Shifting Priorities

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Enough," David growled and Kimberly looked away in embarrassment. The man rolled his neck to relieve the tension and looked around the room. "Where's Fiona?"

"At the hospital giving Alfred his luggage so he can leave from there," Helen offered.

David nodded his thanks to her and cast a glance at his wife.

The chateau's guide arrived and led them off to begin their tour of the grounds and facilities.

Ninety minutes later the group led a very tipsy David back into the salon. Kimberly's expression was grim and she stormed off to their room the moment they arrived. Kyle eased David down onto a chair as the man sighed with relief.

Giving Kyle and David strained smiles the others nodded to them as they went off to their rooms to prepare for dinner.

Then the two men were alone. "You really dodged a bullet," David mumbled as he stared down at his belly.

"Is everything ok?" Kyle asked.

David lifted his weary eyes to regard the younger man. "I wish I could go back to my youth and do things differently. Make different decisions. Choose a different wife."

"That's pretty cold, David," Kyle replied with a frown.

"No, it would be a mercy to both of us," the man argued. "I'm not who she needs and she's not who I need. We stay together for the wrong reasons. I should have ended this years ago."

"So, you get drunk in an effort to make her want to leave you?" Kyle asked as his eyebrows rose up.

David leaned his head back against the chairback so he could stare up at the ceiling. "Yeah... I suppose that's one reason."

"You understand this is far more painful for everyone? You hurt yourself and Kimberly. Does she deserve that?" Kyle asked.

David gave him an irritated look but shook his head reluctantly.

Kyle frowned. "I may be the last person who should be giving relationship advice considering my own situation, but if you love her, make it work! If you don't want to at least try to save your marriage, rip the band-aid off. The slow pull is just cruel."

With that said, Kyle left him sitting in the salon and made his way to the main staircase to go up to his room. As he reached the base he spotted Fiona walking in the front door with a smile on her lips. He stopped.

He heard himself repeating his words. "Is everything ok?"

Fiona's smile widened and she nodded definitively. "Yes! I've begun the process of eliminating that man from my life." She held up a set of folded pages. "My lawyer faxed over the divorce papers I had him prepare and I had Alfred sign them when I dropped off his bag. He was only too happy to do it."

Kyle looked at her in surprise. He was stunned at how quickly Fiona was moving on this. "How is that possible..."

"The documents were written a few months ago, the previous time our marriage was in a bad place. Alfred said he would try to change his ways. That proved to be another lie. My lawyer and the Sheriff will be waiting for him when he gets home so he can get his possessions out of our condo," she said with satisfaction.

"You're not going home too?" he asked.

She smiled widely at him. "No! I want to finish this delightful trip! I'm really enjoying myself!"

Kyle smiled warmly at her look of delight as she seemed to be surprised that she was enjoying the cycling. Then he saw her gaze turn hungry as her eyes undressed him.

"There are many things I've enjoyed on this trip," she purred.

He felt himself respond to her hungry look but knew they'd be expected to be in the dining room momentarily. "I'd like to offer you the upgraded room for tonight. Since Alfred is paying for it." He raised an eyebrow in question.

She prowled closer until she was almost touching his chest with her impressive tits. "I'd love to take advantage of your gracious offer. As long as the bed is upgraded too with the presence of a certain race winner?"

Kyle felt a thrill rush through his body and found himself nodding slowly. "That could be arranged."

Fiona's eyes flashed with excitement.

"Would you like to join me for dinner tonight?" he asked, his voice rough as he struggled to keep from giving in to a sudden desire to touch her.

She saw his need for her and for a moment her eyes widened as she thought he might take her right there on the stairs. She was a little shaken that she wouldn't have resisted.

"I'll... just freshen up and meet you there," she said a little breathily as she slipped past him to climb the stairs to her room.

He couldn't look away and her hips had an extra sway to them as she could feel his eyes on her.

When she walked out of sight, Kyle put out a hand and grabbed the stair's bannister to brace himself. His muscles were actually trembling slightly from the effort to resist his impulses. He immediately turned on his heel and walked out the front door and stopped when he was in the middle of the driveway. He took some deep breaths and calmed himself.

During the early days of their courtship, Gwen once called him a prude. It wasn't true. He'd just been inexperienced and she wanted him to do better.

