You're Going to Lose That Girl

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, shit! I'm so embarrassed," Rachel sobbed. "I'm not gay or anything. I just don't like men very much right now. I don't trust them. Those jackasses think that because I don't date, I must be gay."

Hick silently gathered Rachel into his arms and held her while she sobbed into his chest. The girls on the team watched in fascination.

"Girls, I hope you learn from this," Hick lectured as he gently rubbed Rachel's back. "Words have meaning and are important. Never say something to intentionally hurt someone because they're different than you. Respect the difference and their freedom to be who they are."

Hick looked to see how the parents were reacting to the scene. He was concerned they would think he and Rachel were too broken to be around their kids. He saw nods of approval from several parents watching and felt relieved. They seemed to understand.

"Hi. I'm Tanya Richards," a young woman stated who seemed to suddenly appear. "I hope I'm not interrupting something special here, but my roommate told me there were some girls on the team who may want some pointers in pitching a softball."

Rachel forced herself to calm down. She pulled away from Hick and wiped her eyes before smiling at the young woman.

"It was just a little personal drama. Thanks for coming. Girls, this is Tanya. She's State's best softball pitcher and she came here today to help teach you the basics of pitching. Please make her feel welcome."

Rachel was pleased at how well Tanya worked with the girls. She also noticed that Tanya seemed quite taken with Hick. She was constantly asking him questions and making suggestions. The fact that she was a very attractive blonde with a killer body didn't appear to upset Hick in the least.

Rachel knew she had no interest in Hick, yet it irked her to see Tanya flirt with him so obviously. Rachel wondered if she had made a mistake when Tanya promised the girls to come to some of their games and to work with them at future practices.

"We had a pitcher from State's softball team come to practice today," Amanda revealed as she ate dinner with her mother. "Her name is Tanya and she's real pretty. I think she made Rachel jealous."

"Really? I thought Rachel didn't like Hick. Why would Rachel be jealous?" Jen asked, curious about how Amanda would explain it.

"Really, Mom?" replied Amanda with a roll of her eyes. "Hick is like super good looking. He's real buff and he's a nice guy. Rachel keeps yelling at him and complaining, but she knows how hot he is. Beth thinks she's just playing hard to get, but Liz thinks Rachel really does hate Hick."

"What do you think?" Jen asked.

"Rachel's acting like a witch to him, so I think he might date Tanya. She made it pretty plain that she liked him," Amanda stated before biting into her steak.

Later that evening, Jen called her friend, June Bailey. "Amanda tells me that Rachel is still pretty cold to Hick. I don't know how she can keep from throwing herself at him. He's very handsome and a true gentleman."

"I know," June agreed. "He actually backed Trey when some bullies tried to start a fight with him at The Rusty Spoon last Saturday. Trey said they left pretty fast when Hick told them to deal him into the fray.

"Her sisters think I should invite him to Sunday dinner, but Rachel swore she wouldn't come if he was there. I'm calling him tomorrow. It isn't always about her. Everyone wants to thank Hick for coming to Trey's defense."

Hick was surprised when June Bailey called him the next afternoon. He was more surprised when she invited him to Sunday dinner.

"Mrs. Bailey, I'm not exactly Rachel's favorite person. She flat out told me to stay away from her family, so I don't think it would be a good idea."

"Rachel doesn't make our family decisions," June replied firmly. "Her sisters and their husbands want to meet the guy who helped Trey out Saturday at the diner. Gerald, my husband, would like to thank you, too. I won't take 'no' for an answer."

"Okay, I'll be there, but Rachel won't be happy. Blood may fly," Hick warned.

"So it was you who helped Trey!" June exclaimed. "I was pretending I knew it was you, but I wasn't sure. Now I am. We're in your debt. If those three tough guys didn't scare you, I don't think Rachel can do much damage. We'll see you Sunday!"

The team had its first game Wednesday. The girls played pretty well considering how little practice they had, but dropped the game 6-0. The girls moped back to the bench after congratulating the winners.

That was when a pizza delivery guy approached them with a stack of pizza boxes. "I have six pizzas here for The Cardinals. Are you ladies Cardinals?"

Hick chuckled as at least a dozen girls enthusiastically responded in the positive. The guy placed the pizzas on the bench and then looked around. "Is the other team The Blue Jays? I have pizza for them, too."

