Life Art

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You don't need validation, that canvas in the living room is a testament to that. What you seem to need is a community where you feel safe to explore your talent, and that is what Lightning Ridge is about. It's why I come so often to mentor here," he looked at her then rather than at her canvas. "Look at what you have accomplished in two days just by leaving your everyday life behind and concentrating on your art. Imagine what you could do in weeks just being allowed indulge without the demands of everyday life."

"That's true I guess. Mason does have a way of capturing all my attention," she grinned. "He is encouraging though, in his own way, of my art." She felt the need to clarify that he was supportive of her.

"He'd have to be blind not to be, but I know Mason he's a good man. I recognised him in the portrait you left for all to see and the girls to giggle over," he smirked. "Seems you're a very lucky girl indeed, aren't you." He finally let his chuckle out making her blush.

"I am indeed," she said quietly but smiled widely. "How do you know Mason?" she asked.

"I've been friends with Paul and Patrice for longer than I care to admit," he continued to chuckle. "A vast majority of us have all met at one gallery or museum, or but the few community art councils like this tend to gather the same characters together time and again so that friendships form over time." He saw her look around, and dubious expression cross her face. "Don't let Paul's lack of a moral compass colour your view on all of us, he would never actually force himself on anyone..."

"Telling a girl he can smooth the way or make it harder for her is forcing himself on her," Kallah interrupted but spoke quietly despite the anger of the comment.

"When girls say no he walks away, and I know it doesn't make it any better but he only approaches candidates that have already proved themselves enough to get a place in the full workshop. I would expect more than half of the people here will get in. It's a particularly talented group; we are just looking at whether they can commit to it and keep up a good pace. Coming out to summer school and working on just one piece or not at all is what we try to eliminate by doing this. We need to know that the places are taken by people who will use the event to its fullest, especially when so many apply," Bryce explained.

"I guess that makes sense," Kallah said thoughtfully.

"Your roommate might need a warning," Bryce looked over at Sally, who was chatting happily. "You don't get in just because you jumped into bed willingly with Kick. He doesn't have to promise them anything," his chuckle emerged again. "That guy has girls throwing themselves at him everywhere he goes."

"He seems like such a pig though," Kallah shook her head making Bryce laugh loudly.

"He is!" The laughter continued even after Harry came over to see what the laughter was about.

"What's going on?" Harry asked with a smile knowing that it was rare that Bryce let down his guard and relaxed around the candidates preferring to hold himself aloof and keep a professional distance.

"Kallah was just making an observation about Kick that I found amusing," Bryce said with laughter still in his voice.

"I better go check on Tim, stay and chat Harry I believe you have friends in common with this girl," Bryce said and stood from the stool leaving it free for Harry.

"So how well do you know Mason?" Harry asked, "Judging by that portrait in there you know him better than I ever did." He grinned as she blushed.

"Does everyone here know everyone who is in the art community. Mason isn't even an artist, and everyone seems to know who he is," she laughed.

"Even though his mother is fairly well-known, in some circles Mason's work is regarded very highly," he said in reply. "That aside I happened to go to the same boarding school as he did though I was a couple of years older. Our fathers were old boys there, you know how it goes."

"He never talks about people he knows aside of when we are at the gallery. He just seems so far removed from it all, but everyone seems to know him better than I do," she frowned. "That doesn't bode well for our future does it," she pulled a face.

"Well to be fair his mother is Patrice Gallagher. She is, shall we say, no shrinking violet," he grinned. "He was never into all the publicity that came along with having a mother like his though. It was rare that he accompanied her anywhere. He tended to shy away from all of that probably why he chose a corporate word over the art world in the end."

Kallah didn't say anything she just nodded that she understood and lost herself in her thoughts of Mason as she added more detail the canvas before her. She didn't even look up when she heard Cora's irritated sounding voice address Harry.

"Seems like everyone is watching Kallah today, could you come look at what I have done so far please Harry?" Cora whined in her nasal tones her lips pinching together as if she tasted something sour.

"Of course," he said pleasantly, "I'll catch up with you later Kallah."

