Let Go

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Marsha had cooked breakfast and they sat down to eat as any family in suburbia would. Ari insisted on a kiss goodbye, and they also kissed Marsha on the cheek, not wanting to leave her out. Marsha had a driver's license so she took Beverly's car and dropped Dave off so they didn't have to swap the car seat. Beverly drove Dave's truck to work.

Jen burst into the office three minutes after Beverly was seated. "Does that truck belong to who I think it does?"

She couldn't help grinning. "It belongs to my HUSBAND, if that's what you're asking. Now, go to work Nosy Nellie. We'll talk at break."

She bounced through the door five minutes early, bearing coffee and pastries. Beverly refused to say a word until they had their snack and were sipping their coffee.

"Dave and I are back together, Jen. We have things to work out, and counseling will probably be involved, so I may miss a few hours now and then. It probably won't be as easy as I'd like, and there will probably be times when I'm depressed and snappy, but bear with me. I know I've probably never told you, but you're my rock here in the office. I'm most likely going to lean on you more than usual. That being said, I have approval to raise your salary seven percent. It's not a lot, but it's the best I can do. Thank you for standing by me."

Jen was both elated by the news and saddened deeply. Her husband had just gotten a promotion and would be transferring to another state in three months. He was given the news Friday. His company had also helped line some referrals up for her, and she was flying out next week to spend a day doing interviews. They were both crying as she told her the news.

"I still have eleven more weeks, boss. I'll help you find someone new, someone who will be as loyal as I am."

They hugged and went back to work. She thought about it on the way home, and as she pulled into the drive, it hit her. Marsha!

She talked it over with Dave and he thought it was an excellent idea. Ari was a bundle of energy, loving on both of them. She gave her a bath, sat down and read her a story while she rocked her gently to sleep. She passed her off to Marsha and got comfortable on the couch while they waited, snuggled up under Dave's arm.

She came back downstairs and they called her over to them. "Marsha, could you sit a moment? We have some things to discuss with you. First, how come you're still here? We care a lot about both of you, honey, you know that, right? You can tell us anything."

They noticed how unsettled she was all evening, but when they asked, the waterworks started. "Grandpa threw us out! When we didn't come home last night, he went into a rage. I think he's drinking again. He told me I had to go, but Ari was staying because he wanted the money! I came straight home and locked the doors. He won't let us have our clothes, our records, any of the things we need. What am I going to do?"

Beverly grabbed her and put her on the sofa between them. They both petted her until she calmed down. It hit Beverly that night as she was snuggled in their bed that Marsha had said, "I came straight home." That made her very happy.

They discussed it as soon as she was rational again. "First, you need to go to the courts and petition for custody right away, tomorrow if we can get you a lawyer. You'll give them this address as your home. The first thing they're going to want to know is if you can support her. Right now you're unemployed, so that may be a problem. Have you ever held a job before?"

Marsha tearfully admitted she had worked at a few burger places but not for very long.

Dave had a small smile on his face. He knew how Beverly's mind worked and knew if she asked the question she already had the answer. "Well then, the first thing we need to do is get you gainfully employed. Fortunately for you I have some openings at my company. You'll start Wednesday, after you fill out the paperwork."

Marsha had stopped snuffling and asked timidly what she would be doing. "It just so happens I'll be needing a personal assistant in three months. It requires at least a two year degree, so you'll have to take classes at night. If you fail or stop going, you automatically lose your job. I have faith in you honey. Don't let us down."

*****

Marsha finally stopped crying, and Beverly and Dave got into bed. He kissed Bev firmly as soon as she slid under the sheets.

"Not that I'm complaining, but what was that for?"

"That's for what you did for Marsha and Ari. You know we're going to have to arrange childcare for Ari. Luckily for us, Sol offers free daycare for his employees, so I'll enroll her tomorrow. She'll ride back and forth with me. Marsha will ride with you. Should we look at getting her transportation?"

Bev got quiet for a while and he asked what she was thinking.

"What are we doing here, Dave? We're back together, something I seriously thought wouldn't happen at times, and we're taking in two girls, something I could never see happening at all. Are we pushing too hard? I don't want anything to come between us at this stage in our life."