The girls were quite surprised when the man said he also had pizzas for the other team, but not nearly as surprised as the other team and its coaches. Once they were told that the pizzas were courtesy of The Cardinals, the coaches had the girls call out a cheer for The Cardinals.

The girls were soon chatting with each other and their parents as they devoured the pizza. The conversation was about how glad they were to have Hick as their coach.

"See what a cool coach we have? He even bought pizzas for the other team!" Beth exclaimed to her mother.

"Girls! Don't give me all the credit here. Rachel was involved in this, so be sure to thank her as well," Hick declared as Rachel struggled to conceal her surprise.

"Sorry, Coach Rachel," apologized Beth. "You're the best two coaches in the league. Thanks!"

The rest of the players and many of the parents chimed in expressing their appreciation for the generosity of the coaches. Rachel and Hick both smiled and thanked the girls for working so hard and making the game so much fun.

"How much do I owe you?" Rachel demanded once she was alone with Hick as they loaded the equipment. "Don't ever do something like that again. I can't afford to buy a dozen pizzas every game and I seriously doubt you can either."

"You don't owe me anything. I did it for the girls. I wanted you to share in the pleasure and credit. You've worked hard to help the team. Just smile at the girls and be gracious," Hick replied as he tossed softballs into a canvas bag. "A few pizzas won't break me."

Rachel studied Hick's face to determine if he was serious. He had just spent nearly two hundred dollars on the girls. She had even seen him tip the delivery guy two twenty-dollar bills. How could he afford it? As far as anyone knew, he was unemployed. Rachel realized she knew very little about the man and it might be worth the effort to find out more.

At the Friday night game, Hick saw progress in his players. He surprised everyone when he stopped the game in the third inning to have Cynthia Porter pinch hit for Amanda. The bases were loaded with two outs. Cynthia was a shy, slightly overweight girl. She was slow footed, so Hick had played her at first base in their previous game. He had promised all the girls they would never sit more than half a game.

Amanda had shown some improvement with a bat, so parents and players wondered why Hick would seemingly risk the outcome of the game to put Cynthia in. He briefly led her off to the side and spoke quietly to the girl.

"I want you to swing hard at the first three pitches. The coach just put in their best pitcher. She throws strikes, so just start your swing as she begins her pitch. Today we're having ice cream after the game. No matter what happens, you get to be first in line."

Hick hoped that talking about ice cream after the game would help the girl realize that he wouldn't be upset as long as she tried her hardest.

True to form, the new pitcher sent a BB right down the middle of the plate on the first pitch. No one was more surprised than Hick when Cynthia connected solidly. The ball jumped off the bat and rocketed over the first baseman's head. By the time the right fielder retrieved the ball and got it back to the infield, Cynthia was standing on second and all three base runners had crossed the plate.

She beamed as her teammates, joined my most of the parents, cheered and yelled their approval. That was their last score as the new pitcher shut the team down afterward. The final score was 4-3 with The Cardinals on the short end, but the girls were pleased with their performance.

"They were the best team last year and we only lost by one run!" Beth exclaimed between gulps of soft ice cream. "Did you see how hard Cynthia hit that ball? The first baseman was lucky she didn't get hit by it."

The girls were happily chatting at the local ice cream parlor when Hick noticed a tall athletic looking guy approach Rachel and hug her. He was upset with himself at how much that simple act bothered him.

"That's Lance Banks," whispered a voice in Hick's ear. He was surprised to find June Bailey standing close behind him. Apparently, she had seen where he was looking.

"He was several years ahead of Rachel in school. He's in his last year of law school now. He was the team quarterback in high school," she continued. "They dated a few times but never seemed to click. I don't think you have to worry about him."

"By that, do you mean..."

"He won't be able to take her away from you if you play your cards right," June assured. "Just be your charming self at dinner Sunday. Her sisters will be singing your praises. She'll come around."

"You're assuming that I'm interested in Rachel," Hick stated, rather than asking.

"Am I wrong?" June quipped with a sly smile.

Hick had closed on the estate shortly before Friday's softball game. He spent Saturday morning cleaning the small cabin. He planned on living in it while he had the old Victorian restored and modernized.

