You're Going to Lose That Girl

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As the softball season went along, Hick and Rachel noticed a real improvement in the girls' skills. In their third week of play, the girls won their first game. They were jubilant; although Hick made sure they demonstrated good sportsmanship toward the losers. By the end of the season, the team had a 4 and 10 record, with two of the loses by just a single run.

It was a warm summer day when the girls, along with parent chaperones, boarded a chartered bus for the two-hour trip to a water park. Once they hit the park, the girls took off in small groups, each with at least one chaperone. Hick found himself standing alone as he watched the girls disappear into the park.

He decided to take advantage of the situation and stroll around the park. He immediately saw numerous attractive women in swim suits. He realized it was going to be a good day, since he had seen many of them before he had even left the parking lot.

Hick happened on several of the girls on the team waiting in line at a long water slide. He decided to hang out and see how the girls enjoyed their ride. As he stood there, several college age girls in bikinis stopped near him. Soon they were engaging him in conversation. Hick was no stranger to the age-old art of seduction, but while the young women were attractive, it was obvious they had been drinking. He had no interest in hooking up with a woman whose judgment might be impaired, regardless of how attractive she might be.

"There you are, Hick! I've been looking for you," Rachel proclaimed as she walked past the three women and took his arm in hers. "You promised to do this ride with me, so let's get in line."

Hick was initially surprised at Rachel's actions, but quickly realized she was simply saving him from the trouble of trying to extricate himself from the overfriendly girls. As soon as they reached the line for the ride, Hick thanked her.

"I owe you for getting me away from those girls. They were three sheets in the wind and pretty aggressive. I really appreciate it. You don't have to go on the ride with me if you don't want. I see that they've just left for greener pastures."

"That's not very flattering," Rachel replied. "Would you go on this ride with me? I hate going alone."

"Of course. I'd love it. I just thought you might not want to be around me, and certainly not be seen having fun with me," Hick reasoned.

"One ride shouldn't destroy what little reputation I have left. Being seen with a good-looking guy really can't be too bad."

Hick looked closely at Rachel as she spoke. She seemed to be complimenting him, which would be a first. He studied her face until she became uncomfortable.

"Why are you looking at me like? Did I do something wrong? If you don't want to go on the ride with me, just say so."

"I was just marveling at how beautiful you are," Hick replied earnestly. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable."

"Oh! I didn't expect that," Rachel admitted with a blush. "In that case, you can stare all you want."

Rachel had been giving Hick a great deal of thought. She realized she had been reluctant to become friendly with him for two reasons. The first was that he reminded her of Tim Barnes, and he was one person she wanted to forget.

The other reason was he was always so vague about details of his childhood, family and career. She had seen enough to know he was much more than a handyman working for his keep.

She realized that avoiding Hick would not allow her to learn more about him, and even though he reminded her of Tim, he seemed far more mature and respectful than Tim had been. She hated to admit it, even to herself, but she was attracted to Hick. She just hoped he didn't turn out to be another disaster.

Rachel enjoyed standing in line with Hick and chatting with him. She clutched his hand while they were on the ride and he seemed fine with it. Once the ride ended, two of the girls from the team suddenly appeared. They insisted Rachel go with them on a different ride. Once again, Hick was left to his own devices so he casually wandered around the park, taking in the sights, mostly of scantily clad women.

An hour or so later, Hick saw Rachel climb out of one of the pools. Beth and Amanda had been with her, but they quickly joined up with two other girls from the team and headed for the next ride.

As he watched, Hick saw two young men move close to Rachel and attempt conversation. She was in a fairly modest bikini, but her figure was an eye-catcher. It seemed to Hick the guys were being a little too aggressive with their attentions and Rachel was looking for a way to remove herself from their company. He decided to move closer and offer Rachel an excuse to get away from her admirers.

Rachel's eyes lit up when she saw him headed toward her. "Hick! I've been wondering where you were. How about taking me for that burger you promised?"

As she spoke, Rachel stepped between the two guys and hugged Hick. "Get me away from those two, please," she whispered softly into Hick's ear.