Kallah was tired and having completed what she believed as a fairly good canvas she decided to go have a nap before lunch and then try to finish off the large canvas in the living room with fresher eyes that afternoon before she left for home.

*****

In Kallah's dream, Mason had climbed into bed with her and wrapped his arms around her. She sighed happily and snuggled close knowing she belonged there. She felt him nuzzle at her neck and purred contently not opening her eyes to look at him so as not to break the dream.

"I missed this," he murmured into her ear huskily and her eyes popped open.

"Mason! You're here! I was dreaming..." she pinched him making him yelp.

"Hey, you're supposed to pinch yourself not me," he laughed and rubbed his arm.

"What are you doing here? You weren't supposed to come, remember?" She looked up into his eyes glad, despite her words, to see him and feel his arms around her.

"You blew that deal when you called and invited David into your little weekend away," he frowned at her. "Plus I thought I would give you the chance to propose properly," he grinned at her.

"I already did and you said yes. Trying to back out of it now?" She teased him.

"Not at all. I just want witnesses, but judging by that enormous canvas in the living area, I think most people realise you have a thing for me," he laughed at the horrified look on her face. "I'm flattered in more ways than one even if you did exaggerate a little." He took her hand and placed it over his semi-hard cock.

"Maybe a bit more than a 'thing' for you," she placed her free hand on his cheek and leaned forward to kiss him, letting the kiss deepen as they moulded to each other.

"There you are," Patrice bubbled barging into the room without knocking.

"Mother!" Mason groaned.

"Everybody is waiting for you and they're starving, there will be enough time for... that, later," Patrice waved an arm airily.

"Now Kallah darling, Amber and I were thinking you should have two engagement parties, one in the city and one down on the farm. What do you think?" She had taken Kallah's arm and steered her from the room as soon as she stood up from the bed leaving Mason to trail along behind them.

"I'm not sure we are ready to announce it to the world yet, I mean he hasn't even met my parents," Kallah looked over her shoulder at Mason, who just shrugged and mouthed the words, "I warned you," silently.

"Nonsense, you two are so right for each other it would be criminal to delay the celebration of your love and commitment to eachother. Just leave everything to me," Patrice wrapped an arm around Kallah's waist and pulled her closer as they walked.

"Patrice, thank you, but no. I would like Mason and I to do this our way and if that is a bit slower than everyone else wants then so be it," she untangled herself from Patrice's arm and went to Mason. "We will let you know when we are ready to make an announcement, okay." She looked up at Mason and saw the merriment in his eyes as he looked at his mother.

"I told you, Mum. You won't be able to bulldoze her like you do me," Mason said barely keeping the amusement from his voice.

"Well, let not worry about the details right now. We can discuss that on the way home," Patrice said as if Kallah had not objected at all.

"I tried to hold her back mate," James said apologetically to Mason. "You know once we opened Pandora's Box we were never going to get it shut again."

"She's a force of nature, wreaking havoc where ever she goes," Mason laughed enjoying the moment and adoring the girl beside him even more for the way she was handling the situation.

"Now if you would like to take your seat, Miss Sanders," Paul said as he stood to address the group. Mason scowled but let her go, and she took a seat at the long table. "As you can see this afternoon's guests have arrived early so on with the introductions," Paul said officiously. He introduced James and Dorothea first citing some of their works and exhibitions and though most of the group did not know of them they were welcomed warmly. He introduced Patrice as an imminent expert of sculpture and Mason also mentioning that he was a sculptor of some note along with several of his works, before introducing David Fielding whose reputation preceded him in any artistic community.

"We will leave you to your lunch and be available to anyone who would like to discuss their work through the afternoon in the living area," Paul announced and began to usher the guests back into the house.

"Oh no, that won't do at all," Patrice announced. "Mason be a darling boy and grab a few chairs from inside I am sure these lovely young people won't mind if we join them."

"As you wish," Paul said appearing none too pleased but acceding to her wishes.

With the older members of their group settled at each end of the table Mason squeezed onto the bench seat beside Kallah apologising to those on either side of them.