"Should we turn our backs on them? Send them back to their grandfather and wish them the best of luck?"

Her grip on him got tighter. "Absolutely not. If something happens and we can't keep them, I will personally make sure they land somewhere safe. They're better off where they are right now than anywhere we could think of. I'd like to keep them as long as we can. Please, honey?"

"Oh, we're definitely going to keep them. Marsha's legally an adult, even if she's not prepared to function like one. Ari is the one I'm worried about. She's four, and if we keep her she'll imprint on us. We'll become the parent figures in her life. Are you all right with that?"

She was quiet for a minute. "Two years ago, I would have run from them. Three months ago, I would have waffled over the idea. But now, as long as you're part of the package, it fills me with great joy. I don't have any idea how to do it, but I'd like to try."

It came out of his mouth before he thought. "We'll make it, baby. Both of us made mistakes in the past. You should have given at least part of your attention to us instead of being so fixated on climbing the corporate ladder. I should have been firmer and demanded you remember that even if you were my boss at work, we were partners in life. These are mistakes I'll never repeat. I plan on being more open with my thoughts and a bit more forceful in my actions just to make sure it never happens again. I still think counseling is a good idea. After the dust settles with our kids, we need to look into that."

He felt tears on his shoulder and wondered if he had gone too far. He asked and she slapped his arm playfully. "These aren't tears of sadness, they're tears of joy. I never thought the term 'our kids' would ever come out of your mouth or that I would be so thrilled to hear them. They're the missing link, my love. We got so focused on ourselves, well, in my case anyway, that we forgot what life is like. Children force you to prioritize. Suddenly, it's not all about you anymore, it's about them. I want to experience that so much. Now, let's go to sleep. I have a daughter to train in the business world tomorrow, and you can make damn sure she won't learn the lessons I learned the hard way. You've got to enroll our baby in daycare. I'd love to see the look in Sol's eyes when you show up with Ari tomorrow."

"We need to call out tomorrow, Bev, at least half a day. I'm sure Marsha needs a wardrobe, especially since her grandfather locked her out of the house, as does Ari. I need to see Sol about daycare because technically, Ari isn't ours. Plus, you need to get her a lawyer lined up for custody. We need to move on that fast. Sometime tomorrow I'm going to see their grandfather and see if I can get him onboard with what's happening. It'll make the transfer of custody a lot less complicated."

"Agreed," she said in her business voice. "And you were right about transportation. She'll need a car to get back and forth to school. We can do that in a couple of months, after she's settled into her job. What kind should we get her?"

"Let's wait two months and then get her input. No hotrods, nothing too expensive. A starter car should be something we don't have to worry about her dinging. We just need to make sure it's safe."

"Your end of the world, honey. You can handle that. Now, we need to sleep. Lots to do tomorrow."

*****

They woke with a smile and a plan to their personal little alarm clock. It occurred to Beverly when they were intimate they'd have to make sure the door was locked. She giggled at the thought. Marsha didn't quite know what to think, and Ari had no clue about the changes coming into her life. She hustled them into the car for a trip to the mall. She showed Marsha the type of clothes she needed to maintain a professional appearance, and she chose well. Then she told her to pick some non-working clothes. There were a few miniskirts that she wanted approval for, and four or five pair of very well fitting jeans. She picked up some basic tees and a couple of cuter tops, and then she was set. Beverly sent her to pick her own underwear, telling her to bear in mind how it would look under her professional clothes.

She then concentrated on Ari. It was all a wonder to her, but it didn't take long before she was giggling and cooing as Beverly had her try on several outfits, as well as some really pretty dresses. She didn't like the shoe store until Beverly showed her a pair of pink sneakers, and then she cooperated. Dave met them for lunch and tried to act interested when they told him about their purchases. They finally gave up. He'd just have to experience them one at a time. Dave switched the car seat to his truck and they waved as he and Ari pulled out.

Jen was surprised when she showed up with a woman so young. She was surprised even more when she told her what she wanted. "See if she's trainable, and if she has any business skills at all. I need total honesty after you work with her for a few days. If she's competent, she'll be taking your place. If she's not, we'll find her another position."