Hick threw his arm over Rachel's shoulder and began leading her away. He felt a thrill as his hands came in contact with Rachel's bare skin. Girls hadn't affected him like that since high school, but there was no denying how he enjoyed having his arm around Rachel.

They spent the rest of the day together. On their way to the bus to leave for home, Rachel stopped Hick as they were leisurely walking and stepped closer. Hick would have to been deaf, dumb and blind to not realize that Rachel expected him to kiss her, so he did exactly that.

Their lips only touched for seconds. Hick decided he wanted more and pulled Rachel closer and kissed her again. Rachel offered no resistance as her arms found their way around his neck.

"Look at our coaches!" Beth shouted from somewhere nearby. "They acted like they hated each other, but they're kissing!"

Rachel broke the kiss and pulled away from Hick. She was flushed as she flashed a huge smile to the girls.

"We never hated each other," she explained. "We just didn't know each other very well. We're getting along better now."

"Is Coach Rachel your girlfriend?" Amanda asked.

"If it were up to me, she would be," Hick replied as he searched Rachel's face for any indication she might agree.

"We're just friends for now, Amanda," the still smiling Rachel responded. "We need to know each other better before we commit to any sort of relationship."

"Isn't that what dating is for?" Beth asked. "You learn about each other when you date?"

"Well, since you put it that way, it is why people date. I'm just not ready to be anyone's girlfriend and Hick needs to know more about me before he even considers being my boyfriend. We're just friends for now."

Hick was slightly disappointed with Rachel's response to the girls' questions, but soon forgot about it when Rachel sat next to him as the bus pulled out of the parking lot.

"There are a few things you need to know about me, Hick," Rachel stated. "When I was in the Marines, I met a guy. I thought I was in love with him. This isn't easy to tell, but I'm trying to be as honest as possible here.

"He was a Marine, too. We dated for about six months before I slept with him. I thought he loved me as much as I loved him. I was wrong. He had made a bet with some buddies that he could get me into bed. Once he did, he showed them a few pictures he had taken of me in bed without my knowledge or consent. Then he dumped me. The last two years of my enlistment were hell. Everywhere I went, people knew I was the slut who slept with Tim Barnes. He was treated like a hero, but I was a round-heeled slut. Funny how that works.

"I had intended to make the Marines a career, but once that happened, I couldn't get out fast enough," Rachel admitted. "So you see, I'm not the nice girl you might think I am. I'm not very trusting of men and I won't be having sex with you. You may want to find someone else."

"I'm sorry you had that experience, but not all men are like that asshole," Hick insisted. "You really are a nice girl. No reasonable man would expect you to be a virgin. We don't have to have sex to enjoy each other's company. I'd like to be your friend and see if we connect."

"We can try that, but I know what all men want. You're obviously all man, so I doubt you'll be content with an occasional kiss for very long," Rachel reasoned.

"Truthfully? I think I can hold off as long as you can," Hick replied carefully. "You're a beautiful young woman. You won't be content with that occasional kiss any longer than I will. If everything else clicks, we'll know when the time is right."

"Just don't get your hopes up," Rachel responded. "I've no intention of repeating the mistake I made with that jerk."

When Rachel walked into her parents' house shortly after 9 PM, she was surprised to see her two sisters chatting with their mom. All three turned to her with big grins on their faces.

"Tell us all about it," June insisted. "What did you talk about? How did he get you to kiss him?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Rachel replied with a straight face.

"Jen sent me a picture Amanda took of you and Hick. It looks like you're getting along with him quite well," June added.

Rachel looked at her mom and sisters and realized they were not being cruel. Rather, they were honestly interested in her possible romance. That allowed her to relax and break into a smile.

"He had some drunk girls trying to get into his shorts, so I rescued him from that situation. An hour or so later, a couple of players had me cornered when Hick showed up and whisked me away. We spent the rest of the day together."

"He must like you if he was happy that you pried him away from some girls trying to get into his shorts," a laughing Christine observed. "Did you kiss him first?"

"We were walking back to the bus and I realized if I didn't do something soon, nothing would ever happen, at least not tonight. We're the coaches and chaperones for the trip, so we couldn't set a bad example by necking on the bus. I just stopped walking and turned toward him.