He had worked his contacts at the local dinner to find a reputable master carpenter as well as other dependable tradesmen and vendors. They were scheduled to begin work on Monday morning. Saturday afternoon, Hick decided to remove rotted boards from a wooden fence that lined the property.

It was a hot day and Hick was working without a shirt when a car pulled to a stop on the road near him.

"We heard this property has been sold," a pretty girl in the front passenger seat stated. "Could you tell us who bought it? Are you the owner?"

"Fat chance of that!" was a sarcastic retort from the rear of the car. "Hick probably still owes money on that twenty-year-old truck."

Hick quickly identified Rachel by her voice, as well as her sarcasm. It was apparent she enjoyed putting him down in front of her friends.

Rachel had been surprised to see Hick working on the decrepit fence on the old Higgins estate. As they approached him along the road, her friends had begun raving about his good looks and rugged physique.

"You know this guy, Rachel?" the girl in the front passenger seat demanded. "Why don't you introduce us? I'm Heather."

Without waiting for Rachel to say something, she had quickly climbed out of the car and offered Hick her hand. "You certainly are working hard. Would you like some water? Maybe a soda?"

Rachel exited the car and tried to gain control of her exuberant friend. "He's working, Heather. You can't flirt with every man you see, especially when they're trying to earn a living. Let's get going."

"He seems willing enough to relax for a few minutes," Heather responded. "Where and when did you meet this guy, and why haven't you mentioned him? Are you two dating?"

"We're coaching a girls' softball team together, which I did mention to you," Rachel replied. "I'm sorry Hick, but we have an appointment. We have to leave now, Heather!"

Rachel managed to herd Heather back into the car. They went to a restaurant where her friends spent the better part of the meal raving about Hick. Rachel had to admit that he was good looking, even if he seemed to lack any desire to get ahead.

June didn't try to conceal her annoyance Sunday morning when Rachel informed her that she had invited Lance to dinner as her guest. "Hick is coming for dinner! Why would you muddy the waters by inviting Lance?"

"There are no waters to muddy, Mom. I am not going to date Hick, ever. Lance has a good future. He's charming and good looking. You should be glad I'm interested in him," Rachel insisted.

"You invited Lance simply to make Hick uncomfortable at dinner. You're using Lance to embarrass Hick. This is not your best moment, Rachel."

"You're the one who insisted on inviting Hick in an attempt to embarrass me, Mother. When everyone sees Lance and him sitting at the same table, they won't be so impressed with Hick. That's really what bothers you. Besides, I'm not dating Hick, so there's no reason for him to be embarrassed or annoyed."

June was irked at Rachel's actions, but realized she was right. It wasn't June's place to promote Hick, or any other man, to Rachel. She just hoped things would not be too uncomfortable at dinner.

Rachel's sisters began grilling Hick as soon as he arrived. "Where do you live and what do you do? Does that small spiral tattoo on your hand represent anything?" were the first questions out of Christine after she greeted Hick.

"I'm staying, temporarily at least, in the small cabin on the old Higgins estate. The new owner is letting me live there in exchange for my labor in repairing whatever needs it," Hick responded. "The tattoo's the result of a dare from my cousin the summer we graduated from high school."

"Who's the owner of that property where you live?" Candace questioned. "That was a beautiful place when we were little. It looks kind of rundown now."

"It's owned by a company or a corporation, or something like that," he answered vaguely. "They've already hired people to remodel and restore the house. It won't be anything too drastic; mostly modernization, especially of the kitchen and bathrooms."

"I wonder if there's any connection between the Higgins property selling and the sale of L&H Manufacturing?" Christine's husband mused. "I heard they sold out. Everyone's wondering if it's going to continue operating, or if it'll be sold off in pieces. The machinery and property are worth more than the actual business, or so I've heard."

"That would be a huge blow to the area's economy," Rachel's dad, Gerald, observed. "There are at least a hundred and fifty people employed there. That's a lot of jobs for a small community like ours."

"Rachel and I are two of the employees," Christine explained to Hick. "They're helping Rachel go to night school at State. I'm an accountant. It was my first job and I'm still there after four years. I'd hate to have to look for a new job. It isn't a bad place to work, except they're falling behind the times. The equipment is getting older and needs to be modernized if we're going to compete with the bigger companies."