"Who is this girl to you?"

Beverly flushed as she explained how she came to know her. Jen actually laughed. "I wish I was around to watch. Does she call you Mom?"

"Not yet. I'd like to hear it, though, sometime in my life."

She showed her pictures of Ari. Most were while Dave held her. "I'm afraid she's going to be a Daddy's girl. I can deal with that, as long as I get the big one. It'll be easier with her."

Jen almost fell over in a fit of giggles. "Really? A teen, as pretty as she is? What's going to happen the first time she brings home a boy you don't think is good enough for her? You better get used to sleepless nights."

Beverly hadn't thought about that. She wondered if Dave still had that old double barreled shotgun he'd inherited from his grandfather, and if it still worked.

Marsha was completely overwhelmed with the whole experience, and just followed Jen around like a puppy. They took her to HR and got her paperwork started. She came in on the lowest entry level salary, $22,000 a year. She thought it was a fortune. Beverly just smiled. "Wait until you have to pay your own bills. It won't seem like nearly as much then."

She saw Marsha frown and hastened to comfort her. "That's years down the road, honey. I refuse to let you move out until you have a degree, at the very least. Then we'll see how you feel about it."

She was quiet on the way home. Beverly asked her how she liked her day. "It overwhelmed me, but I'll learn. Look at the role model I have."

Beverly glowed and Marsha spoke again, a small, shy voice replacing the confident one. "I may have made a mistake today. One of the other secretaries asked who I was and Jen told them I was your daughter. I was so shocked I didn't correct her. The word is out, you may have noticed the strange looks."

She had noticed, but shrugged them off. She was trying to save the company and her ass, so she expected some strange looks.

"Don't tell them any differently. Maybe they'll treat you better. I could think of worse things to be called, and have been called."

They arrived home to find Dave and his little helper had prepared dinner, grilled chicken and vegetables. They ate like they had slaved in the salt mines.

*****

He wished he had recorded the look on Sol's face when he told him why he was late and what he needed. Ari was in his arms, her little hands locked around his neck. He immediately called Susan, who must have set a speed record getting to the plant. She had that grandmother vibe down just right, and soon Ari was in her arms while they talked. He explained the whole wonderful weekend to them. Susan had tears in her eyes, which confused Ari. Sol looked a little misty-eyed and he made a comment about the cleaning crew not dusting well, but he was smiling the whole time.

In no time at all, Susan had Ari by the hand, towing them along to the pre-school. Ari wasn't used to being with people her age and was a little clingy, but the teacher soon had her coaxed into joining them in a game. An hour later, she barely acknowledged Dave when he left.

He gave Susan and Sol their history as he knew it and asked if they knew any good family law experts. Susan was on the phone immediately. Seems one of the Boards she sat on specialized in children in difficult situations. She got a family law judge to get them an appointment with what she considered the best expert in the field. She made it after normal hours to help them. He couldn't wait to tell Bev.

Susan brought him back down to earth with some pretty pointed questions. "So, one weekend with your wife and having these children dumped in your life makes everything all right?"

"Not in the least, Susan. We have a lot of feelings and old wounds to sort out. The children won't make it any easier. We plan to find a good marriage counselor, and later on, if things work out, we'll make a few visits to a family expert to smooth the path for all of us. I know this, though: we still love each other. We are also developing strong feelings for those two girls. You know how goal-oriented and driven Bev can be when she wants something, and she wants the whole package. I think this weekend has shown her what we missed out on by not having children and sees this as a chance to correct an old mistake. It'll be up to me to keep her reeled in and balanced. It will be up to her not to return to her old ways. The first hint of that and I'll be all over her. So, no, it's not going to be an easy path, but it's one we're both willing to walk."

Sol grinned. "Well done, Dave. I can tell you from experience it will be worth all the pain and heartbreak that's coming your way when you watch them leave the nest. Stay the course, my son, and the rewards will be more than you can ever imagine. Now, go to work! You have a family to support now."