"Tell me, Mason," Sally leaned across the table to speak to him as soon as he sat down. "Would you say that the portrait Kallah painted of you..." she nodded her head toward the interior of the house, "... is anatomically correct?"

"Nothing is as exact as the real thing," he waggled his eyebrows at her suggestively. Kallah shook her head in mock disappointment but the effect was ruined by the smile she couldn't help as it spread across her face.

"I am not so sure," Sally said dubiously, "Maybe you should pose for us, and we could check... I mean, we could do a portrait study of you ourselves."

"This is my roommate, Sally," Kallah introduced them properly.

"Sadly I had to give up my modelling career when I started dating this insanely jealous and temperamental artist, you understand I am sure," Mason said with exaggerated emotion.

"Oh my," Sally played along as Kallah began to splutter protests, "However do you put up with that?"

Mason leaned forward conspiratorially and whispered loudly, "Great sex!" He winked and sat back with a self-satisfied grin.

"Good grief," Kallah groaned in mock exasperation. She should be mad that he was here, but she couldn't be. She had missed him and the way he just made everything so easy for her. He wasn't at all fazed by the portrait or Sally's comments, not that he had ever been shy about his physique, but she hadn't been sure how he would react to the canvas on display in the living area.

"Just to even the playing field for you a little," Tim interrupted their conversation from the other side of Mason, "There are quite a few nudes of that temperamental artist you mentioned around the place if your interested."

"Is that right?" Mason smiled widely. "Thank you very much..." he looked at Kallah, who supplied a name.

"This is Tim," Kallah laughed.

"Tim, my new friend," Mason repeated the name and clapped him on the shoulder, "Did you by chance do one yourself?"

"I have a few sketches," he said modestly but I have had the opportunity to peak at some of the other canvases. I think if you ask that girl," he pointed at Tracey, "you won't be disappointed. She's one of the better portrait artists here."

"Everybody here is talented, I guess that goes without saying," Kallah added.

"We'll I know you are," Mason said thoughtfully, "But now I feel I need to see a little bit of the others work to be sure what you say is true, starting with my new friend Tim and his friend Tracey."

"I thought you came out just to see me," Kallah laughed.

"I did," he smiled and leaned down to kiss her softly. Then she turned and looked at Sally nodding slightly and whispering loudly, "Temperamental." Making the people around them laugh.

People began to move around the table wanting to talk to the guests, a few sought out Mason, and he was pulled into conversations about sculpture and working with wood. Kallah was still surprised by the fact that he had made it seem to her that he had no real interest in the arts aside of being a patron, yet some of these people seemed to know of him. His dismissal of his family's comments about his talent had made her leave the subject alone but after this weekend she knew she needed to know more.

Paul appeared behind them, "Mason, could I have a word?" He said seriously and as Mason got to his feet Kallah worried about the events of the evening before and how much Mason knew exactly.

"Nice guy," Tim spoke as the space between them opened up after Mason's move from the table.

"Yeah, he is," Kallah smiled and turned her eyes from Masons retreating to Tim.

"Can I ask you something?" Tim said tilting his head.

"I guess, but I reserve the right not to answer if I don't like the question," Kallah laughed easily.

"Why would you want to spend all this money to come here, with half-arsed artists like Paul Vaughn when you have all that talent at your fingertips?" he sounded incredulous.

"I didn't realise David and Dorothea were part of Mason's family until this week," Kallah said defensively, "I applied for this year's summer workshops before I even met Mason come to think of it."

"Don't get me wrong, David, Patrice even Dorothea are stars in their own right but I would have paid this much to sit down with Mason and a block of wood for the weekend and talk to him as he worked his magic," Tim said.

"Mason never told me he was a sculptor and when Dorothea told me he was talented I asked him about it and he said it was just proud family boasting as if it wasn't really true. Honestly I have never seen anything he has done," she frowned. "That sounds bad even to me, like I am self-absorbed or something. I met him through a friend; he works for her, and he's a computer geek. He never once said..." her voice trailed off.

"Computer geek?" Tim chuckled.