While he'd been a virgin, she'd had an undisclosed number of sex partners before him. None had developed beyond a physical relationship but she'd learned what she liked and asked him to do those things too. Like an eager and obedient lover, he'd learned these skills and she'd been pleased with how quickly he'd mastered the techniques she showed him.

Their sex life was good and their relationship seemed solid so the thought of finding another partner to demonstrate his skills with never crossed his mind, much less three different women! Faced with his unexpected and atypical behavior now, he found himself admitting his old self was prudish by comparison.

He also had to admit, while he wasn't sure where the confidence was coming from, it wasn't unwelcome. These women were lovely, exciting people and he was enjoying his time with them as much as they were enjoying it. That wasn't wrong, was it? His moral compass was definitely moving much more freely in the past few days but again, who was it hurting? Besides his own perception of who he was, that is.

He heard the light crunch of gravel as someone approached him quickly.

He turned and jerked his head back to avoid Kimberly's slap. She tried again and he caught her wrist. Then the other as she snarled at him with tears in her eyes.

"What the hell is going on?" Kyle barked at her.

"You told him to leave me!?!" she raged as she struggled to free her hands to slap him.

Kyle sighed. David had delivered an edited version of his message. Coward.

"No, I didn't," Kyle asserted as he held her eyes. "If David told you that he was lying to take the easy way out."

"Easy way?!?" she gasped.

"Yes! He told me he wanted out of the marriage and was acting like a drunken jerk to make you want to leave him! I told him that if he loved you he should make it work. Otherwise, he should just be honest with you. It seems he's too much of a coward to do that. I'm so sorry for the pain he's put you through but I'm really not the cause of it."

Kimberly looked into his eyes as her mouth worked silently. She could see he was telling the truth. Her rage suddenly left her and with it her strength. She began to crumple to the ground so Kyle pulled her to his chest and she began to cry. He stood there in the middle of the driveway with the small woman coming apart at the seams. She wrapped her arms around him and sobbed against him. Kyle heard a car approaching and gently moved them to the grass as a taxi pulled up to the front door. He watched in surprise as David stepped from the front door with his suitcase in hand. The big man's face was filled with guilt and shame but he turned away and climbed into the back seat of the taxi.

Then he was gone.

"Come on, let's go inside," he said gently.

He walked her across the driveway and into the lobby.

"Did you want to join us for dinner tonight?" he asked.

"No... I can't face anyone," she leaned her face against his chest again and he rubbed her back. "I just want to lie down."

Kyle walked her up to her room and stopped outside of her door. "I'm really sorry this happened. You definitely deserve better." He sighed. "It's been a rough few days. Gwen left me to elope with the author. Fiona broke up with Alfred. Now this. Maybe tomorrow at breakfast we should pick Carl and Larissa's brains for clues on what keeps their relationship working," he said with a gentle smile and she cracked a weak smile for him.

"For me, cycling here has really lifted my spirits. Are you going to stay with the tour?" He caught her eye and he saw her make the decision right then. She nodded. "Ride with me tomorrow?" he asked.

Kimberly smiled with trembling lips and nodded to him again. He gave her another warm hug and she went into her room.

He went back to his room to quickly change his shirt as the one he had on was wet with Kimberly's tears. He changed into a black dress shirt and headed down to the dining room. He spotted Fiona who's face lit up when she saw him. He approached the table and she gestured to the chair opposite her. He slipped into it and gave her an apologetic smile.

"I was beginning to think you weren't coming," she said quietly.

"Sorry about the delay. David just left Kimberly. His taxi just picked him up."

"What?!?" Fiona gasped.

"Yeah, David wanted out of the marriage but was too much of a coward to just tell her the truth. So, he told her I told him to leave her. I managed to convince her that was another lie. She was pretty upset so I talked with her for a bit. She said she wasn't up to eating so she went to bed."

"I'm so sorry for her. David was a creep for doing this to her!" Fiona growled angrily.

"Yeah, he should have been honest with her from the start. I wish Gwen had been honest with me. Then it wouldn't feel like I've wasted so much time on her," he said with a sad look.

"Should we order a bottle of wine?" Fiona said to change the subject. She didn't want to talk about time lost. She was feeling particularly sensitive to that idea at the moment.