"He got the hint real quick and kissed me. Then he pulled me closer and really kissed me!" Rachel added. "He's very good."

"Well, duh!" Christine retorted. "The guy's a walking wet dream. Did he ask you out? Did he try to get you to go back to his place for some personal time?"

"No, he was a complete gentleman," Rachel replied. "He kept his hands to himself and never so much as suggested we go to his place. I had already told him about Tim Barnes and how we wouldn't be having sex."

"You told him that?" Candace marveled. "That sounds a bit restrictive for a red-blooded man interested in a beautiful woman. How did he take it?"

"He was fine, although he indicated he thought I might change my mind and weaken before he did. Do you think he's egotistical?"

"I think he's a normal guy," Candace replied with a chuckle. "I wouldn't want to bet against his chances. He's really good looking and his personality isn't bad either."

Rachel's phone vibrated. She picked it up and quickly broke into a smile. "Hello, Hick. Did you miss me already?

"...Sure, I'd be glad to go to dinner with you. I love Italian food so that'll work fine. I'll be ready by seven."

"Tell Hick he's invited here for dinner on Sunday. He can come any time after three," June interrupted.

"You heard her?" Rachel asked. "Yeah, I was telling Mom and my sisters about my day. They'd already seen a picture that Amanda took. You were taking advantage of me. Now they think I like you. I'll tell Mom you're coming Sunday. See you tomorrow night."

"Sis, Hick really likes you," Christine stated as she pointed out the obvious. "He called you for a date pretty quick. It's so nice to see you with a good guy."

"I just hope he's for real," Rachel replied. "I don't know if I could survive another ordeal like Tim Barnes put me through. I told Hick about it. He said it would be unreasonable to expect me to be a virgin. He doesn't seem to feel that I'm a loose woman."

"One lover does not a loose woman make," Candace declared. "You're twenty-five years old. A lot of women your age have had a dozens of hook-ups. I'm sure a guy as good looking as Hick has had a few willing women in his bed."

"I wish you hadn't mentioned that," groaned Rachel. "He's probably an expert. He'll think I'm pathetic."

"I hope you're talking about your honeymoon," June stated with a straight face.

"I didn't mean I was going to sleep with him anytime soon, Mom," Rachel explained. "I was just saying that if I ever did, he'd know what an inexperienced lover I am. He'd..."

"Love you all the more for it," June finished. "He isn't asking you out for sex. I'm sure it's occurred to him, but he's interested in you, Sweetheart. He wants to know more about you. He likes what he's seen so far. That's obvious. Sex isn't a contest. He's a very considerate man. I'm sure he'll be patient and gentle. Just don't rush it."

"Wow, Mom! You've given this some thought," Christine said with a laugh. "You really like the guy, don't you?"

"I approve of Rachel dating him, if that's what you're asking," June responded. "Everything he's done so far has been appropriate for a man looking for a wife. He's courteous to your father and me. He and Trey get along fine and he likes you girls and your husbands. He checks all the boxes for me as a mother-in-law."

"Mom! We're going on our first date. It doesn't mean we'll be getting married in a couple of weeks," Rachel insisted.

"Rachel, you and Hick have been dating since the day you met," June replied with a smile. "Maybe they weren't official dates, but you've been doing things together for a couple months. He's infatuated with you and it's pretty obvious you're very fond of him."

"You think he's infatuated with me? Why do you think that?" Rachel quizzed.

"Go fishing much, Sis?" Candace asked jokingly. "I'm giving Christine a ride home and it's time for us to go. We can't hang around and listen to the hundred ways Hick loves Rachel."

Rachel wound up going out with Hick three times that week. They often ran into people Rachel knew from school and work, and Rachel was always proud to be seen with him. All her girlfriends thought she had found a winner.

Sunday before going to her parents' house for dinner, Hick drove Rachel out to the small cabin on his estate. It only took a few minutes for him to show her the entire place.

"It's a charming cabin, but why are you showing it to me? You don't expect me to sleep here, or move in with you, do you?" Rachel asked. "I like you but I'm not ready for any big commitment. Besides, you keep telling me you have a job lined up, but so far you haven't done anything but work on this property. You don't plan on making a living as a caretaker, do you?"