Dave did work a few hours, and was not ashamed to say he was seriously ineffective. Ari bounded into his arms when he came to pick her up, rattling on about what she had learned and all the friends she'd made. The director of the facility smiled at him. "Get used to it. She seems really bright, and it might be in your best interests to get her tested in a few years. It will be a challenge to us to keep her from getting bored. Here's a list of things you'll need to get. If you're uncomfortable with it, get her mother to give us a call and we'll go over what you guys can expect. Have a good night. Bye,Ari."

She ruffled her hair and walked away humming. The woman must have really loved her job. H got his baby settled into her seat and asked her what she'd like for dinner. "Chicken," she declared.

He got a few of the toys Bev had bought and put her where he could see her while he grilled. He noted the way she was especially fond of a stuffed dog and he wondered how she would like a real one. She did have a birthday coming up.

The big girls got home and Ari ran to them laughing. Bev scooped her up and placed her on her hip like she'd been doing it since the child was born. She was trying her best to tell them she was going to 'school' now, with friends and a nice lady named Ms. Rose. He kissed Bev, and Marsha looked so lost he kissed her on the cheek. "Get changed, girls. Ari and I made dinner and it will be ready in ten minutes."

Ari followed them into the house, singing and laughing as she tried to hold both hands at the same time. Ten minutes later, they reappeared, all changed into shorts and tees, even Ari.

The picnic table was quickly set, the tea and lemonade poured, the chicken plated, the veggies arranged on a large platter. Ari had just gotten back from Bible School at a local church the week before, and she grabbed his hand. "Grace!" she said, so, they all held hands while he thanked God for the food and his girls. That was enough for Ari, and she called out "Amen!" as she pointed to the roasted carrots. Bev helped her with her plate, chopping everything into small pieces.

That night after a ritual of baths, stories, and the rocker, Bev snuggled to him. She seemed to want to bring something up but didn't seem to know how. "Bev! We promised to be honest with each other. If something bothers or concerns you, you have to share."

'Why did we quit going to church?"

"Short answer? We got too busy, and too lazy. Why? What brought that on?"

"Ari, when she insisted we say grace. We need to find a church. It will look good when we have Social Services around investigating us."

"I refuse to go to a house of worship just to keep up appearances because I'd be afraid the roof would fall in. I agree it would probably be good for both of the girls, but it would also be good for us. We could get involved in activities for people our age and get a new circle of friends. It could end up being a new support group for us. Let's talk it over with the girls before the weekend and get their thoughts."

That apparently made her happy, because she shimmied around a bit and he felt bare bottom up against a suddenly very interested part of his body. "Lock the door," she whispered as her top flew across the room.

They woke to Ari pounding on the door, upset that she couldn't get in. He dove for the bathroom while Bev slipped into her robe and opened the door. Ari was crying but soon settled down as Bev cuddled her. "No more locked doors," she told him the next night. "If we need time alone, we'll make sure the door is open when we're done. Got it?"

They fell into a routine the next few weeks. Ari never missed a day of waking them up, diving on the bed for kisses and hugs while she chattered happily about what she was going to do at school. Marsha had been taking makeup lessons from Bev, and she'd get ready for work while they entertained Ari. In her professional dress with proper makeup, she looked a lot older than eighteen. Dave wasn't happy about that. Bev would laugh.

"Everybody knows she's the boss's daughter. There may be some interest, I would be disappointed if there wasn't, as pretty as she is, but it's a professional environment and Jen and I watch her like a hawk. Still, she's eighteen, and I think that because of her home situation, she hasn't had very many dates. I think she'll be really popular when she does start dating. Did you ever find that shotgun?"

"Yes, and I bought a box of buckshot."

Bev was still laughing when she went down to breakfast.

...

The grandfather finally came to the house after the girls had been with them for three weeks. He came when Dave and Beverly were gone. They had taken Ari with them to the grocery store, and Marsha stayed home to fix dinner. He knocked on the door, and when she answered it, he demanded they come home. Marsha tried to reason with him, saying they wanted to remain where they were, and he got really agitated. She thought he might have been drinking. Of course, as soon as they got Ari down for the night, she told them all about it. Dave indicated he would be going over to talk to him the next day, but Beverly talked him out of it.

1...456789