Kyle caught on pretty quickly and smiled at her. "Red or white?"

Fiona's smile widened as she appreciated his sensitivity. Albert had always been so dense when it came to picking up on the subtle social signals. She spotted a wine she liked on the menu and looked to him. "Red, if you don't mind?"

"Sounds good," he nodded.

Fiona caught the eye of the waiter and placed the order for the wine. They looked at the menu and both decided to stick with something light so they wouldn't feel too weighed down... later.

Skye was sitting a few tables away but was making faces at Kyle much to the annoyance of her mother. He finally shook his head at her and Fiona turned to see who he was gesturing too. That was enough to make the young woman mind her own business.

"She's a wild one," Fiona said, smiling knowingly at Kyle. He just nodded to her but kept his opinion to himself.

The wine arrived and was poured and Fiona did the honors of tasting it. She praised it as very good. Then they gave the waiter their order.

"So, our group is down to seven," Fiona said with a slight smile.

"Seven is a lucky number," he insisted.

"Will Kimberly stay with the tour?" she asked.

Kyle shrugged. "She said she would but she may have a change of heart. I told her the cycling was making me feel better so I hope she follows my lead."

"What's next for Kyle MacDenny back in Canada?" Fiona asked.

He smiled and thought about returning home. His smile faded as he realized he didn't really want to go back to the apartment he shared with Gwen. Too many memories there.

He raised his eyebrows in surprise. "I don't know. I think I'll need a new place to live."

"Gwen owns the house?" Fiona asked.

He shook his head. "We rented an apartment. It's under my name as I found it before I met Gwen. I just don't care for the idea of living there with all those memories. I think I need something new." He recalled his words to Dita and smiled. "I think I'm ready for a really big change. Maybe I'll move to France... find a new job and a place in a quaint village, like this one."

Fiona's eyes sparkled with mischief as she imagined a few things Kyle might do to 'earn his keep'. She suddenly thought of a most delicious idea. "Have you ever considered visiting Santa Barbara, California?"

Kyle's eyes locked on hers and she felt a spark jump through her body at the intensity of his gaze.

"What would I find there?" he asked casually, the corners of his mouth showing a hint of a smile.

Fiona was fantasizing about taking Kyle around the tennis club and the nightclubs to show him off to her friends. She squirmed a little on her seat as a tingle began between her legs and she felt her face warm up. Her eyes were drinking in his hard body.

Kyle picked up on these signals and saw the impression of Fiona's stiff nipples pressing against the tight fabric of her dress. His smile slowly grew. "Ah... I'm starting to see the appeal."

She glanced down, following his eyes, and a rush shot through her body. She wanted him so much, wanted to take him right there in the dining room but the waiter chose that moment to deliver their meals. She glanced over at Kyle as the waiter was placing the plate before him and his eyes were still on her. Fuck! She felt so hot and tingly.

Kyle thanked the waiter and they began to enjoy their meal.

After a short time, Fiona could no longer contain her curiosity. "So... would you consider a visit to Santa Barbara?"

He paused to take in her attempt to look nonchalant but he could see she really needed his answer. He decided then that he would see what California had to offer. He smiled to Fiona and nodded. Her face lit up with a broad excited grin.

Carl and Larissa nodded to them on their way out of the restaurant and Kyle watched them with a pensive expression.

"Something wrong?" she asked.

"Hmmm- oh! No. I was just wondering what magic ingredient the Burkettes have to maintain a marriage," he said with a sigh.

"Maybe they're just more compatible than my husband was with me and your fiancé was with you," she reasoned.

He nodded as he thought about that.

They finished up their meal and passed on the dessert.

"Are you two going to join us in the bar for drinks tonight?" Skye asked as she paused by their table on the way out of the restaurant. Helen stood behind her trying hard to show only casual interest.

Fiona found herself nodding as she wanted to maintain a friendship with the two women during the trip. Besides, she still had the rest of the night to enjoy Kyle.

He saw her nod and smiled at the two ladies waiting for them. He stood up and eased Fiona's chair back to help her to her feet.

"Such a gentleman!" she purred.

He grinned and offered his arm as they followed the Livingstons out.

The Burkettes were already in the bar enjoying a drink and music was playing. Two other couples were on the dance floor swaying to the tune.