The conversation swung to other topics. Eventually, Rachel's sisters stopped questioning Hick. Rachel couldn't help but notice how they seemed to hang on his every word, as well as how they laughed too hard at his jokes.

Long before the dessert was served, June was chuckling to herself at how badly Rachel's ploy had backfired. Hick had arrived at the same time as Lance and the two men quickly became comfortable with each other.

As dinner had progressed, it had become obvious to June that Rachel's sisters and their husbands were enjoying Hick's company. To top that off, Lance seemed to be completely at ease with the situation. The two men discussed sports, travel experiences and just about everything else. They shared several funny anecdotes with the group. Lance Finally asked Hick how he came to coach the girls' softball team with Rachel.

"I was arrested for indecent exposure the first day I drove into Warren County. The deputy insisted I pull up my shorts and get into the cruiser immediately for a ride to court. Rachel was the only other defendant in the courtroom. Judge Stanford offered us community service in lieu of jail time, or in Rachel's case, losing her driving privileges."

"Indecent exposure?" Lance asked with obvious surprise. "That's a pretty serious charge, yet you're invited here to dinner and you're coaching teen girls. There must be more to the story."

"I had just finished changing a lady's flat tire in a downpour, and I was soaked to the bone. The rain stopped, so I decided to get out of my wet clothes and put on a pair of board shorts rather than get my truck seat wet. I opened the front and back doors on the passenger side of my truck to shield me from view and quickly stripped off my wet clothes. As I was stepping into a dry pair of board shorts, I was arrested by Deputy Connors for indecent exposure."

Everyone was listening intently as Hick told his tale. "It turned out Judge Stanford was the lady with the flat tire who I had just helped. I can't prove it, but judging from the conversations I heard, the judge told the deputy to pick me up on some trumped-up traffic charge. Officer Connors adlibbed and nabbed me for indecent exposure. I'm pretty sure it was a setup to find coaches for the Judge's daughter's team."

"That's illegal as hell," declared Lance. "You could win a big lawsuit if you're right about that."

"There's no record of any of it, I'm sure," Hick replied with a grin. "Besides, I'm really enjoying the kids, as well as meeting their parents and other members of the community. I almost forgot to mention that Rachel asked the judge since I was such a deviant, what she should do if I tried to spank the monkey at practice."

"Sis! You asked Aunt Jen that?" Christine marveled as everyone at the table erupted into laughter.

"Hick makes it sound bad, but I only said it after the court warned him to not choke the chicken or make the bald man cry when he was around the girls," Rachel revealed to even louder laughter. "I almost forgot! Aunt Jen also warned him about wrestling the eel!"

By that time, Rachel's sisters had tears running down their cheeks from laughing so hard. June was almost as bad, while her husband tried to keep a straight face.

"Hick, have you been able to avoid interacting with the eel, the chicken, the monkey and the bald man?" Christine asked with a big grin.

"I have, at least when I'm around the girls," Hick responded with a straight face. His response caused another round of laughter.

Once the dessert was finished, Lance stood and thanked his hosts. "Rachel and I are going to take in that new science fiction movie, so we have to get going. I had a great time. It was good to see everyone again, and to meet you, Hick. We need to get together for a round of golf and a couple beers sometime."

Once Rachel and Lance left, everyone moved to the living room and chatted for another hour before Hick bid them goodnight. As soon as they saw Hick's truck start down the driveway, Rachel's sisters began raving about him.

"Mom, is that guy for real? How can Rachel resist him?" Christine asked. "He's handsome as hell, funny, smart and charming. Lance is an okay guy, but Hick is amazing."

"He really was well versed on a variety of subjects," Christine's husband observed. "Hell, even Lance liked him. Instead of making Hick uncomfortable, it looked like they struck up a bro-mance."

"That's what I've been telling Rachel," June agreed. "She thinks he's some kind of loser because of his name and the truck he drives. It's quite apparent he's educated and very capable."

As Rachel sat next to Lance at the movie, she couldn't stop thinking about Hick. It had been extremely obvious that her entire family enjoyed Hick. He had been funny, personable, and modest. Her sisters couldn't stop looking at him and their husbands seemed to genuinely like him. Even Lance spoke well of Hick on the ride to the theater. What was it about Hick that she didn't like? Rachel pondered that question as she sat through a movie she didn't actually watch.