You're Going to Lose That Girl

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Really, Aunt Jen?" Rachel asked as many of those in attendance groaned at Jen's remarks. "Is everything funny to you? If Mr. Wade is up to it, we'll conduct a marathon negotiating session tonight."

Once again, groans filled the room. Undaunted, Rachel continued, "By morning, we should know exactly where we stand."

"That's if he's even able to stand," someone called from the back of the room, causing many to break into laughter.

Rachel smiled at the comment. She felt empowered. Hick was obviously a very wealthy, handsome man who had publicly declared his desire for her. He wanted her to marry him and the idea was far from repulsive.

Unlike the tawdry seduction and betrayal she had experienced with Tim Barnes; she was being now the person in control. She wasn't some mousy victim, but rather a strong, worldly woman pursuing her goals. Rachel actually felt proud that her family and coworkers had witnessed her willingness to take Hick on and even dictate the terms of their engagement, however brief that may be.

"Do I understand this correctly?" Hick asked as his eyes remained locked on Rachel's. "You're proposing we have an early dinner and then retire to the best available room in this fine establishment for a marathon negotiating session?"

"I suppose you could call it that," Rachel replied with a big smile. "We won't leave the room until we're both completely satisfied."

"How will the rest of us know if you two managed to attain Nirvana while saving our jobs in the process?" Rachel's sister, Christine, asked. "We all have a lot riding on your midnight ride."

"Let's have breakfast at The Rusty Spoon around nine tomorrow morning," Rachel suggested. "I expect to have good news for everyone. After breakfast, we'll go out to the Higgins house. We need to decide on, and order appliances, furniture, window treatments, flooring and paint colors.

"I'd expect to have Hick's credit cards by then, so we can start shopping. We'll also have wedding arrangements to make, at least if Hick is as a good a negotiator as I hope he is. We're going to be very busy."

"I sure hope you have a platinum credit card," Brett Wade remarked to his beaming cousin.

June had managed to move close to Rachel and spoke so only her daughter could hear her. "You don't have to marry him, Sweetheart. Don't be pushed into something you don't want to do, regardless of who may benefit from it."

"Thanks, Mom," Rachel responded as she swept her mother into a hug. "I want this. I made a terrible mistake thinking Hick was a cheater. I'm just lucky I have the chance to correct it. Don't worry about me. You know Hick would never hurt me."

Rachel released her mother as Hick approached. He moved close to Rachel and she responded by throwing herself into his arms and kissing him passionately as other employees broke into applause.

June, Christine and Candace found The Rusty Spoon extremely crowded the next morning. They could not help but notice that many of the patrons were employees of H & K Manufacturing. The women were greeted warmly by the waitress and shown to a larger table in the center of the room.

I few minutes before nine, Hick and Rachel entered to building and all sound suddenly stopped. One look at Rachel's beaming face was all her mother needed to see. She had been concerned her daughter might have been a bit impulsive, but it was readily apparent that Rachel was a very contented woman.

Rachel and Hick realized they were the center of attention. Rachel flashed a big smile before announcing, "I'm sure you're all dying to know the outcome of last night's intense negotiations between Mr. Wade and me. We had to revisit a few key issues several times, but we've managed to reach full agreement.

"H & K Manufacturing will not only remain in business, but it will be modernized and expanded. There will be onsite daycare and a raise in wages. Employees will continue to receive their usual pay as the modernization and renovations are carried out. There will be extensive training on all new equipment. Paid maternity leave will be known as Paid Parental Leave and will be available to new mothers and/or fathers for six months. In addition to other new perks, the day after the Super Bowl will now be a paid holiday."

"Thanks for the paid holiday after the Super Bowl!" Elmer Jackson exclaimed. "What did you have to do for it?"

"Don't ever ask about that again," Rachel warned as she clutched Hick's arm tightly and moved with him toward her family's table. The entire restaurant filled with laughter.