"He's a programmer for a big software firm," Kallah said. "I have never seen him do anything remotely artistic," she was beginning to realise just how little she knew about him.

"To be fair there is much of his stuff around and unless you live on the central coast, you probably won't have seen what there is of his stuff on display. Tell you what, give me your email address, and I will send you some photos," Tim offered seeing a strange look on her face.

"That would be great thanks," Kallah agreed and pulled out her phone to get his details as well.

"I was serious though about not wasting your money. Like you said we all have enough talent, this is more about networking and having Lightning Ridge on the old biography. You have all the expert help you want at your fingertips and could probably find it in any medium just for the asking," he laughed.

"You don't think it would be bad to trade off my boyfriend's name or use his family like that?" Kallah asked unsurely thinking of the stance she had taken so strongly with Mason.

"Hell no," Tim laughed, "What's the worst they can say if you ask them for some help?"

"I guess," Kallah laughed. "I just, you know, wanted to do it, well get into the workshops on my own, because I am good enough not because mason arranged it for me."

"Do you like your own art?" Tim asked.

"Of course," Kallah shook her head at the question.

"Then you're good enough, for this workshop, for galleries, for anything and anybody who might want to judge your art. You can't please everyone but if you like it, chances are someone else will feel the same way and there you go you have your first fan," he grinned. "I have a feeling you already have your first fan though."

"Tim you have been a better mentor in the last ten minutes than Bryce has been all weekend. Just for that, why don't you come over one weekend I will supply the block of wood and the magic worker, and you can supply the pizza and beer," she grinned at him.

"Hell yes!" He almost shouted.

Sally leaned over the table laughing, "Seems everyone is claiming to be your new best friend." Kallah looked confused and looked around the table. There were probably only four people she had real conversations with this weekend and one of those, Cora; she didn't even like very much. "Be prepared to be inundated. It's not what you know it's who you know." She laughed again as Kallah pulled a face.

"I think I might just go for a walk down to the dam, if Mason comes back can you tell him where I am?" Kallah said to her friends and got up to leave the table. "Thanks for the chat Tim you have given me something to think about."

Kallah only made it a few steps when she was stopped by Patrice calling her name and waving her over. Kallah smiled and made her way to the end of the table where Patrice and Dorothea sat.

"So your good friend Cora here has been telling us that you have already invited her to your engagement party," Patrice said with a raised eyebrow.

"That would be a bit hard. Mason and I haven't had time to discuss it, let alone plan one yet," Kallah said looking directly at Cora.

"What I meant was... that I was sure you would invite me once your plans were settled," Cora explained looking away from Kallah and back to Patrice.

"Seems you have made a lot of friends in your short stay here," Dorothea smiled.

"A couple, yes, would you like to meet them?" Kallah offered.

"Very much excuse us would you please," Dorothea spoke to Cora whose expression had become tight and pinched once again. Kallah called Sally and Tim over along with Tracey and introduced them to the two women just as Mason re-emerged from the interior of the house. Kallah glanced at him with a worried expression, but he only smiled in return and put an arm around her.

"Ah, this is the girl I meant to catch up with, Tracey isn't it," Mason said surprising the young woman who had taken a seat near Patrice.

"Me?" Tracey seemed mystified by the statement.

"Yes, you," Mason chuckled, "I hear your work this weekend is something to behold. Any chance I could get a look at your canvases?"

"Mason's showing an interest in painting, I think I would like to see too," Patrice looked at the girl.

"They...they're in my room," Tracey stuttered nervously, looking from Patrice to Kallah and back to Mason.

"Maybe you could bring them out?" Mason encouraged.

"You don't have to if you're not happy with them," Kallah said seeing her hesitate.

"He just wants to see the nude you did of Kallah," Tim chuckled. "Come on I will even chaperone you."

"Stay, mother," Mason said as he followed the two others into the house.

"Why don't you show us what you have done this weekend, Kallah," Dorothea said distracting Patrice from following Mason.

"Sure why not, I'll bring the other two pieces out and meet you in the living room," She stood from the table and went to gather her things. She had been thinking of asking David about her original piece so she would be bringing them out anyway, she thought.