"Walk with me up to the big house. I want to show you the property," Hick replied with an enigmatic smile.

Rachel loved the property. She raved about the stables and the tennis court, but was suddenly silent when she looked at the pool. It had been totally remodeled with new tile and furniture.

"This is beautiful! The pool is huge and so private. The owners are going to be very happy here."

"Rachel, I'm the owner," Hick stated succinctly.

He waited as Rachel stared at him while she tried to determine if he was serious or making a joke. She finally came to a conclusion.

"You're serious, aren't you?"

"I am. I know we're just beginning to date, but you've expressed doubts about my ability to care for you, my lack of planning for the future. I respect that and understand why it matters to you. Security is very important, especially to women. I can afford to live here and support a family. I wanted you to know that."

"I heard this sold for over two million. Where did you get that kind of money?" Rachel asked fairly calmly as she gazed at her surroundings with greater appreciation.

"I'm a trust fund kid. When I turned 26 this spring, it was turned over to me. The old truck I drive was my grandfather's. I was given the keys to it the same day as the trust fund became mine."

"You don't act like you're rich. If anything, you seem pretty unconcerned about money. Is that because you have so much?"

"My father and grandfather made me work growing up. I was given an allowance as long as I did my chores. In high school, Dad had me get a job stocking shelves. He wasn't mean. He just wanted me to understand that working was important and honorable. He was afraid I'd become one of those worthless trust fund babies you always hear about.

"I like working. I studied business in college because I knew I was going to be handling large sums of money and needed to understand my limits and responsibilities. I bought this property because I want to live and raise a family here. I thought my future wife and kids would enjoy it," Hick concluded.

"The wife and kids?" Rachel repeated as she arched her eyebrows in a question.

"I don't have any of those things, at the moment, but I expect to. This is where we'll live. Let me show you the house," Hick offered.

Rachel mulled over Hick's comment as she walked with him to the home. Once inside, she quickly forgot about it as she marveled at the refurbished home.

"I still have to get furniture, appliances, flooring and have every room painted, but you can get the general idea. The construction phase should be done within a week or two and then the decorating and painting begin."

"You've done an amazing job," Rachel praised as she looked around. "Increasing the size and number of bathrooms was a great idea. It's going to be perfect. Is it okay if I tell everyone about your property? Can I take some pictures with my phone to show my family?"

"Sure. One of the things I like the most about you is how close you are to your family. That tells me a lot about the kind of person you are."

Rachel studied his face as she considered his remark. For some reason, she felt a warm glow. He really was a far different man than Tim Barnes, and far better.

As Rachel passed the potatoes to her sister at their Sunday dinner, she quietly stated, "Hick was showing me his property today. It's really going to be local attraction. It's got everything."

Christine swung her full attention to Rachel. "Are you talking about the cute little cabin Hick lives in on the old Higgins estate?"

"Well, yes, at least partly. Hick's the person who bought the estate. He's having the house remodeled. It really is quite beautiful. The swimming pool is already refurbished."

Conversation suddenly stopped as Rachel's family considered what they had just been told. Rachel grinned when she saw Christine and Candace exchange glances.

June was the first to speak. "You bought the Higgins estate? I heard it sold for over two million dollars. Did you really buy it?"

"I fell in love with it the first time the realtor showed it to me. I made my offer the same day. It's taking some time, but everything is looking good so far," Hick responded.

"Let me get this straight," Christine insisted. "You're great looking, a really nice guy, good with kids, and you're wealthy?"

"It sounds like you approve of my boyfriend," Rachel observed dryly.

"Now he's your boyfriend?" Candace demanded. "I thought you were filled with misgivings and doubt. It sounds like you've come around."

"I have," Rachel admitted. "I like Hick. I like doing things with him. He always treats me with respect. Can't a girl change her mind?"

"Hell, yes," Christine's husband chimed in. "That's a woman's prerogative. We all know that."

Hick answered questions about his plans for the property for the rest of the dinner. Rachel delighted in showing everyone the pictures she had taken. Hick appreciated the interest shown by the family and even picked up some good suggestions on how to make the property even more attractive and functional.