care," Mason laughed and kissed her again before turning and facing the Justice of the Peace.

"You planned a honeymoon too I hope," Mason grinned.

Kallah giggled by didn't answer as the simple ceremony commenced. She was beyond happy. All the dreams she had in the last few years had all culminated in this night of nights. After tonight she would have a successful exhibition of not only her own but her friends and new husband artwork to build upon, she would be married to her soul mate and they would have a honeymoon that would last the summer and beyond.

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,540 Followers
1...5678910