"Would you like to dance?" Kyle whispered into Fiona's ear and a tingle ran down her neck.

She nodded to him with a smile and they moved to the dance floor as Helen and Skye joined Carl and Larissa.

Fiona slowly spun to face Kyle and he pulled her body to his as he took her hand in his. She gasped quietly as she felt the heat from his body.

"My, you feel very good!" she sighed as she moved against him.

"You feel wonderful too!" he returned with a smile.

They glided around the dance floor with the other couples and Fiona's face grew hotter as she felt his hard muscles pressing against her tits. She bit her lip and looked up through her bangs to see he was watching her with hungry eyes. This made her cling a little tighter to him which forced a small moan from her as her nipples tingled madly against him. She caught his smile when he heard her.

Too soon the song ended and they made their way to the table shared by their group.

"Where are David and Kimberly?" Larissa asked when they took seats next to them.

Fiona looked to Kyle who gestured for her to fill them in. She gave him a happy smile as she was hoping to be the one to share the story with the others.

Helen, Skye, Carl and Larissa leaned closer to Fiona who dished on the latest developments. Kyle didn't correct her little embellishments as none of them were truly mean spirited nor did they paint Kimberly in a bad light. If anything, Fiona made her out to be the tragic hero.

"I hope she continues with us. The cycling has been very therapeutic for me," Kyle added when Fiona was done. The blonde nodded enthusiastically.

A song began that Helen enjoyed so she reached across the table to tap Kyle's hand. He faced her.

"Would you dance with me?" she asked timidly.

"Of course!" he said with a smile and got up to guide her to the floor. He took her in his arms and they began to move. Helen looked thrilled.

Back at the table Skye leaned towards Fiona with a wicked smile on her lips. "Mum's got her eye on Kyle."

Fiona gave the young woman a predatory grin. "Tonight, he's mine. He offered me his upgraded room and I accepted as long as the upgrade included him."

Larissa's eyes were wide with surprise and Carl seemed to be frozen with his mouth open.

"Is he going to try to sleep with Larissa next?" Carl snapped angrily when his wits returned.

"CARL!" Larissa shrieked in embarrassment as her hands went to her face to hide her blush, the idea of being taken roughly by Kyle racing through her mind.

"What? He's had his way with this one and her mom! We saw him making out with Dita and now he's got his eyes on Fiona!" Carl's eyes widened as a thought came to him. "Kimberly no longer has a husband to protect her from him!"

Skye began to laugh loudly and Fiona watched her and Carl with a sly smile on her face.

When Skye got control of herself again she patted Carl's hand. "Kyle didn't come on to us! We seduced him!" She looked over at Fiona and picked up quickly that she'd done the same. "Fiona did as well!"

Carl still looked upset so Fiona tried to put his mind at ease. "Kyle isn't hunting for partners. Earlier tonight he watched you two leave the restaurant and said he wondered what your secret ingredient was for a happy marriage."

Larissa grinned at Fiona and reached out to take her husband's hand. "See, he's a good man!"

"Except for when he's being naughty!" Skye stage whispered to Fiona.

"Then he's even better!" Fiona chuckled wickedly and set Skye off too.

On the dance floor Helen was enjoying being within Kyle's arms. They moved effortlessly to the song and she really enjoyed feeling his hard muscles against her softer body. "You dance very well!" she purred.

"I'm just following your moves. You've had lessons? Danced professionally?" he asked curiously.

A soft smile made her eyes twinkle happily. "Lessons when I was a young girl."

He leaned in to pull her closer and whispered in her ear. "You dance beautifully!" He felt her tremble against him. "Please excuse me if I'm being too bold but I was wondering if you might share my room in the next chateau with me tomorrow night."

"Oh!" she gasped, her arms tightening around him as she pressed her softness against him more firmly. "Yes!" she said breathily.

He kissed her cheek as the song ended and they slowly parted. "Until tomorrow then."

She was smiling ear to ear as they made their way back to the table.

Fiona cast a knowing smile at the group and stood to take Kyle's hand. "It's getting late. Would it be ok with you if we retired to our room?"

She was being a little too explicit about their intentions which caused Kyle to blink in surprise and cautiously look to the others.

1...56789...15